Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Honda CR-V Fires Continue

mustang84

Man, you'd think Honda would have relocated the oil filter to solve this serious problem by now. Are they ever going to do it, or will they keep shifting the blame to the dealerships?

Posted Image

To no mechanics surprise, the CRV fires have continued to be reported on the 2005 model year CRV.

Here is a description of the design change that seems to makes this model more susceptible to the fires than the old ones.

"For the GEN2 CR-V, the oil filter is located in close proximity to the hottest portion of the exhaust system; in the GEN1 design the engine block separate these components. Additionally, and due primarliy to more stringent tailpipe emission standrads,the GEN2 exhaust system's surfaces reach significantly higher temperatures than the GEN1 design for the same operating conditions"

We were told that this design was no more susceptible to a fire than the old design where the oil filter was separated from the exhaust. But apparently, real life data shows that this might not the case.

Make: HONDA
Model: CR-V
Year: 2005

Summary:
OUR 2005 HONDA CRV'S ENGINE CAUGHT ON FIRE APPROIMATELY. 300 MILES AFTER THE FIRST OIL CHANGE. THE DEALER PERFORMED THE OIL CHANGE NOT US. THE DEALER BLAMED IT ON A FAULTY OIL FILTER.*AK

Summary:
FIRST OIL CHANGE AT DEALERSHIP ON MY 2005 HONDA CRV AT 3500 MILES. FLAMES BURSTING OUT THE FOLLOWING DAY, WITH OIL SPRAYING ALL OVER. NO INJURIES. TOWED TO DEALER TO FIX. OXYGEN SENSORS NEEDED REPLACING. APPARENTLY, THIS DEFECT HAS BEEN KNOWN ABOUT FOR A COUPLE YEARS, BUT DEALER STILL FLUBBED THE OIL CHANGE.

Summary:
HE HAD HIS OIL CHANGED ON 6-21-05 AND HIS VEHICLE CAUGHT ON FIRE ON 6-23-05.

EDIT: It's not just the CR-V anymore...Elements are now catching fire.
Linky

Edited by mustang84

My friend's mom recently bought a CR-V.  I warned her to make sure Honda does the oil changes, becaues if they don't and it catches fire, you're pretty much f*cked

[post="2996"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, and even if Honda does do the oil changes.....you are still pretty much f*cked if you burn alive......forget having your car replaced.

Yeah, and even if Honda does do the oil changes.....you are still pretty much f*cked if you burn alive......forget having your car replaced.

[post="3025"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Point taken.
If I had a say, I would've pushed her to something else, but alas, I don't.
I think an Equinox would've looked betterin the d'way anyway

Slightly O/T. Do Vue's have this fire problem at all. Cuz I know they use a Honda Engine(not sure if its the same as in the CR-V)?

Burn M****F***ER let it burn, let it burn! Every time an Element or CRV burn to a crisp an Angel gets his wings! :P Edited by Sixty8panther

This is a serious problem that you can't blame on the dealers. After all, don't they have to be trained by Honda? Its not a legitimate excuse and even if by some stretch it was, Honda dealers = Honda. To the public, blaming the service tech is like blaming Doug in engineering; he still works for you.

"BV" must be burning now, since he used to be HONDA MAN! :lol: OK, so what next. Avalons with steering wheels falling off. CR-Vs catching fire. So long for the "leading brands". Or maybe Civics and Corollas recalled because the engine only has 3 functional cylinders, as the workers forgot to install the 4th?

Suddenly remembered the last weekend, a Honda dealer was having a live show onthe local Chinese radio. They got some radio celebs to do a promo. One of the guys was praising the 05 CR-V leftovers as if they were made in heaven, and it was sooo great of a car. Makes me embarassed for being Chinese. It's like in the community if you drive a non-Euro or non-Asian marque, you're an alien. Edited by ToniCipriani

This is a serious problem that you can't blame on the dealers. After all, don't they have to be trained by Honda?

Its not a legitimate excuse and even if by some stretch it was, Honda dealers = Honda. To the public, blaming the service tech is like blaming Doug in engineering; he still works for you.

[post="3366"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I am sure there should be some idiot proof in the engineering... I mean engineers should know that over the lifetime of a couple million suvs, someone is bound to do just what they are not supposed to do... if there is a chance it can happen, it will!

The real problem here isn't only the fires, but that Honda refuses to do anything about it. A simply shield underneath the oil filter could probably cut the number in half. However, they refuse to do so. I guess thats cause Honda's never break, and never need recalls, right :rolleyes:

I'd love to see a demolition derby wiht just a few select cars allowed: Toyota Previa Toyota Camry Toyota Echo Honda Civic Honda Element Honda Ridgeline

It seems inexcusable that Honda has yet to fix this problem after so long. Is Honda waiting for owners to get burned to death or what? Why not just release a simple fix (shield or whatever) and have it installed before the vehicle is sold or whenever an existing owner comes in for an oil change. It seems to me that any of the Big 2.5 would have released a good, inexpensive fix long ago, especially to avoid any threat of class action litigation. Honda must be full of itself to do nothing to prevent these fires.

(Except for the owners) This is the best possible thing to happen to Honda! or Toyota! or any Jap-Trap-Piece-of-Crap! Spread the news! And, these bloody Honda owners have their heads shoved so far up their (and Honda's, I suppose) derrieres about how great Hondas are and what-not. I have some friends that I hadn't seen is awhile, and when I was speaking with them, I said that I had gotten a new vehicle (new=different/better) and that it was a Plymouth Breeze. I told them that I had driven a Honda Civic, but it was a bit expensive for what it was. Their reply? "Oh, the extra money is definitely worth it." Ha! Any recently developed American car is as good as the Asian marques'.