For all the haters!

I don't mind Comic Sans simply because it's refreshing to utilize something for general notations or memos that doesn't appear as though I have a stick up my ass. All my staff meetings were printed in Comic Sans so that everyone felt more comfortable and at ease with the material. Using Times New Roman for my agendas sometimes appeared as though all points were 'set in stone' and would not be subject to discussion. Even if I indicated, "Subject to discussion"... it still appeared too rigid.

Of course, department reports and employee appraisals deserve more appropriate typeface, so a small-font Arial or Times New Roman were the norm. I don't think I could feel comfortable typing these more important documents with a kiddie-font design.

It would take a designer mentality to come up with the overly dramatic hate-on for a friggin' font.

Designing a museum gallery guide for a children's hands-on artifact exhibit, Ms. Sliger says she was horrified when her bosses told her to use Comic Sans.

OMG! The humanity! Kids all around the world will be dropping dead on the spot at the sight of Comic Sans!!!

This is what struck me as odd:

Mr. Connare ... studying for his master's degree in type design at the University of Reading in Berkshire, England.

They offer degrees in type design... MASTER'S degrees no less? Wow... the world would be so devastated without the importance of type design.

I never really understood the hate for Comic Sans, but then again I think it's one of those field-specific peeves that only certain groups get really worked up over (kind of like how lots of architects hate AutoCAD 2008, yet the general public would never know or care why).

The only time I really ever pay attention to fonts is when I am putting together a presentation board or doing some graphic design thing...otherwise, they're just kind of there and I don't really think about it.

I never really understood the hate for Comic Sans, but then again I think it's one of those field-specific peeves that only certain groups get really worked up over (kind of like how lots of architects hate AutoCAD 2008, yet the general public would never know or care why).

Exactly. It's like a home owner with no clue that the contractor had an argument over which type of drywall tape to use. One wants the ease of fabric while the other wants pre-mudded paper and everyone else in the world goes, "..."

I have always disliked comic sans and yes, it is used everywhere. I am partial to calibri, bazooka, trebuchet and majandra. Students are not allowed to type in bradley hand when writing papers for my class.

I only use cursive fonts for a title or digital signature. Otherwise I prefer sans serif fonts usually.

Right now one of my favorite fonts is Mekanik LET

For body text I like:

• Helvetica
  • Verdena (12 pts or smaller)
  • Calibri
  • Eurostile

For titles and signatures I like (depending on the subject matter):

• 1942 report
  • Agency FB
  • Aston-F1
  • Bonk
  • Bonzai