Next Gen Aveo Take on the 'Ring

Z-06

[source: Motor Authority]

Spy shots: Next-gen Chevrolet Aveo takes to the 'Ring

The Chevrolet Beat has been paraded around the last several auto shows as the forerunner to the production Spark hatchback revealed at March's Geneva Motor Show, to sit just below the Aveo as Chevy's smallest car. Now spy photos of a Spark-styled but slightly larger vehicle have been captured as it undergoes testing at Germany's notorious Nurburgring circuit and is thought to be the next-generation Aveo.

Chevrolet badges are clearly seen underneath stickers on the wheels, leaving little doubt as to its brand identity, and given Chevrolet's lineup, the place for a car slightly bigger than the Spark is where the Aveo currently sits. The 2009 Aveo just began North American production in San Luis Potosi, Mexico, in August of last year, but GM could already be working on a replacement.

The car spotted definitely shares traits with the Spark, possibly reflecting a next-generation styling direction for Chevrolet's small global cars. The stacked double-circle tail lights, rear hatch/spoiler area and sloping roof line are all very similar between the two.

Character lines along the side of the car in the spy shots are different from the spark, however, indicating its size difference and possible helping to differentiate the two stylistically. The headlights are also different, with two side-by-side circular lamps instead of the Spark's giant tear-drop shaped unit.

The interior of the car spotted is very nearly identical to the Spark, however, especially around the instrument panel and center stack area, again possibly reflecting a new interior brand identity.

Whatever the new car's name and eventual role may be, it's clear Chevrolet has something in the works, though it's not likely to hit the streets until 2010 at the earliest.

[images with Interior Picture]

looks like it could have promise. wonder if they have engines picked out for it. 1.4L and maybe 2.0L HO?

for whatever reason, the head lights remind me of a jetta, or rabbit sorta.

OMG, it has overtaken a R8! :P

Seriously now: this will be no Fiesta. That kind of styling theme will surely be left to the Corsa. The idea here seems for this to be a tall small car.

DOA. uninspiring inside and out.

as long as it sells cheap though.........

too bad the fiesta will make this look like carp.

I can't imagine the Aveo & Fiesta being direct competitors. Isn't the fiesta a more premium vehicle?

I can't imagine the Aveo & Fiesta being direct competitors. Isn't the fiesta a more premium vehicle?

It only seems that way because Ford actually put effort into not making it a $h!box which GM has never done with anything smaller than the Malibu.

It only seems that way because Ford actually put effort into not making it a $h!box which GM has never done with anything smaller than the Malibu.

Well, I went searching for Fiesta pricing info. The only thing I can find is that "it will cost less than the Focus." So, the question is how much less? Focus starts at over $15k. Aveo starts in the mid-$12k's. So, with the Fiesta in that range, it may be a couple grand more money than the Aveo, but I suppose even at that they will be somewhat competitors. Still, there will always be people that just want the cheapest car they can buy, no matter how much of a POS it may or may not be.

Well, I went searching for Fiesta pricing info. The only thing I can find is that "it will cost less than the Focus." So, the question is how much less? Focus starts at over $15k. Aveo starts in the mid-$12k's. So, with the Fiesta in that range, it may be a couple grand more money than the Aveo, but I suppose even at that they will be somewhat competitors. Still, there will always be people that just want the cheapest car they can buy, no matter how much of a POS it may or may not be.

Judging by how "well" the Aveo and G3 are selling, I would say those people are probably few and fart between, or shopping at Hyundai/Kia.

Judging by how "well" the Aveo and G3 are selling, I would say those people are probably few and fart between, or shopping at Hyundai/Kia.

The word fart makes me giggle.

I'd expect the Fiesta to start in the $13k range before you start adding stuff on and, assuming Ford doesn't deprive us of cool, high end options like SYNC, top out in the $18k area. A great move on Ford's part if gas spikes and levels off at $3+.

The interior is amazing and yes I do assume it will be priced low. I am really liking it though and hopefully it is either on par with the great new Fiesta or pretty close but a price cut. I am really excited to see this thing. Better than the current one I was talked out of. Now looking at used 3800 powered W-bodys.

Edited by gm4life

I had the present Aveo for a loaner from dealer. I now have a new appreciation for the sorry souls who drive them.

