1984 Promo pics

Olds Guy

Didn't want to throw this into the GM Merchandise forum, since these arent readily available. But, since I was cleaning up around here and found these I thought I'd snap a couple pics and throw 'em up. I mentioned these to Cort last week.

Got these in fall of '84 when the '85s came out. These were the ones on the wall at the Chevy dealer. They are fairly thick cardboard. Wanted the Vette and Camaro ones, but a salesman snagged them. So I ended up with a bunch, but these are the only two I have left. I had Chevette, Citation X-11, Astro, and Silverado ones (those that I can remember anyway).

Funny part was that in '89, I bought an '85 Eurosport like this one except all black.

Posted Image
Posted Image

*gazes at MC board pic*

Ahhhh....now, THOSE are Monte Carlos ... he he he.

And, you're right, OldsGuy, that is about the same color as my '87, though not quite. That has the "boxy" front end ... which is the Sport Coupe model ... and I see it has the Landau top, too.

And that SS....wowsers.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"I wonder if it's too late" ... Nickelback ... 'Photograph'

That MC SS looks WORLDS better than the base model. Like 10 years newer.

[post="41297"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's the beauty of giving people choice:

2 RWD coupes that look completely different and have a differnt visual feel and yet share 90% of their comopnents:

-72 year old Mr. Geezer down the street is happy wiht his traditional looking LS w/ the Landau Roof...

-19 year old Billy Leadfoot is happy wiht his "sleek" SS, trick wheels and flashy graphics.

Today GM says "Screw choice, let's just shove a bunch of FWD cars down peoples throats... unless they have enough money to afford a GTO, CTS or Vette...."

The 80s were not perfect and technology was creeping along slowly in terms of performance but damn for the poor enthusiast it was still better than today's GM. <_<

Guest YellowJacket894
Yikes. I needed a picture like that to remind how much a Celebrity looked like a bloated Cavalier at the time. And to think people complain about the GTO looking like such today, they should hang a poster like that to remind them that they may not be totally correct. Know what would be cool: a photo of a Cavalier hatchback or, yes, the old '80s Camaro. Hmmm... I think I may go on a Google photo hunt.

Guest YellowJacket894
:lol: Now all the Celebrity needs are some huge joke glasses and bullet holes for acne and, bam!, you have the 2000 Chevy Impala's middle school photo.

-72 year old Mr. Geezer down the street is happy wiht his traditional looking LS w/ the Landau Roof...

...He's happy with his LS only if he is buying a 1986, 1987 or 1988 Monte Carlo.

*grins devilishly*

The LSs weren't available until 1986, with the Sport Coupes (SCs) being the base models 1981-1986 ;).

Now all the Celebrity needs are some huge joke glasses and bullet holes for acne and, bam!, you have the 2000 Chevy Impala's middle school photo.

Now do ya'll see why I'm unhappy with what Chevrolet claims to be the monte carlo these days?

That sounds funny'n'all, anor, but in reality, your observation is ssssoooo very very true.

The Lumina replaced the Celebrity in 1990. In 1995, Chevrolet dubbed the coupe version "monte carlo" ... it was in 2000, with the 2nd re-design, of the Lumina body that they dropped Lumina and dubbed the sedan "impala".

*shakes head*