Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I saw the coolest thing ever

Satty

Yeah, Canadian geese are bitches. I was out golfing last year and there were a flock of them just standing there around my ball. I starting walking toward them, and some flew away, and there was one who started stretching his neck and wings out. I'da clubbed him with my 5 iron.

I saw two geese in a knock-down, drag-out fight. There were a bunch of other geese around watching these two beat the $h! out of each other. It was fantastic. Canadian geese suck, I hope they all kill each other.

Probably trying to out brag each other on which one can really take down a US Airways flight.

There's a little pond at Iowa State where all the Canadian geese would hang out, and we passed by it almost every day to get to the dining center. My buddy was always riling up the geese, making noises and flapping his arms at them. It got to the point where they knew who we were 1/2 a block away and would stand off to the side hissing the entire time we walked by.

Those damn things are a curse, incredibly overpopulated.

They taste pretty good though.

I grew up with a pond in my backyard, so I've dealt with them all of my life. There was a breeding pair that would come every year to nest there. At the time, the population wasn't so massive, so we watched them raise their goslings and saw it as a positive thing that not everyone got to see.

One year, a rival pair invaded the pond and a major battle ensued. The ganders fought until the usurper actually knocked our resident gander out cold for a good 20 minutes or so. The pair that had been there for years (seasonally) were driven off and their eggs destroyed. The usurping pair then nested, but failed to take proper care of the eggs which did not survive.

They are nasty, if successful, beasts. And, like deer, need to have serious controls placed on their populations as they are an extreme hazard to the environment at this point.

Wrong.

THIS is the coolest thing ever:

672585184422747ae76fb37az9.jpg

not in due west SC hehe. have a buddy thats got a pond in his front yard. one of em landed in his pond. he asked me one day "do you know what a .270 will do to a goose?" i said no. "poof" at 70yds

Doesn't work around here, unfortunately. Suburbia has created a huge un-huntable zone which the geese now overwhelm. There are so many of them that they are literally poisoning the water supply and causing fishkills while denuding the land of vegetation. The conditions we have atificially created have even changed their nature in that we now have resident populations that no longer migrate. The situation is much the same with deer. Both species are doing major ecological damage and need to be treated as vermin. One way or another, their populations need to be brought down to levels that are in better balance with the local environment.

No one seems to like my solutions ( mass exterminations or the re-introduction of predator species), but something needs to be done.

Hah! I remember being out fishing on the boat with my father once when I was about eight years old and a huge flock of Canadian geese landed on the beautifully manicured lawn of the nicest home on the lake. The homeowner, half awake, walked out onto his back deck in just a bathrobe and boxers, and lit a HUGE string of firecrackers. He threw it directly into the middle of the geese and when they went off, they cleared out mighty fast! To this day, my father and I still fish that lake and we haven't seen any Canadian geese on that lawn since!

Doesn't work around here, unfortunately. Suburbia has created a huge un-huntable zone which the geese now overwhelm. There are so many of them that they are literally poisoning the water supply and causing fishkills while denuding the land of vegetation. The conditions we have atificially created have even changed their nature in that we now have resident populations that no longer migrate. The situation is much the same with deer. Both species are doing major ecological damage and need to be treated as vermin. One way or another, their populations need to be brought down to levels that are in better balance with the local environment.

No one seems to like my solutions ( mass exterminations or the re-introduction of predator species), but something needs to be done.

we had a bad deer overpopulation at the local airport. had a deer strike too. they got a local hunting club to come in and take care of business. the local animal rights people want to build an 8 ft fence to keep em out. evidently they dont read much about deer being able to jump 6ft just standing. they re-introduced red wolves back into the blue ridge mountains to maintain the elk they re-introduced 4 years before as well.

Wrong again... boobs are the icing on the cake, it's all about the Vagina. :wink:

We have Geese and Deer at my campus (Our campus is HUGE and mostly wooded -- it's out away from the city) The Geese are such a pain in the ass. I witnessed a fight one day as well, which was fun. But for some reason, they don't like me too much. I'll be walking by them on a pathway and one is almost always guaranteed to hiss or run and flap it's wings. The deer aren't as annoying, but they're EVERYWHERE.

One of my GF's architecture teachers is Canadian (He's a real fruit loop) He pissed off a students in a critique once and the student said "Why don't you go back to Canada.... And take you're f*cking geese with you) Everyone laughs about it now... I about fell out of my chair. The guy hates/won't even talk to me. I mean after all, I'm a big moutain man 'ignant consevative' (In that building I automatically become a bible thumping conservative, just because I love to piss the uber libs off)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

We have Geese and Deer at my campus (Our campus is HUGE and mostly wooded -- it's out away from the city) The Geese are such a pain in the ass. I witnessed a fight one day as well, which was fun. But for some reason, they don't like me too much. I'll be walking by them on a pathway and one is almost always guaranteed to hiss or run and flap it's wings. The deer aren't as annoying, but they're EVERYWHERE.

One of my GF's architecture teachers is Canadian (He's a real fruit loop) He pissed off a students in a critique once and the student said "Why don't you go back to Canada.... And take you're f*cking geese with you) Everyone laughs about it now... I about fell out of my chair. The guy hates/won't even talk to me. I mean after all, I'm a big moutain man 'ignant consevative' (In that building I automatically become a bible thumping conservative, just because I love to piss the uber libs off)

I would love to sit in on a class and watch the fur fly!

I wonder if I could avoid laughing out loud...

Migrating Canada Geese could nearly destroy an entire field of winter wheat in no time. We used to make scarecrows out of burlap bags to keep them out... they worked to an extent. There was usually a 50 foot circle of wheat left around each scarecrow. Luckily, most of the time the crop would survive and grow back, but it was difficult, as by that time of year it was almost too cold for growth. Sometimes my uncle would just spend his day driving around our farm and to all the farms we rented, shooting his gun in the air to scare them off temporarily. Farmers were always relieved when goose hunting season came. Edited by ocnblu