Detroit 3 Trucks Rematch - Car and Driver

Z-06

Linkity

Dodge Ram vs. Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado

truck_comparo_28_gallery_image_large.jpg

Truckin' through the apocalypse: Under ominous economic skies, we compare the best big-iron pickups Detroit has ever offered.

Highs: Solid structure, quick on its feet, precise steering, smooth pavement ride, highest mpg.

Lows: Noisiest within, smallest rear cabin, so-so interior materials, minimal stowage inside.

The Verdict: Still exceptionally sturdy and still sweet to drive but upstaged by its newer rivals.

Highs: Parlor-size rear cabin, flat rear floor, heroic load and tow ratings, quiet operation.

Lows: Power not up to capability ratings, overzealous stability control, squishy brake pedal.

The Verdict: A railroad trestle on wheels that's about 50 horsepower short of outstanding

First: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Crew Cab

Highs: Hemi V-8 muscle and hustle, uptown ride quality, Ram Box bed-rail storage, roomy interior.

Lows: Diminished work ethic, Hemi muscle begets Hemi thirst for fuel, anesthetized steering.

The Verdict: Dodge changes the state of the art—and the rules—in the full-size-pickup game.

My buddy has an '08 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4X4 Crew Cab- there is no issues whatsoever with interior noise.... unless Chevy deleted a bunch of insulation for '09, I don't buy it as significant enough to mention.

Read the linked article- all have excellent attributes, but significantly & without a doubt, the entire forced ranking system of magazine comparisons is tired & of little to no use. Time to dump it. All points of contention mentioned are subjective relative to the end user's needs & preferences. I mean- wondering if the Dodge's 2-tone paint will take in Texas- who are these guys? Not to mention, these 3 are all great trucks that are extremely competitive with each other- really too close to call. Dump The Rank.

-- -- -- -- --

As a sidebar- I have been eyeballing the current stylisitic gen of the Silverado since it debuted, and I still cannot wrap my mind around how Chevy managed to make it look 1-2 feet wider than the Ford & Dodge.

Edited by balthazar

I saw an '09 Dodge today in a med. metallic red...very handsome truck, IMHO. Regarding the visual width of the Silverado--it's the stacked headlights...the grille is wider than the competition with lights vertical out on the edges...

I don't know where they get that the Silverado has alot of cabin noise. I thought my 09 was pretty quiet on the inside. I also thought that the materials for the interior were a really good choice. Alot better than in my 05 anyway. Doesn't suprise me Car and Driver always bashes GM when they can.

I don't know where they get that the Silverado has alot of cabin noise. I thought my 09 was pretty quiet on the inside. I also thought that the materials for the interior were a really good choice. Alot better than in my 05 anyway. Doesn't suprise me Car and Driver always bashes GM when they can.

1.) GM won the last truck shootout

2.) Of course it's interior is better than the `05...the bar was set pretty damn low

3.) Interior was better than the competition then, the Ford and the Dodge have just raised the bar is all.

4.) They didn't bash it

You’d go home with a truck that would serve you well. But there are a couple of others here that might serve even better.

That is not bashing.

The Ram must be Lucerne like inside.

I think it's the best looking of the three, but if the Sierra had been included I would have gone with that for looks.

I'm impressed that two pushrod V8s were more powerful and capable than an OHC V8. I always thought pushrods were the suxors!!@!

Additionally I Lawled at this:

The Chevy’s logbook also contained praise for GM’s ........ column shifter.

>>"2.) Of course it's interior is better than the `05...the bar was set pretty damn low

3.) Interior was better than the competition then, the Ford and the Dodge have just raised the bar is all."<<

The " '05 bar" is NOT what I would call "damn low" at all. Trucks should not be judged by the same criteria as cars, period. Soft-touch & padded vinyls DO NOT LAST in the environmental useage of a truck. '05-generation has excellent functionality, practicality & ergonomics- primary criteria for buying a truck in the first place.

Sorry, but most of the reviews of car rags in general ring this true: new wins over old. Keep in mind: the entire publishing industry revolves around pushing this, or the next issue isn't nearly as 'exciting'.

>>"The Chevy’s logbook also contained praise for GM’s ........ column shifter."<<

Now this one is shocking for it's honesty. Ergonomics & practicality ranking over 'sportiness' & 'modern' ?? Somebody @ C&D didn't read the memo.

>>"2.) Of course it's interior is better than the `05...the bar was set pretty damn low

3.) Interior was better than the competition then, the Ford and the Dodge have just raised the bar is all."<<

The " '05 bar" is NOT what I would call "damn low" at all. Trucks should not be judged by the same criteria as cars, period.

The reality, though, for many years, is that most trucks have been bought by normal car buyers to be used as cars... so most people expect car like interiors in trucks (an industrial grade gray plastic interior doesn't cut it in a $40k truck), that's part of why most trucks today are extended and crew cabs. Which is why it makes sense that GM offers both commerical-grade and civilian grade interior lines in their trucks with the current generation.

1.) GM won the last truck shootout

2.) Of course it's interior is better than the `05...the bar was set pretty damn low

3.) Interior was better than the competition then, the Ford and the Dodge have just raised the bar is all.

