Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MyerShift

Golf VI to be Called... THE GOLF!

14 posts in this topic

There seems to be quite a bit o jubilation over this at the VWVortex Forums as well.

Good move. Seemed odd to bring the Rabbit name back. Seemed as retrograde as if they had brought back Dasher or Quantum for the latest Passat.

VW has a thing for names that are either weird, random, stupid, or unpronounceable. :P

Or unspellable... I have a hard time speeling Touareg. And what about Routan, Tiguan, Touran, Sharan...

...and they are going to build it as a diesel/TDI car as well!

Chris

I prefer the Rabbit name... I always thought Golf was an odd name. Rabbit is a fast, nimble, cute animal. Golf is a slow, boring, fuddy-duddy game. But I'm really indifferent.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

Few non-German speakers realize Golf means Gulf (as in body of water) in German. Which is one reason why VW called the Golf Mk I "Rabbit" in the US all those years ago... to avoid confusion.

Good for VW! I'm sure the Rabbit moniker was alienating quite a few male shoppers. Reviving that moniker was one of VW's dumbest moves.

Naming the MKV Golf "Rabbit" was a last-minute decision made by VWoA's advertising firm CP&B... and for a while, they did come up with pretty cool Rabbit-themed ads:

Few non-German speakers realize Golf means Gulf (as in body of water) in German. Which is one reason why VW called the Golf Mk I "Rabbit" in the US all those years ago... to avoid confusion.

I never knew that. I thought Golf and Polo were meant to have some sort of thematic tie. I think Gulf would be a nice name, but of course that wouldn't make much sense now either.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0