I understand cheap and affordable but this car made a Chevette appealing.

I drove it on the free way and it bounced and tracked all over the place. It had small horrid tires and lifeless suspesion.

I hope time on the ring will make this a true car that is a joy to drive not a chore. Just because it is cheap does mean it has to drive like a golf cart.

truthfully my guess is the fiesta will be too pricey. a new heavily rebated g6 may be cheaper.

Edited by regfootball

The word fart makes me giggle.

I'd expect the Fiesta to start in the $13k range before you start adding stuff on and, assuming Ford doesn't deprive us of cool, high end options like SYNC, top out in the $18k area. A great move on Ford's part if gas spikes and levels off at $3+.

one version of the fiesta may go that cheap. my guess is loaded fiestas will nip 20k though. focii are at 21-22 with all the trimmings. g3's even max out quite high.

I had the present Aveo for a loaner from dealer. I now have a new appreciation for the sorry souls who drive them.

I understand cheap and affordable but this car made a Chevette appealing.

I drove it on the free way and it bounced and tracked all over the place. It had small horrid tires and lifeless suspesion.

I hope time on the ring will make this a true car that is a joy to drive not a chore. Just because it is cheap does mean it has to drive like a golf cart.

yes, but it is GM.

one version of the fiesta may go that cheap. my guess is loaded fiestas will nip 20k though. focii are at 21-22 with all the trimmings. g3's even max out quite high.

The G3 also doesn't sell, mostly because its a rolling pile of donkey $h!.

If the Fiesta is sized like an Accent but priced like the Elantra ($14-19k) it should do fine. That gives Ford room to make the next Focus better.

There's nothing about the Fiesta that makes it prohibitively expensive. It's got a basic engine (no direct injection, no turbochargers), a simple transmission, safety features that most other small cars have - it's just designed better than cars like the Aveo or Yaris or Versa or Fit. And ours will be made in Mexico, which has lower labor costs than Korea.

The MK1 US Focus was a global vehicle, too, and that wasn't pricier than its competitors.

I am not digging the tall box design granted it will be more practical. If GM packages this car good and prices it right it may do a decent job even if it is not class leading.

The high roof design is a way to get more "passenger area" without giving passengers more actual room. Unless they're all torso. The Fiesta doesn't look like it suffers from the "high-roof-for-the-sake-of-a-high-roof" disease as badly as the Aveo.

There's nothing about the Fiesta that makes it prohibitively expensive. It's got a basic engine (no direct injection, no turbochargers), a simple transmission, safety features that most other small cars have - it's just designed better than cars like the Aveo or Yaris or Versa or Fit. And ours will be made in Mexico, which has lower labor costs than Korea.

The MK1 US Focus was a global vehicle, too, and that wasn't pricier than its competitors.

it was down specced in features and quality though, compared to its euro brothers, to meet cost targets

yes, but it is GM.

Yes the very same GM that took a Cobalt to a well driven 8:22 lap around the ring as well as a HHR to with in a couple tenths of a Honda 2000S on the same track.

The chassis people at GM have been given a green light to make things turn and ride well. The last few new cars have proven that.

Yes the very same GM that took a Cobalt to a well driven 8:22 lap around the ring as well as a HHR to with in a couple tenths of a Honda 2000S on the same track.

The chassis people at GM have been given a green light to make things turn and ride well. The last few new cars have proven that.

cobalt SS and HHR SS are 2 of my favorite rides and one of them might be my next car. but honestly. a- the aveo is GMDAT. it won't get the love. b-GM won't be selling fun cars anymore.

what GM should have done is give the Cobalt SS (and corvette) real competitive interiors and then people wouldn't find a reason to discard the whole car just because the inside isn't metrosexual.

cobalt SS and HHR SS are 2 of my favorite rides and one of them might be my next car. but honestly. a- the aveo is GMDAT. it won't get the love. b-GM won't be selling fun cars anymore.

what GM should have done is give the Cobalt SS (and corvette) real competitive interiors and then people wouldn't find a reason to discard the whole car just because the inside isn't metrosexual.

Time has passes passed on for these cars. Just adding an inteior would buy a year at best.

We will have fun cars again but GM needs to build better cars first before they worry about making them fast.