4.) They didn't bash it

That is not bashing.

I didn't think that the bar was set that low in my 05. I really liked that truck and if I wouldn't have got such a good deal on the 09 id still have it. I thought the interior was better than the rest. I looked at all three truck when buying and I only liked the Silverado. The Ford and Dodges gauges are weirdley set up and the console shifter I didn't care for too much. They didn't bash them this time, but alot of other times they do thats why I don't read their garbage.

I didn't think that the bar was set that low in my 05. I really liked that truck and if I wouldn't have got such a good deal on the 09 id still have it. I thought the interior was better than the rest. I looked at all three truck when buying and I only liked the Silverado. The Ford and Dodges gauges are weirdley set up and the console shifter I didn't care for too much. They didn't bash them this time, but alot of other times they do thats why I don't read their garbage.

It's pretty unanimous among non GM fans that the last gen Silverado had a cheap, poorly built, ugly looking interior. Was it functional? Sure, but the current gen shows that it doesn't have to look like a poorly assembled brick. Personally, I think the generation before last was better.

It's pretty unanimous among non GM fans that the last gen Silverado had a cheap, poorly built, ugly looking interior. Was it functional? Sure, but the current gen shows that it doesn't have to look like a poorly assembled brick. Personally, I think the generation before last was better.

I'm not a truck fan, but the '09 Silverado I rode in recently with the Tahoe style dash seemed quite nice.

Oh yea I agree with you. The interior on them was pretty cheap and it did have its creeks and noises now and then. Look wise I never thought it was as bad as some people thought, but material wise yea it was cheap. I did however like it better than the generation before, but thats just my taste. Everyone likes different things.

If you're looking for a big, comfortable, mall cruiser that can also handle the boat on weekends and the occasional trip to Lowes for topsoil.

Avalanche FTW.

the as tested price of the Ram is $48,965.

You can get an Avalanche LTZ - 1LZ with the 6 liter and basically everything but chrome 20s for that price.

If you're looking for a big, comfortable, mall cruiser that can also handle the boat on weekends and the occasional trip to Lowes for topsoil.

Avalanche FTW.

the as tested price of the Ram is $48,965.

You can get an Avalanche LTZ - 1LZ with the 6 liter and basically everything but chrome 20s for that price.

What's the point of the last part of the statement? The as tested Ram was the top model, I image in came with most everything as well.

I like the Avalanche, particularly the midgate...but the Ram's better ride and more useful Ram Box (VS those little stowage slots in the Avalanche) would probably get my vote. Plus I love the way the new Ram looks inside and out.

Hey C&D, MT, R&T, Automobile, AutoWeek...

(& anyoine else who decided to "evaluate" a pickup)

It's a PICKUP TRUCK!

Key word: PICKUP, with an emphasis on the TRUCK.

It's not an Audi A8 or S8, or a Cadillac DHS, nor is

it trying to be. :rolleyes:

As a sidebar- I have been eyeballing the current stylisitic gen of the Silverado since it debuted, and I still cannot wrap my mind around how Chevy managed to make it look 1-2 feet wider than the Ford & Dodge.

Yeah... I know, huh.

The GMC is the better looking of the tow in GMT-900 skin,

that;s for sure imo, but that being said I'm warming up to

the "Wide-Load" look nose.

Hey C&D, MT, R&T, Automobile, AutoWeek...

(& anyoine else who decided to "evaluate" a pickup)

It's a PICKUP TRUCK!

Key word: PICKUP, with an emphasis on the TRUCK.

It's not an Audi A8 or S8, or a Cadillac DHS, nor is

it trying to be. :rolleyes:

Thing is, these magazines are aimed at the public consumers, not the commercial buyers... people in the burbs that buy loaded crew cab pickups that may go to Home Depot a few times a year want them as car like inside as possible. That's a large percentage of the truck buying market, at least in recent years. So the car mags are aiming their reviews at their demographic (like these 3 loaded trucks, definitely for suburbia instead of a construction site).

I'm sure there are commercial trade mags that test trucks for truckish features.

Edited by moltar

What's the point of the last part of the statement? The as tested Ram was the top model, I image in came with most everything as well.

I like the Avalanche, particularly the midgate...but the Ram's better ride and more useful Ram Box (VS those little stowage slots in the Avalanche) would probably get my vote. Plus I love the way the new Ram looks inside and out.

I like the Ram's looks also, but the point was you can load up an Avalanche more for the same money. Plus with the mid-gate you can get a 8 foot bed when the Ram is limited to 5.7 feet. I haven't tried a new Ram, but the Avalanche was very car like. It's more plush Suburban than HD Silverado.

Now these are MSRPs. I see that Dodge has $7,000 off and I don't know what the Avalanche's rebates are, so all bets on final cost are off.

I agree. Not saying I wouldn't take a 2006-2007 (Classic) SS someday.

Now if it was ranked behind the Tundra which it wouldn't have been, I would have been mad.

>>"The reality, though, for many years, is that most trucks have been bought by normal car buyers to be used as cars... so most people expect car like interiors in trucks "<<

Any documentation for this theory?

