The Next Generation Impala Rumor Wagon Rides Again!

cire

As promised over the weekend, GMInsidenews is launching news of new developments around the future of the Chevrolet Impala. The Impala has been the source of much confusion with the public and GM internally. Several different avenues have been suggested for the future of the car, but nothing has yet been set in stone. The only constant that we have been hearing regarding the car is that the current W-Body Impala will stay in production through 2013; making it a staggering seven year life cycle. Now to the new stuff.

Last week GMI sources tipped us off of news that the future of the Impala was yet again being discussed internally within the GM ranks. The most recent news to that point was that the car would likely migrate to a long-wheel base Epsilon II platform; which is front-wheel drive and the eventual underpinnings of the next-generation Chevrolet Malibu. Our sources, however, had much more encouraging news for us regarding the Impala this time. Apparently there is still a chance we’re going to get our rear-wheel drive Impala yet!

According to our sources, GM’s product board is currently looking into merging the Holden Commodore and the next-generation Impala as one car that would be sold globally. Initially the Impala was going to be built upon the Zeta rear-wheel drive platform, which currently holds up the Holden Commodore. Zeta, sadly, has been killed almost entirely, so said plans for the Impala were axed. In 2011 Holden is going to get a new Commodore based on the Camaro’s variant of the Zeta architecture, this is dubbed the “VF” Commodore. All the while, those of us in North America will continue to be stuck with current Impala.

After the VF Commodore lives its life cycle, the replacement that is currently on the consideration list is a long-wheel base version of the upcoming Alpha rear-wheel drive platform. This is where the Impala comes in. If the plan is approved, the VG Commodore would spawn a new Impala for North America. Think of the relationship as similar to what we have with the Pontiac G8 and Holden Commodore today; they would mostly be the same car. We’re told GM’s plans include building the Impala in North America and selling it in several of the global markets that Chevrolet is now sold in.

The downside to this plan: it would cause a 2-3 year hiatus for the Impala after the current model’s product run is finished. That would mean a new Impala would not come out until 2015 or so, which would be the Commodore-based one. We’re told this plan has not been given the green-light, but is under a serious consideration by the ranks within GM. Stay tuned, we’ll keep you posted on the Impala’s future.

I copied and pasted the info so that no one has to bother waiting on the link.

Source: GMInsideNews

I don't understand why GM couldn't follow the plan below:

* Caprice: Develop a large FWD sedan replacement for the current FWD W-body Impala on the LWB version of Eps II. This car would be about the same size as the 2010 Buick LaCrosse and would also mirror that car's engine offerings (3.0 DI V6 as the base engine and 3.6 DI V6 as the optional engine). This car would serve as GM's Taurus/Avalon/Azera/Maxima competitor.

* Next gen Impala: GM should make plans to build the next gen Zeta based VF Commodore at the Oshawa plant and sell it here as the next gen Chevrolet Impala. This car would be the brand's flagship car. The 3.6 DI V6 would serve as the base engine. An SS trim level could offer a turbocharged version of the 3.0 DI V6 or a small block V8. This car would serve as GM's Charger competitor. It would also prevent any unnecessary model year gaps in the Impala's future.

* Next gen Malibu: The next gen Malibu would move to the SWB version of Eps II and be aligned with the global Epica/Tosca sedan. GMNA would take the design lead on this product to ensure that it is a proper followup design-wise to the current Malibu. I wouldn't want the next gen Malibu to look like a design followup to the current Epica/Tosca.

* G8: The only unfortunate casualty of this plan would be the G8. Once the current Commodore ends its model cycle, the G8 would disappear. I think Pontiac should follow Buick into aligning itself with Opel. Buick would carry rebadged Opel sedans, 5-doors, and MPVs to complete its lineup while Pontiac would carry rebadged versions of the Euro brand's sportier coupes and 3-doors to form its "niche" lineup. Of course, all rebadged Opel products that Buick and Pontiac would carry should be built in North America.

Essentially, there is absolutely no need for the current W-body Impala to stick around for 7 model years nor is there any reason to have gaps between its model cycles.

I'm not going to get too excited about a 2014MY vehicles that might become a reality from an automaker that might not ever produce 2011MY vehicles.

Agreed. I still have a hard time believing that GM will actually follow through with the Alpha platform also (if they even survive, like you said).

I copied and pasted the info so that no one has to bother waiting on the link.

Source: GMInsideNews

7 year cycle? More like 16 year cycle... in 2013 the basic W-body design is going to be about 25 years old.

As with others, I'll believe this when I see it. However, the thing I don't like is the idea that the G8 has to die. IMHO, the only way GM can even attempt to compete with BMW and Audi is to have the G8 as a flagship for Pontiac. The only Opels Pontiac needs are for models named Gn, where n is less than 6.

GM has to survive and stand on its own before any 'dream machines' are produced. I dont believe that there are any plans for beyond 2013 until the company is solvant. So much has been cancelled, already!

The new GM management should just kill off the W body period, and have the Malibu be top car, until a good flag ship car can be brought out.

GM has to survive and stand on its own before any 'dream machines' are produced. I dont believe that there are any plans for beyond 2013 until the company is solvant. So much has been cancelled, already!

The new GM management should just kill off the W body period, and have the Malibu be top car, until a good flag ship car can be brought out.

Then you'll be happy to know that they Impy IS being killed....soon...

Maybe they can do a new RWD Impala on the cheap by slapping a 4dr sedan body on the Tahoe platform (replace the rear cargo area with a trunk)..would make the BOF fans and police departments happy. :)

Speaking of Tahoes, I've been seeing a lot of them lately used as police cars here in Phoenix..