Monte Carlo SS Tested by The Car Connection

A decent review and quite a respectable 0-60 time and a top speed of 145 MPH. I don't see how anyone can bitch about this car being FWD. It will blow the doors off of any RWD Monte,Camaro etc that me and my buddies used to drive back in the good old days.Check it out Here Edited by I hope GMRULES again

That's a very good review. I like the new Monte Carlo. After reading this, maybe it'll really be livable with FWD, as I was concerned about torque steer. Another plus: this is the quickest and fastest Chevrolet Monte Carlo ever built. I just hope this isn't another "get it right and kill it" story from GM... that would be a shame.

Hmmm.... I've seen 2 reviews this week ... 1 for the '06 impala and this one for the '06 monte carlo ... and both reviewers seem to take pleasure in making jabs at the older Impalas and Monte Carlos ... not exactly a way to win over readers, imho. And the '06 mc reviewer ... is an equal-opportunity jabber, taking shots at both the older RWD Monte Carlos ... and even the recent FWD SS monte carlos:

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
The throaty roar of the V-8 returns — but is it enough?
by Eric Peters (2005-11-18)

For the ideological purist, it's tough to get cozy with the idea of a serious performance car that isn't rear-wheel drive, like the Reagan-era '83-'88 Monte Carlo SS was. But take a turn behind the wheel; give it a chance.
Streetbound Monte Carlos have long emulated the stock-car look. This one delivers the stock-car experience.
Thanks to displacement-on-demand technology, which allows the engine to operate in four-cylinder mode under light throttle/cruise-type conditions, highway fuel economy is an impressive 28 mpg. The old SS couldn't touch that rolling down a steep hill in neutral.
The infusion of V-8 power means that Monte Carlo SS owners are no longer condemned to motor toothlessly around the parking lot at Talladega or Martinsville looking silly in their V-6 pretend stockers - all decal, no cattle.

Hmph.

Are the journalists starting to give GM a break now ... or? I mean...this makes 2 good review in a row this week ... first the '06 impala and now the '06 monte carlo.

At any rate, this is definitely a good review ... no question. But, I'm still waiting for the return of the Monte Carlo (RWD, that is).

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
What's it like to buy your favorite car brand new? Wish I knew...
"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

Cant deny though that even with it being FWD it still is a better performer than any of the old ones. Gm seems to have put a lot of time and work to make the V8 so it would perform well in this FWD setup. I wouldnt mind taking one for a spin now just to see how it is in real life.

Guest carpetbagger

No... Just read the "GM Corporate" section.

In there you'll learn "Just how non-vital GM is to our economy" and "Every reason why to hate GM"

[post="47589"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

seriously your starting to sound like an emo kid

they did the monte carlo right and it gets its deserving reviews; thinking of getting a test drive if i find the time Edited by carpetbagger

Guest YellowJacket894
^ Ooh! He toasted you FOG, man! He toasted you! :lol: Anyhow, for a simple nose, engine, and ass job, the "new" Monte isn't bad. It actually wasn't that bad to start with in 2000, either. The '00 Impala was the ass end of the deal, honestly.

I've done the research, and I'm pretty sure that the 2006 Monte Carlo is the only car you can buy with two doors, a V-8 AND five seat belts. Truly in a class of its own. And the press bashes GM for offering nothing unique. Hmph.

It will blow the doors off of any RWD Monte,Camaro etc that me and my buddies used to drive back in the good old days.

[post="45090"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

A lot of cars out there today will. Those Muscle Cars had huge engines and could spin the tires like no tomorrow.. but they didn't put enough power to the ground.

Sh*t, my 6 cylinder Camaro is quicker than the 8s (save the IROC) that came out 10 years before it. Edited by NOS2006

A lot of cars out there today will. Those Muscle Cars had huge engines and could spin the tires like no tomorrow.. but they didn't put enough power to the ground.

Sh*t, my 6 cylinder Camaro is quicker than the 8s (save the IROC) that came out 10 years before it.

[post="47892"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know. I just meant that Chevy fans who bitch about it being FWD should reserve judgement until they've taken a new one for a ride. 0-60 in under 6 seconds is pretty dam good.

I know. I just meant that Chevy fans who bitch about it being FWD should reserve judgement until they've taken a new one for a ride. 0-60 in under 6 seconds is pretty dam good.

[post="47924"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is the total truth!!!!! FWD isnt the bad thing people make it out to be. For a lot of people it may make it easier to deal with in bad conditions.

seriously your starting to sound like an emo kid

they did the monte carlo right and it gets its deserving reviews; thinking of getting a test drive if i find the time

[post="47730"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Woe is me....:D

It was a nice review.

But I was, as always being a sarcastic ass with the earlier post, not an Emo kid (I hate emo kids...Go figure eh :huh: )