Clunker Laws

Does this whole bipartisan push for clunker laws bother anyone else here? I am by no means a conservative, but this just trikes me as a huge waste of government money when we have sooo many other good current uses for the money.

Plus, think of all the cars that will be crushed...

Plenty of B body big cars.

Think of the Caprices that could be fixed up, or the third gen Camaros, or the post 72 El-Camino's, or the decent shape GM trucks that could find a life hauling around a farmer or a mason or something.

Don't like this one bit.

Thoughts?

Chris

I own a clunker and you know what I'd do if someone offered me, oh say $1500 to junk it? I'd take it in a heartbeat. That $1500 could be put towards an Avalanche, which would do everything the Buick does more efficiently.

Examine the specifics of each proposed law, and you may find good reason to hate and oppose it.

Or not.

It depends on how it is written.

No one will ever miss an old K-car or clapped-out Camry or Accord, but I remember a number of magazine features about serious classics that they saved from the crusher...

I think it will be less serious classics than the stuff that the young and the working class will want to build.

There are a whole lot of cars that just need to get gone though...

Chris

It is a good idear in that it will boost sales of new iron. I am hoping that only a very few dolts let any vehicle approaching cool status be crushed.

...and if we can see some new iron turn it will help the economy bigtime. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Chris

I just wonder if this is the next step in the loss of some of our automotive freedoms.

A lot of things start out "voluntary"

+I wonder if they will include Tacomas in the definition of crushworth clunker?

Chris

I just wonder if this is the next step in the loss of some of our automotive freedoms.

A lot of things start out "voluntary"

+I wonder if they will include Tacomas in the definition of crushworth clunker?

Chris

Any attempt to make this non-voluntary means that I will arm myself.

No joke.

EDIT: On the Tacoma - Toyota certainly hopes so!

Edited by Camino LS6

You have to have the car insured for at least a year before you trade it in, 1984 and newer, and the new one, which has to be a new car, has to get at least 10mpg better than the one before it. People aren't going to be dragging Camaros out of fields on Friday and dragging them to the dealer Saturday. The only way I see someone using this program is if you have say, a parent who inherited the car a child drove through college and they want to buy a new one for themselves. People like me who are driving 20+ year old cars they assembled from spare parts, people who have no money for a new car or people who are going to get more than $3,500 on their trade in are never going to use this program, so I would think most cool cars would be pretty safe.

We will have to watch the small print.

You have to have the car insured for at least a year before you trade it in, the only cars you can trade in have to be 1984 and newer, the new car has to be a new one and not a used one and has to get at least 10mpg better than the one before it. People aren't going to be dragging Camaros out of fields on Friday and dragging them to the dealer Saturday. The only way I see someone using this program is if you have say, a parent who inherited the car a child drove through college and they want to buy a new one for themselves. People like me who are driving 20+ year old cars they assembled from spare parts, people who have no money for a new car or people who are going to get more than $3,500 on their trade in are never going to use this program, so I would think most cool cars would be pretty safe.

AT least we hope, anyways...