deftonesfan867

Actual DelDOT news letter

39 posts in this topic

So its perfectly alright if i went up to a white guy and said, "hey honkey, you the new guy?"

I mean it doesn't say not to say it

Maybe the 2010 newsletter will have an expanded Caucasian section.

Maybe the 2010 newsletter will have an expanded Caucasian section.

'Caucasian' is a misnomer also..my ancestors certainly weren't from cental Asia. :)

Edited by Cubical

Speaking of stuff like this, i remember on some survey it was what ethnicity are you or something to that extent. I checked the other box and wrote "American".

I wonder what they lumped me in with after that... ^_^

Speaking of stuff like this, i remember on some survey it was what ethnicity are you or something to that extent. I checked the other box and wrote "American".

I wonder what they lumped me in with after that... ^_^

At one company, I had an optional form to self-identify my ethnicity for EEOC hiring or something...I wrote, 'English-Scottish-Welsh-Scots-Irish-Irish-Native American', which is, based on my research, an accurate description of my ethnicity.

On a similar form elsewhere, I wrote, 'human', which is also accurate, I believe. :)

Edited by Cubical

I don't think Humans are an ethnicity. They are a race however.

eth⋅nic⋅i⋅ty

   /ɛθˈnɪsɪti/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [eth-nis-i-tee] Show IPA

–noun, plural -ties.

1. ethnic traits, background, allegiance, or association.

2. an ethnic group: Representatives of several ethnicities were present.

So clearly my statement as "American" for an ethnicity would have to be acceptable.

I don't think Humans are an ethnicity. They are a race however.

Actually, to be accurate, humans are a species. I was using 'humor' by claiming human as ethnicity.

Older Co-workers

• You know Wal Mart is hiring.

L.M.F.A.O

Can you recommend a good Mexican

Restaurant?

This is stereotyping and shows ignorance.

All Hispanics/Latinos are not Mexicans.

Lol, now if we called them Latin American Restaurants, is that acceptable?

Never refer to a co-worker as handicapped.

Always remember person first. It’s not the

“disabled man.” It’s the man with the

disability.

"Hey its the disabled man!" UNACCEPTABLE

"Hey its the man with the disability!" ACCEPTABLE!

Should we order fried chicken or

watermelon for you?

This is stereotyping and shows ignorance.

Now, i personally love both fried chicken and watermelons. So if i was going out to get these things for myself, would it be inappropriate for me to ask an African American if they would like me to get some for them too?

and the one about the LGBT community

I didn’t need to hear that.

If you are not interested in the person’s

personal life, simply say “Thank you.”

I don't even get this one. when someone comes out of the closet your response is supposed to be "Thank you"???????????

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

I think I'm going to print this off and give it to my team at our meeting Monday, just for $h!s and giggles. There is nothing in there about dealing with poor people, and since the corporate complex includes the distribution center, there are a lot of those around. Are we supposed to pity the poor wage slaves or mock them? Delaware doesn't have the answers I really need.

I think I'm going to print this off and give it to my team at our meeting Monday, just for $h!s and giggles. There is nothing in there about dealing with poor people, and since the corporate complex includes the distribution center, there are a lot of those around. Are we supposed to pity the poor wage slaves or mock them? Delaware doesn't have the answers I really need.

A coworker once said you should just ignore them, like they don't exist...kind of like the homeless..don't make eye contact, don't answer them.

A coworker once said you should just ignore them, like they don't exist...kind of like the homeless..don't make eye contact, don't answer them.

THAT'S SOOOOOOOOO TRUE!!

I lol'ed. Well, inside. My wife's sleeping.

Oh, and

Now, i personally love both fried chicken and watermelons. So if i was going out to get these things for myself, would it be inappropriate for me to ask an African American if they would like me to get some for them too?

Probably. Unless you know them THAT well.

Never refer to a co-worker as handicapped.

Always remember person first. It’s not the

“disabled man.” It’s the man with the

disability.

So changing the order of the working makes it better or worse? :huh:

I lol'ed. Well, inside. My wife's sleeping.

Oh, and

Probably. Unless you know them THAT well.

But in the exact same situation, if i asked say an Asian that very question, it would not be questionable?

I think people are way too hung up on race...maybe if we just treated each other the same regardless of color, number of limbs, and so on as opposed to tippy toing around them we might actually have real equality.

Or maybe I'm just crazy.

I think people are way too hung up on race...maybe if we just treated each other the same regardless of color, number of limbs, and so on as opposed to tippy toing around them we might actually have real equality.

Or maybe I'm just crazy.

+1

I hate people that turn everything into a racial issue. Political Correctness is the worst possible disease ever to have spread throughout the civilized world.

No, political correctness is necessary as it's a part of having good manners: making people feel comfortable, especially if you do not know them.

And asking an Asian about fried chicken and watermelon is way different than asking an African person the same thing...just like there's nothing wrong with asking an African person about chow mein and egg rolls, while that could be offensive to ask an Asian.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor