Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

This is why I prefer Hydraulic chairs

You know how older (and maybe newer, but can't recall seeing any) office chairs go up and down by spinning them like a nut on a bolt?

Yeah, mine is like that, and I got a reminder why I don't like the design, at least when the "nit" (being the base of the chair" is threaded in plastic.

Turn around last night at my desk, and there was a crack, followed by shaft (along with the rest of the chair and me on it)braking through the base and hitting the floor.

DF, you're one crafty Mo-Fo.

I'm too lazy to requisition a new office chair. The last time that happened I ended up with one with arm rests that were painfully uncomfortable on my elbows. I traded it with another rookie for his that was the same as the one that broke on me.

Now. a wheel has been falling out of one of the legs for over a year because it's somehow missing the bushing insert that is meant to be permanently part of the leg. I fixed it once by hammering in two steel wedges on either side of the wheel shaft, but they eventually worked loose. Just a couple of days ago I screwed in two drywall screws through the side of the leg against the notches in the shaft and it seems to be holding like new again.

I'm probably the only guy with a set of tools in a drawer of the desk. Sometimes I feel like I probably spend more time fixing other people's crap than I do work!

Edited by ShadowDog

I sit in one of these at work. They rock.

aeron_chair.jpg

At home, I have a cheap $99 leather chair from Office Max. It was decent at first, but the bottom cushin is starting to wear out already.

I have one of those too, they are nice for air circulation, but lower back is not very good

DF, you're one crafty Mo-Fo.

I'm too lazy to requisition a new office chair. The last time that happened I ended up with one with arm rests that were painfully uncomfortable on my elbows. I traded it with another rookie for his that was the same as the one that broke on me.

Now. a wheel has been falling out of one of the legs for over a year because it's somehow missing the bushing insert that is meant to be permanently part of the leg. I fixed it once by hammering in two steel wedges on either side of the wheel shaft, but they eventually worked loose. Just a couple of days ago I screwed in two drywall screws through the side of the leg against the notches in the shaft and it seems to be holding like new again.

I'm probably the only guy with a set of tools in a drawer of the desk. Sometimes I feel like I probably spend more time fixing other people's crap than I do work!

Why thank you. :D

Try putting JB Weld in the socket the wheel shaft goes into and putting wheel in, then let it dry.

--

I like my chair a lot. I bought it for $15 to replace the one I had whose frame broke. I got a Staples gift card to replace it, but I haven't used it yet because I don't want to buy a good chair for the damn cats to claw up.

Wish I knew what make/model it was so I could replace the armrest. They clawed the right one up then stopped clawing it altogether. It's a very comfortable and well padded chair.

And to think, since I bought my first computer in 1999, I've been using the same 50-year old wooden kitchen chair I got from my paternal grandfather. Not that it's ergonomic or anything, or even comfortable after a while. Edited by ocnblu