Also, a question- if one frequently loads the trunk of their car with cargo, are they using it like a truck ?

I've seen polls that have stated pretty clearly that a large percentage of truck owners use them as trucks, including cargo & towing. Tons of trucks here- vast vast majority used as such, not as 'few times a year trip to HD'.

Sure, there are some show/cruiser trucks, but to assume car buyers buy a truck with no need for a truck and expect it to be like a car is about as far fetched as one can get, IMO.

You should your a Dodge Fan lol.

>>"The reality, though, for many years, is that most trucks have been bought by normal car buyers to be used as cars... so most people expect car like interiors in trucks "<<

Just anecdotal, based on the reality I've seen in suburbia, but also based on what I've read in the magazines. There are hell of a lot of people commuting to work in 'em..

Not talking about people out in the country that have horse trailers, travel trailers, etc to tow.

Of course, your mileage may vary, things may be different in your reality.

Edited by moltar

Anecdotal observations should be noted as such, IMO.

I drive my truck to work everyday, too; is it supposed to only sit in the driveway when I'm not hauling and/or towing ?? If you cannot see lumber, etc sticking out over the tailgate, am I using it like a car ?? Or are your observations based on the building's function you see these in the parking lots of, ie; a pick-up in a software company's lot is "being used like a car" ?

A truck is functionally no different than a car- except it has no trunklid. No reason in the world that whomever wants to commute in a truck should not do so.... what; because it can do more than a car it cannot also do what a car does?

There certainly are a fascinating bunch of interesting associations & assumptions WRT 'proper' useage of different vehicles...

Anecdotal observations should be noted as such, IMO.

I drive my truck to work everyday, too; is it supposed to only sit in the driveway when I'm not hauling and/or towing ?? If you cannot see lumber, etc sticking out over the tailgate, am I using it like a car ?? Or are your observations based on the building's function you see these in the parking lots of, ie; a pick-up in a software company's lot is "being used like a car" ?

A truck is functionally no different than a car- except it has no trunklid. No reason in the world that whomever wants to commute in a truck should not do so.... what; because it can do more than a car it cannot also do what a car does?

There certainly are a fascinating bunch of interesting associations & assumptions WRT 'proper' useage of different vehicles...

I call BS...now you are contradicting yourself...you said previously the same standards that apply to cars shouldn't apply to trucks.

Trucks should not be judged by the same criteria as cars, period.

If I bought a truck to commute in, I'd want it to be as nice inside as a car of the same price range, as most buyers would, I suspect, if they use them the same way. Therefore, the same standard applies. A $40k truck should be as nice inside as a $40k car.

Edited by moltar

>>"now you are contradicting yourself"<<

Not at all. I said a car & a truck aren't functionally different, ie; they both drive, carry stuff & people and go the same places (lets stay on pavement here).

But to look for the same degree of padding this & soft-touch that in a truck, a usually much bigger truck, means that all the money spent there comes OUT of the rest of the vehicle, giving you the same degree of chinzy tinfoil sheetmetal and barely-engineered mechanicals cars are built with - not good when a truck is often stressed well beyond manufacturer's recommendations.

That's the physicality of a truck vs. a car... the other thing I was addressing is the idea that a truck should only be used like a truck, as opposed to a car. I don't get that: trucks can do both (be used as a car or a truck), a car only one.

Truck wins.

Also, a question- if one frequently loads the trunk of their car with cargo, are they using it like a truck ?

I've seen polls that have stated pretty clearly that a large percentage of truck owners use them as trucks, including cargo & towing. Tons of trucks here- vast vast majority used as such, not as 'few times a year trip to HD'.

Sure, there are some show/cruiser trucks, but to assume car buyers buy a truck with no need for a truck and expect it to be like a car is about as far fetched as one can get, IMO.

the idea moltar should have submitted is that people have moved from other vehicles to pickups thanks to thier usefulness, and with the advent of crew cabs and extended cabs, more passenger-friendly attributes. oh and a big duh! to you that the advent of crew cabs and extended cabs has shown people use pickups as ______Wait for it_______passenger-carrying vehicles, otherwise known as cars, and not work trucks. this means expectations have changed, and the interior is a huge part of the consideration of buyers. witness the original titan being released only in crew and extended cab for one year when it was on the market. i don't even know that the non-crew cab version even exists anymore.

Edited by turbo200

The " '05 bar" is NOT what I would call "damn low" at all. Trucks should not be judged by the same criteria as cars, period. Soft-touch & padded vinyls DO NOT LAST in the environmental useage of a truck. '05-generation has excellent functionality, practicality & ergonomics- primary criteria for buying a truck in the first place.

Sorry, but most of the reviews of car rags in general ring this true: new wins over old. Keep in mind: the entire publishing industry revolves around pushing this, or the next issue isn't nearly as 'exciting'.

this would be why the 3-series and accord consistently place at the top or near the top of the comparison tests, more often than not at the top of the pinaccle, even years into thier design cycles. must be the publishing world trying to keep everyone on the cusp of the new and exciting world of ideas.