GM: Pontiac brand not for sale

Davison, MI, Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealer Jim Waldron isn't ready to give up on the Pontiac brand just yet. During a local news program on Flint ABC affiliate WJRT-12, Waldron revealed that he had made an offer to General Motors to buy Pontiac. Earlier in the week, GM announced that the Pontiac brand would be shut down no later than the end of 2010.

However, GM VP for North American Communications, Tom Pyden, later told the station that no deal would happen since the brand is not for sale. The latest viability plan put forward by the automaker makes no provision for spinning off Pontiac like it does with Hummer and Saturn.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/02/pontiac...sale/2#comments

I don't see why GM would not sell Pontiac to someone who is willing to buy, unless there is the slim chance they plan to reintroduce limited run models in the future. I really like that idea, actually.

I think that this offer to "buy" Pontiac is way too late to be believable. The offers for Saturn seem to be from known entities, presented in a timely manner. I think it is also fair to assume that the shedding of brands is designed to accomplish something larger. I assume that this is to shed unprofitable models, architectures (kappa?), and factories (Wilmington?). If this consortium did somehow win the Pontiac brand, it would end affixed to some old mail jeeps from AM General or perhaps a nice Checker Cab (I actually like that last idea).

:cheering:

Unless you already had production facilities and a car line like in China and want to break into the American market you would have to be nuts to buy Pontiac or any other car company right now.

The Sales of Pontiac would end in even a worst ending in my veiw. Imagine the Pontiac name on a Koren Car! Oh Never mind Pontiac already did that one too. LOL!

Unless you already had production facilities and a car line like in China and want to break into the American market you would have to be nuts to buy Pontiac or any other car company right now.

The Sales of Pontiac would end in even a worst ending in my veiw. Imagine the Pontiac name on a Koren Car! Oh Never mind Pontiac already did that one too. LOL!

It would be a disaster in the worst order.

I'd see something like the Solstice being sold as the Pontiac if and when GM gets its act together. But at this point that's just dreaming...

I would still like to see this:

Link: Visit My Website

Smaller, sporty, yet practical. I think this thing would make quite an impact if GM ever gets healthy and brave enough to build it (which will probably never happen).

Posted b4, what true Pontiac loyalist would buy a Chinese/Russian/Hungarian/Turkish made thing called "Pontiac Gobblety-Goop"? Remember the last LeMans? [be glad if you dont!]

The Solstace would cost a lot more, if it was sold off to a tycoon, since it would have to have sub-contracted parts, etc.

GM is protecting Pontiac's history, and they make $$ off the licencing for retoration parts. Wouldn't one want to see more restored old Pontiacs, than "new" ones built in Timbuktu?

There's no 'savior car maker' who can whip up new versions of RWD F and A bodies. Someone posted "I'd like to see a new Pontiac GTO based on Nissan GTR", AS IF that would happen!!!

"if GM ever gets healthy and brave enough to build it "

And if the people who claim they would buy concept cars would actaully BUY them, instead of talking about it. Will the Camaro get enough buyers?

I think a production version of the Torana TT36 would be quite a different proposition from the Camaro. It would be a compact RWD 5-door sedan that would offer quite a bit of utility and practicality over the Camaro. It wouldn't exactly be a high volume product like a FWD compact sedan would be, but it wouldn't be as low volume or impractical as the Camaro either (which also has a short shelf life, being a sporty coupe).

I do think it would attract a lot of young professionals that are just starting out and can't quite afford a RWD German luxury compact. This car could serve as a sporty and affordable alternative.

I think a production version of the Torana TT36 would be quite a different proposition from the Camaro. It would be a compact RWD 5-door sedan that would offer quite a bit of utility and practicality over the Camaro. It wouldn't exactly be a high volume product like a FWD compact sedan would be, but it wouldn't be as low volume or impractical as the Camaro either (which also has a short shelf life, being a sporty coupe).

I do think it would attract a lot of young professionals that are just starting out and can't quite afford a RWD German luxury compact. This car could serve as a sporty and affordable alternative.

As much as I love the G8 family, the Torana should have been here first.