• Growing to match Nissan in large markets

Cadillac:

- Brand Positioning:

• Performance Luxury with Aspirational Appeal

• Global Luxury Brand

- Dealer Throughput:

• Growing to match Mercedes in large markets

Edited by wildcat

Pontiac has the Solstace and G8 at least. But they were not getting the crowds at the Chicago Auto Show as much as the Camaro and Transformer cars at Chevy. Also, Caddy has 'street dred' with yong adults, too.

Rename the G8 as Grand Prix, since Lutz is retiring. The 'American BMW' didnt work, just be Pontiac.

I like this plan. Let's hope GM is able to follow though with it.

With Saturn and Saab gone, I'm still curious what will be done with Pontiac. Youthful & sporty is fine as long as we aren't getting more Chevy rebadges.

Until the next gen Opel products are ready for North America (starting with the current Insignia), I would say the G3 (it's on the roster for a Spring 2009 launch according to the website), Vibe, Solstice, G6, and G8 will define "youthful and sporty". The Solstice and G8 will be the last RWD products Pontiac will carry. After the next gen Opels arrive, the G3, Vibe, Solstice, G6, and G8 will exit and Pontiac's "youthful and sporty" lineup will consist of the Corsa 3-door/5-door and the Astra 3-door/5-door. If GM is really pushing it, they just might throw the next gen Tigra TwinTop and Astra TwinTop in for good measure (if GM even bothers developing any next gen TwinTops). That will probably be the extent of it. Buick, being the "core" premium brand, would get the sedans, wagons, and MPVs. Any CUVs would go to GMC.

OR

This is just a smokescreen until GM can get all the B-P-G dealerships consolidated and GM can start pumping most of the next gen Opel products into Buick's lineup. The Insignia will knock off the G6, the next gen Astra will knock off the Vibe, the next gen Corsa will knock off the G3, and then Pontiac might limp along until the Solstice and G8 are discontinued. After that, it's lights out Pontiac.

These are just predictions based on GM's fear and abandonment of most of their future RWD projects.

Edited by cire

Chevrolet:

- Brand Positioning:

• Expressive Value

• High Value Appeal with High Retail Volume

- Dealer Throughput:

• Growing to match Toyota in large markets

Buick-Pontiac-GMC:

- Brand Positioning

• Buick: Sophisticated Quality, Luxury and Craftsmanship

• Pontiac: Youthful & Sporty – with niche focus

• GMC: Engineering Excellence with Capability and Functionally

- Dealer Throughput:

Cadillac:

- Brand Positioning:

• Global Luxury Brand

- Dealer Throughput:

I don't get the "Dealer Throughput" goal for B-P-G. Nissan? Nissan is a mainstream Asian brand (although it has a sportier image than Toyota or Honda). B-P-G should be aiming for premium brands such as Acura and Lincoln-Mercury as well as Volvo and Audi (to a lesser degree maybe). Maybe I'm not understanding what the phrase "Dealer Throughput" means. I'm assuming it's sort of a target brand that the corporation wants to pursue with their brand. If it means something different, then can someone please submit an explanation please?

B-P-G = Nissan? :confused0071:

Edited by cire

I think we will find Pontiac will not be a rebadged Chevy but the few models will be based on a Holden or Opel. what ever models they use it will be something offered overseas anf not duplicated here.

I think GM is only keeping the name alive to prevent buy outs among the many Pontiac dealers. In other words cheaper to keep them with only a couple cars.

As for Saturn there are fewer dealers to buy out and it makes it more cost effective.

As for naming the present cars old names get over it. The average buyer does not care. They just want cars better than the G5 or G6. The bottom line is when you have good product it should not matter what you call it. The Asians have proven that with some of their wacked names.

Give the public more credit as they buy cars based on value, performance, styling and quality. Few care if it is a old name.

I think we will find Pontiac will not be a rebadged Chevy but the few models will be based on a Holden or Opel. what ever models they use it will be something offered overseas anf not duplicated here.

I think GM is only keeping the name alive to prevent buy outs among the many Pontiac dealers. In other words cheaper to keep them with only a couple cars.

As for Saturn there are fewer dealers to buy out and it makes it more cost effective.

As for naming the present cars old names get over it. The average buyer does not care. They just want cars better than the G5 or G6. The bottom line is when you have good product it should not matter what you call it. The Asians have proven that with some of their wacked names.

Give the public more credit as they buy cars based on value, performance, styling and quality. Few care if it is a old name.

I hope your right and with no Saturn I see that happening.

Chevrolet:

- Brand Positioning:

• Expressive Value

• High Value Appeal with High Retail Volume

- Dealer Throughput:

• Growing to match Toyota in large markets

Buick-Pontiac-GMC:

- Brand Positioning

• Buick: Sophisticated Quality, Luxury and Craftsmanship

• Pontiac: Youthful & Sporty – with niche focus

• GMC: Engineering Excellence with Capability and Functionally

- Dealer Throughput:

Cadillac:

- Brand Positioning:

• Global Luxury Brand

- Dealer Throughput:

Buick-Pontiac-GMC can be rebadges of other brands, with a few original models thrown in.

Buick = Opel

Pontiac = Holden

GMC = Chevy trucks

I suppose Pontiac can also sell smaller Opels.

Edited by empowah

I don't quite understand all the posts about aligning Pontiac with Holden. From what I can tell on Holden's website, the only products that are 100% Holden are the Zeta based products. With GM abandoning future RWD projects at an extremely rapid pace, Zeta''s future seems to be quite uncertain at this point. The rest of Holden's lineup is made up of GMDAT products (which will more than likely be aligned with Chevrolet in North America) and one Opel product (the Astra). Even the sketch of the upcoming new Holden small car looked like a Cruze/Lacetti Premiere with a Holden-esque front end treatment. I think Holden will eventually become Australia's outlet for GMDAT/Chevrolet products, which will eliminate any possibility of aligning the Australian brand with Pontiac.

P.S. Holden also offers a "Colorado" pickup (I am not sure how much it is related to the NA Colorado/Canyon) and what appears to be a "Combo" commercial vehicle, but these are not products that belong in Pontiac's lineup either.

GM is abandoning most of its RWD projects in addition to its perfomance divisions. I am having a hard time imagining where GM is going to get any youthful and sporty products to place in Pontiac's lineup unless GM gives it a couple of Opel products that it couldn't stuff in Buick's lineup.

I don't quite understand all the posts about aligning Pontiac with Holden. From what I can tell on Holden's website, the only products that are 100% Holden are the Zeta based products. With GM abandoning future RWD projects at an extremely rapid pace, Zeta''s future seems to be quite uncertain at this point. The rest of Holden's lineup is made up of GMDAT products (which will more than likely be aligned with Chevrolet in North America) and one Opel product (the Astra). Even the sketch of the upcoming new Holden small car looked like a Cruze/Lacetti Premiere with a Holden-esque front end treatment. I think Holden will eventually become Australia's outlet for GMDAT/Chevrolet products, which will eliminate any possibility of aligning the Australian brand with Pontiac.

P.S. Holden also offers a "Colorado" pickup (I am not sure how much it is related to the NA Colorado/Canyon) and what appears to be a "Combo" commercial vehicle, but these are not products that belong in Pontiac's lineup either.

GM is abandoning most of its RWD projects in addition to its perfomance divisions. I am having a hard time imagining where GM is going to get any youthful and sporty products to place in Pontiac's lineup unless GM gives it a couple of Opel products that it couldn't stuff in Buick's lineup.

In that case...

Buick = large Opels

Pontiac = small Opels

Chevrolet cars = GMDAT

In that case...

Buick = large Opels

Pontiac = small Opels

Chevrolet cars = GMDAT

I hope my post didn't come across as sarcastic, because I really didn't mean for it to sound that way. I just simply wanted people to realize that they probably don't want Pontiac completely aligned with Holden (which would place GMDAT vehicles in Pontiac's lineup). I think they really want Pontiac aligned with Holden's Zeta based products (which are the only "real Holden" products left in the brand's lineup as far as I'm concerned). If GM and Holden decide to abandon plans for next gen Zeta based products, then there really isn't anything "Holden" to align with Pontiac. Holden is only cool because of their Zeta products. The brand is just another GMDAT/foreign market Chevy (with the exception of the Astra) without the Zeta products.

If Pontiac is supposed to be a sporty and youthful "niche" brand, then I would give them the next gen Tigra/Astra "TwinTops" (if GM and Opel develop next gen versions). "TwinTops" would define "youthful and sporty" much more than some of the brands current offerings (Aveo based G3, Cobalt based G5, the Vibe, and the Torrent). If the G6 hardtop convertible could be moved to Eps II with a more refined Opel-esque front/rear treatment and interior, it could serve as the brand's range topper (assuming that there won't be a next gen Zeta based G8).

The brand's future lineup could be:

* Fiero: Next gen Tigra "TwinTop"

* LeMans: Next gen Astra "TwinTop"

* Grand Prix: Updated G6 Convertible on LWB Eps II

If GM and Opel don't develop next gen "TwinTops" or even coupes (fixed roof Tigra/Astra coupes would also make nice Pontiac products along with an Opel-ized G6 coupe), then I can see GM giving Pontiac the next gen Corsa/Astra 3-door/5-door and positioning the brand as an entry premium sub-brand.

In this case, Pontiac's lineup would be:

* LeMans: Next gen Corsa 3-door/5-door

* Phoenix (or Tempest): Next gen Astra 3-door/5-door

Either of the options listed above would effectively position Pontiac as a more youthful complimentary sub-brand to Buick. I would love to see GM give the brand the RWD affordable performance lineup that they have hinted at in the past, but I don't think it will happen at this point. I still have concerns that GM is only keeping the brand going at this point because it has products in segments that are vital to B-P-G (Vibe and G6 sedan). Once the current Insignia and next gen Astra sedan (and possibly hatchbacks) are inserted into Buick's lineup, GM might simply shut Pontiac down. I sincerely hope this is not the underlying plan, but I wouldn't be surprised if things unfold in this manner.

I do see a lot of potential in expanding Buick's role as the high profile premium brand in B-P-G, but Pontiac could play a strong supporting role if the brand is given the proper Opel products.

Edited by cire