REPORT: Cadillac pinning its hopes on 'sub-CTS' model and new flagship sedan

cadillacconverjdd_09_opt.jpg

Cadillac has a legitimate contender on its hands with the CTS. The luxury sedan is selling pretty well considering the down market, and it will soon be joined by wagon and coupe variants in the not too distant future. Beyond the CTS, though, Cadillac's car offerings have been less successful.

According to The Detroit Bureau, Cadillac is hoping to improve its standing by bookending the CTS with a smaller BMW 3-Series fighter and an all-new flagship. The website quotes Cadillac Marketing Chief Steve Shannon as saying that a sub-CTS is 24-30 months away. Cadillac designers are evidently working on sedan, hatchback, wagon, and convertible variants, although it is unclear what markets would receive what variants. Shannon believes the small Caddy could be the global sales leader for Cadillac, and diesel powerplants may be available at home and abroad. The question remains whether the sub-CTS would come in the form of the RWD Alpha platform GM is rumored to be working on, or a FWD platform in the mold of the Converj concept from the 2009 Detroit Auto Show.

For a while now, rumors have swirled that Cadillac would fold its slow-selling STS and long-serving DTS models into one new successor. The top-line Cadillac has always been too close in size to the CTS (which is itself larger than most of its cross-shops), and sales never really took off for either – at least outside of the livery market. GM is reportedly looking to change that with a new model that will better differentiate itself from the CTS in terms of size, price, amenities, and style. We've been hearing about a new replacement for some time, with most talk surrounding whether or not the project is on hold. Though the replacement sedan would be larger than the STS, Shannon insists that fuel economy would be a top priority considering the ever-tightening standards worldwide.

The real question for Cadillac is whether or not GM will be able to afford the new models. If the General goes into bankruptcy, nobody really knows what stands to get cut. Shannon optimistically says that GM's brand bloodletting could work in Cadillac's favor, though. With fewer brands to feed, GM's luxury division could finally get the attention it so richly deserves.

Autoblog

There is no reason why they shouldnt have the Converj NOW or a new flagship. Quit dragging your feet. We do NOT need another Escalade, truck or other nonesense. Start refreshing the car lineup. Cadillac needs to get back to its roots as a high performance luxury CAR company.

oh and on the Converj, drop the voltec BS and throw in the XLR engine.

I would be interested in the full size luxury sedan as the CTS is fine for the wife and I if we are not taking anyone else, but otherwise it is too small for me.

I would be interested in the full size luxury sedan as the CTS is fine for the wife and I if we are not taking anyone else, but otherwise it is too small for me.

I'm with you too, I adore the CTS but it's too small a car for me.

I'm with you too, I adore the CTS but it's too small a car for me.

I really must be odd. I think the CTS is alsmost too big for me!

I really must be odd. I think the CTS is alsmost too big for me!

I agree with you... the CTS is as big of a car as I would want to drive. Unless you have kids and/or need a big back seat for business reasons, I don't see why anyone needs a bigger-than-CTS car for themselves.

I agree with you... the CTS is as big of a car as I would want to drive. Unless you have kids and/or need a big back seat for business reasons, I don't see why anyone needs a bigger-than-CTS car for themselves.

Right here with you for the most part. My 2001 Aurora is the perfect size for me--no compromises on passenger room or trunk volume. The CTS would be my first choice for a replacement. I don't want anything too terribly long.

It's all about the trunk with me, it's probably the most prominent dealbreaker. If I get back to the trunk and it's not quite right odds are I won't buy the car. I like the Impala because it has a nice big trunk that's wide, deep and tall, ditto with the DTS, LaCrosse, G8, and Lucerne. When the G6 first came out and I was checking it out, I was really liking it until I saw that tiny-ass trunk (13 Cubic Feet WTF?). The same goes for the new Malibu- the height of the load area is way lacking and it seems narrow, almost like a dark hallway.

Reading that I too wonder if that sub-CTS car will be on Alpha, Epsilon2, or Delta2 (w/ or w/o Voltec)...

It absolutely needs to be on Alpha to be worthwhile, but all the indications I've seen on the web seem to point towards it.

Trunk space isn't even something I consider when looking at a car. I didn't even open the trunk of the IS before I drove one off the lot.

That said, the CTS is too big for me. I'd be more interested in a smaller-than-CTS model.

It absolutely needs to be on Alpha to be worthwhile, but all the indications I've seen on the web seem to point towards it.

Hopefully, because if GM wants Cadillac to become some kind of 'Art&Science-Saab' they will fail. Miserably.