Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daves87rs

1.4 for the Cruze....

35 posts in this topic

And since I'm on a oil kick, I figured I'd ask the question:

What do you think the factory fill for that 1.4 turbo is going to be Mobil 1?

Most likely Mobil 1. Just a guess though.

Agreed. That baby is going to put out some heat....

Agreed. That baby is going to put out some heat....

Given that it is designed for Economy and the oil is going to have to endure the pretty hot turbocharger circuit... my guess is either the 0W-20 or 0W-30 Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Formulas.

70 dollar oil changes like VW's? negates the fuel savings IMHO.

Note really... $7 per quart x 4 quarts = $28 for the oil. About $20 more than cheap oil.

The labor is the same. Plus, that EPA mpg rating helps sell cars -- advertising that you use crappy oil does not.

Plus, the oil change interval is probably somewhere between 7,500 and 15,000 miles which you cannot achieve with cheap petroleum bases.

Nope...With synthetic becoming more mainstream, it should get cheaper.

Worst case, the is a 5qt jug of Supertech Syn oil for 17.50......

Given that it is designed for Economy and the oil is going to have to endure the pretty hot turbocharger circuit... my guess is either the 0W-20 or 0W-30 Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Formulas.

It might still be able to do that on 5w30....

It might still be able to do that on 5w30....

Well... the thinner the viscosity, the lower the amount of internal drag on the engine from moving the oil around -- which translates to better economy and also a few extra horsepower all else being equal. Ideally, you want the thinnest oil which offers adequate film strength for the bearings and cam lobes in the engine. Most modern engine designed with economy in mind are designed to use 5W-20 these days... most Honda engines and Ford engines are now 5W-20. The 0W-20 is basically the same 20 viscosity oil but with better start-up protection and winter flow rates.

Modern Synthetics and tight engine tolerances also means that drain intervals are a few times what they used to be. The current Honda Civic for instance designed for 10,000 miles between oil changes on conventional 5W-20 oil or 15,000 miles on 0W-20 synthetics. This is from a company who has a reputation for building engines which easily run for over 200,000 miles spending no unscheduled time in the shop so I am pretty sure the thin oil and long drain intervals have been thoroughly proven.

Edited by dwightlooi

At the dealer?

10 dollars/quart plus $10 oil filter plus $20 labor?

VWs have free maintenance for 3 years.

If VW is any indication, the Cruze's 1.4 turbo will be filled with dino oil from the factory... followed by reports of sludge, a TSB requiring synthetic oil, and then finally an extended warranty.

I thought GM filled everything from Ecotecs to HF3.6s to LS-whatevers with Mobile one these days.

I thought GM filled everything from Ecotecs to HF3.6s to LS-whatevers with Mobile one these days.

Only high-performance GM engines (Vette, CTS) use Mobil 1... the rest (Ecotec, front-drive V6, even Escalade's 6.2) still use regular oil.

About the Cruze, I believe the global 1.8 VVT will be the base US engine. The 1.4 turbo will be the more powerful, more fuel efficient option.

Whats the point of two engines in the 140hp range? So far the Cruze is not on my list for a new work car.

<!--quoteo(post=473438:date=Feb 23 2009, 11:25 PM:name=regfootball)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (regfootball @ Feb 23 2009, 11:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=473438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->70 dollar oil changes like VW's? negates the fuel savings IMHO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope...With synthetic becoming more mainstream, it should get cheaper.

Worst case, the is a 5qt jug of Supertech Syn oil for 17.50......

Supertech Syn oil :yes: Works well in Roadmaster :D

Whats the point of two engines in the 140hp range? So far the Cruze is not on my list for a new work car.

They may have similar peak outputs, but I would guess the powerband and fuel economy differences will show why both are there.

Supertech Syn oil :yes: Works well in Roadmaster :D

It's not bad for the price....

About the Cruze, I believe the global 1.8 VVT will be the base US engine. The 1.4 turbo will be the more powerful, more fuel efficient option.

That could be strange to the customers then...

<!--quoteo(post=473448:date=Feb 23 2009, 09:26 PM:name=daves87rs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (daves87rs @ Feb 23 2009, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=473448"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It might still be able to do that on 5w30....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well... the thinner the viscosity, the lower the amount of internal drag on the engine from moving the oil around -- which translates to better economy and also a few extra horsepower all else being equal. Ideally, you want the thinnest oil which offers adequate film strength for the bearings and cam lobes in the engine. Most modern engine designed with economy in mind are designed to use 5W-20 these days... most Honda engines and Ford engines are now 5W-20. The 0W-20 is basically the same 20 viscosity oil but with better start-up protection and winter flow rates.

Modern Synthetics and tight engine tolerances also means that drain intervals are a few times what they used to be. The current Honda Civic for instance designed for 10,000 miles between oil changes on conventional 5W-20 oil or 15,000 miles on 0W-20 synthetics. This is from a company who has a reputation for building engines which easily run for over 200,000 miles spending no unscheduled time in the shop so I am pretty sure the thin oil and long drain intervals have been thoroughly proven.

It's funny you say that.

I've been considering switching my Ecotecs from the 5w30 to the 0w30.....

They may have similar peak outputs, but I would guess the powerband and fuel economy differences will show why both are there.

They are so close to HP and torque that the one providing the best fuel economy should be installed as standard giving other people the chance to have more hp and torque. For myself a DI 2.4VVT would get me to look closer at the Cruze, right now it does not warrant stopping at a Chevy store for a look see. Yes I know they are not at the stores yet.

They are so close to HP and torque that the one providing the best fuel economy should be installed as standard giving other people the chance to have more hp and torque. For myself a DI 2.4VVT would get me to look closer at the Cruze, right now it does not warrant stopping at a Chevy store for a look see. Yes I know they are not at the stores yet.

That would have to be a high end model there...

That would have to be a high end model there...

Not that high end, since the engine's been around for a while. I wouldn't mind seeing a larger/more powerful ecotec in the Cruze as well, but GM's trying to boost their mpg #s.

Not that high end, since the engine's been around for a while. I wouldn't mind seeing a larger/more powerful ecotec in the Cruze as well, but GM's trying to boost their mpg #s.

Give me the engine, keep the heated seats, keep the heated mirrors, keep the stabilitrack, keep the DIC, keep the sunroof, keep the leather, start letting people option cars the way they want them. I'll start with the

From what I understand the 1.4 delivers more torque at a much lower RPM which makes a big difference over the 1.8L.

From what I understand the 1.4 delivers more torque at a much lower RPM which makes a big difference over the 1.8L.

If the torque curve is closer to being flat then it makes a big difference :yes: