Duke Nukem Developer Closes Doors

http://www.techspot.com/news/34615-creator...-its-doors.html

Which means Duke Nukem Forever could very likely live on as vaporware forever. :(

Real shame, because I still have fond memories playing the earlier games secretly, because my parents weren't really fond of a 13 year old kid tipping topless 3D chicks and blowing up shiznat. If there was a king of video game role models, it was Duke. 8)

dang that sucks big time... and game informer had just done an article saying it was getting stupid close to finshed.

We played it at school over the LAN they had. No one had a clue we were even there doing it til one douche got on a computer and opened it after he accidently found it (we constantly moved the shortcut folder to folder) after that we had to password it and could only play it during computer gaming club on friday afternoons. by that time though it had blossomed into 2 groups. the starcraft/AOE people and the Rogue Spear/Halflife camps. it was awesome!

Holy crap, 12 years is an insanely long time for game development.

I wonder if any of the original designers/developers are still involved...that is an insanely long duration for any software development effort. I worked on one project that was 3 years from start to first client install, and that is a pretty long duration..

I have a couple DN (DN, DN in DC) games on my MAC that I play on occasion. Still cool.

haha i had all the add ons had duke nukem life's a beach and the DC one. i found the duke nukem plutonium PAK at walmart and snagged it for $20 back in the day.

I always look at stories like this from the perspective of the developers, those of us in the life, in the trenches (cubes).

The nature of the software industry is such that so many projects never complete, fail, get shelved, --or companies merge or fail, etc that if one's sense of being, worth, and career satisfaction depended heavily on getting closure--i.e. seeing the fruit of your personal and or team effort make it successfully in production--that you would go insane from lack of closure.

In my decade plus in the business, I've seen more failures than successes, unfortunately.

There have been countless processes developed over the years touted as the 'Silver Bullet' for the problem, but none of them really work...so many projects fail vs. the number that actually succeed.

It's a frustrating business to be in, but still can be a lot of fun and challenging at times.

Edited by Cubical

How on earth did they last as long as they did without releasing a sequel?!? Hard to believe people continued to sink money into such an inept group for so long.

I loved playing the first one back in the day. I remember the jet pack and the flushable urinals :-)