The Oldsmobiles that mattered

The Eighty Eight. You don't get much more ubiquitous than a B-body or H-body from GM.

But in reality, it's a shorter list of which Oldsmobiles were unimportant. With the exception of it's final years, Olds regularly dominated the sales charts. Sure they sold a ton of A-body Cutlass Cierras..... but that just mean it was important that they get done right.

Important to Olds does NOT mean some rare Hurst 442 Cutlass Calias FE3 Broughm Holiday Coupe' Pace Car convertible driven by William Shatner or something. Important to Olds was the meat and potatoes of the division.

The Eighty Eight. You don't get much more ubiquitous than a B-body or H-body from GM.

But in reality, it's a shorter list of which Oldsmobiles were unimportant. With the exception of it's final years, Olds regularly dominated the sales charts. Sure they sold a ton of A-body Cutlass Cierras..... but that just mean it was important that they get done right.

Important to Olds does NOT mean some rare Hurst 442 Cutlass Calias FE3 Broughm Holiday Coupe' Pace Car convertible driven by William Shatner or something. Important to Olds was the meat and potatoes of the division.

Cutlass and it's sub models were the biggest meat and potatoes product Olds ever had. That includes the "hero models" like the 442 and H/O. It was a recipe that worked exceptionally well, and one that GM would do well to remember.

I agree with you on the Cutlass. I picked the Eighty Eight because it was around longer. Much. ......and was practically synonymous with Rocket 8.

I'm mostly responding to the picks of the H/O and 442s as "most important". Great halo cars, but not "most important"

• 1 month later...

I would concur with the Cutlass, having owned two.

Give me a 70-72 Ragtop Cutty...preferably with an open road, a sunny day, and no where in particular to go.

Chris

The Cutlass Supreme is my all time favorite car 60's - 80's. Many times during that run it was THE best selling car in America and you couldn't go around a block without seeing one. I have owned no less than 8 supremes and they were all amazing cars and bring back so many happy memories of simpler and better times. This is the only car line that never bored me or dissapointed me and there was always a surprise waiting with each model year unveiling. I'll never forget growing up and seeing the 75 Hurst, 79 Hurst, 83 Hurst and 85 442. I'll never forget seeing the restyled 81 on TV and pleading with dad to go down to the Olds dealer to check one out. It was a stunning burgandy Calais with matching interior, olds stock wheels and T-tops right on the showroom floor. Dad soon after bought an 82 coupe with the Buick 3.8 liter V6, full power, limited slip 3.08 rear end gears and a neat light green exterior and matching interior. That car was a big upgrade from his 79 Fairmont with it's wheezy 200 straight 6, lack of A/C and flat as a pancake bench seat. He kept that car longer than any other and it was utterly reliable. I can vividly remember on a dreary day in 1987 when it was announced that the rear drive Cutlass was no more and that it's replacement was the rounded front drive Supreme coupe. I was young at the time and so upset that I skipped school and went to the local Olds dealer and spent some quality time with every car on the lot. The salemen never bothered me because they knew I was too young to buy one and I sure did get a few odd looks. Of course I loved all the other Olds models at the time too but the Cutlass was the car that I judged all others by at the time and my pick as model that most mattered at the time.