REPORT: North American International Auto Show likely to move out of Detroit, see other people

cobo_580.jpg

In car-related news that will further disappoint an already reeling city, the chairman of Detroit's North American International Auto Show has gone on record that he is exploring ways to move the event out of the city.

The very public battle to expand the show's home, Motown's Cobo Center appears to have failed for good, after the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled in favor of the Detroit City Council, in effect killing plans for a $288 million expansion, a plan voted down by council members in February. For his part, city mayor Ken Cockrel Jr. is evidently declining to go to the state Supreme Court to force the issue.

So now, the search is on to take the show to a new venue, likely beyond Detroit's city limits, and potentially beyond the bounds of Southeast Michigan, as well. Automotive News quotes auto show co-chair Douglass Fox as saying:

At this point we need to consider any viable option that might be out there for us... There have been leaders -- (Oakland County Executive) L. Brooks Patterson comes to mind – who have made those overtures. We need to explore those options.

Fox and his team are expected to move quickly, but given the scope of the planning required for a major international auto show, it is perhaps likely that the NAIAS will still be hosted by Cobo next January. Beyond that, though, the city of Detroit looks set to witness yet another auto-related casualty.

Autoblog

Yeah, there isn't a less appealing American destination in January than Detroit.

I know..I lived in the area 3 years in the '90s, went to the NAIAS every year...COBO isn't the greatest venue either.

Maybe Las Vegas could be a viable site also, they hold big shows there every year like the SEMA show, CES, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
They should make the LA show the NAIAS.

No. Absolutly not.

Move it in the Detroit area but out of downtown would be fine. If the weather's an issue, have it in Sept. or early Oct. The next years models are out by then anyway.

Moving it out of Detroit to LA would be like having a Napa Valley wine tasting event in France.

We go there every year, didn't make the last one because I tweeked my ankle pretty hard the day before and couldn't really walk.

Edited by BuddyP

if people bought ford gm and chrysler products then the case could made use stimulus funds to tear down battered plants etc. recycle the materials so the greenies will shut up, and then build a new long lasting arena on the old salvaged grounds if they are location friendly. then, you'd have real long term investment and it would cement the place going forward as a showcase of the auto industry in america.

whoring the show out to LA or vegas, you might as well just say f-k the auto show and go see wayne newton or celine dion because thats about as much meaning as it would have out there in terms of significance to the nation. the show would lost any significance, and becomes a joke of itself.

better yet just outsource the NAIAS to India or Korean or CHina or Japan. thats where everyone wants to get their cars from seemingly anyways.

hopefully someday we can outsource wall street, banking, finance, advertising, sales and marketing to those countries just to be fair.

Edited by regfootball

LA would be the most convenient for me, but my pick is Vegas. Nowhere does shows as well as they do them in Vegas. Plus the immediate entertainment and nightlife opportunities are endless...

So be it, I won't be there. Not going to pay $800 on 2 round trip tickets plus hotel, food and time off work just to see some cars that I can see on the dealers lots within a month or two of the show.

LA would be the most convenient for me, but my pick is Vegas. Nowhere does shows as well as they do them in Vegas. Plus the immediate entertainment and nightlife opportunities are endless...

That would be cool...both LA and LV are short, cheap flights from me.