I bought a new Lucerne --I cant stand the wait

berg0449

I just saw a basic model and CXS Lucerne for the first time since the auto show. 1)Like the CXS feel alot better in the layout 2)The option wheels look alot better to me 3)Do not prefer the extra price gold color 4)As other said it looks alot better in person than the pictures With all that I would buy a CXS almost fully loaded it they had the correct color in stock. My main questions 1)The dealer said the cigarette lighter plug was not normal. He said the normal lighter stuff will not work. In my case like IPOD accessories. Anybody know if that's true. If so, what are the options for accessories like those. --To answer my own question about the car lighter. It does not have a lighter unless you order it, but the lighter plug is listed as an accessory plug that will work with anything that goes into a lighter plug. 2)If I buy a car not already on order it will take about 6-8 weeks to get it. Does that long sound normal? --THe dealer said about 6-8 would be what they will tell you. It sounds like reality currently is about 4-6 weeks, but they would rather go long. --Well even the dealer knew what car I wanted because it was ordered by another person before I even thought about spending the money. Edited by berg0449

I just saw a basic model and CXS Lucerne for the first time since the auto show.

1)Like the CXS feel alot better in the layout
2)The option wheels look alot better to me
3)Do not prefer the extra price gold color

With all that I would buy a CXS almost fully loaded it they had the correct color in stock.

My main questions
1)The dealer said the cigarette lighter plug was not normal.  He said the normal lighter stuff will not work.  In my case like IPOD accessories.  Anybody know if that's true.  If so, what are the options for accessories like those.
2)If I buy a car not already on order it will take about 6-8 weeks to get it.  Does that long sound normal?

[post="50345"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The second question is true. Two dealers told me the same thing about my G6.

I really doubt that the cig lighter thing is true.  I can see if you need to turn it to specific angles to get the correct contact points for accessories to work, like my 97 Monte Carlo, but I can't see them making it totally useless except for a lighter.

[post="50573"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I would bet your correct. I plan to go back with an accessory that uses the lighter plug. The dealer is saying that it is a totally different plug even though it looks similiar, so even cigarette lighters would not work. That just sounds very odd to me.

I would bet your correct.  I plan to go back with an accessory that uses the lighter plug.  The dealer is saying that it is a totally different plug even though it looks similiar, so even cigarette lighters would not work.  That just sounds very odd to me.

[post="50581"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Maybe he means that it is a dedicated power outlet, as opposed to a cigarette lighter that can be used as a power outlet. I know that the dedicated power outlets are somewhat different in their design.

I decided to see what the dealers would offer on online quotes. The problem now is that 1 of the dealers responsed with the car I prefer was already ordered and will be there soon. It is even the black color choice I want. The car was presold but the buyer recently had to drop the deal. Ahhhh what a choice. Maybe time to see what deal they would really offer. Edited by berg0449

I guess I have to learn to look. I went for a test drive. I love the feal and look of the car. The main thing it was missing is a sun roof. After telling them I prefer to order to get a sunroof and they were not my normal dealer things went to my side (or at least they want me to believe). I got such a deal on the car I do not feel right even telling you about it. The dealer is throwing in an after market sunroof along with other additions. They also nocked off the price alot for a new model car. The only trick is that for some odd reason I cannot get the car till 12/14 (ok so I have a VIP car :-) ) It is a loaded Black CXS. So the only thing left is to clean out my retirement LeSabre and get back closer to my generation. Ok so I am only 30. To answer my own question about the car lighter. It does not have a lighter unless you order it, but the lighter plug is listed as an accessory plug that will work with anything that goes into a lighter plug. Edited by berg0449

It'll be a great buy. I finally saw a Lucerne on the street in normal traffic. I followed it for 6 blocks! It was beautiful; a black CXL V8. It's a very impresssive car on the road, and it definitely has a luxurious presence to it. I still would have prefered a design that wasn't quite so jellybean in shape, but that said, it's still a great looker.

When I test drove the car the dealer brought me on several roads. One of them was under construction. If I did not see the bumps or construction I would have never noticed. I could not believe how smooth the ride is. I will be another person to admit the pictures and online information does not do this car any justice.

I guess I have to learn to look.  I went for a test drive.  I love the feal and look of the car.  The main thing it was missing is a sun roof.  After telling them I prefer to order to get a sunroof and they were not my normal dealer things went to my side (or at least they want me to believe).  I got such a deal on the car I do not feel right even telling you about it.  The dealer is throwing in an after market sunroof along with other additions.  They also nocked off the price alot for a new model car.  The only trick is that for some odd reason I cannot get the car till 12/14 (ok so I have a VIP car :-) )

It is a loaded Black CXS.

So the only thing left is to clean out my retirement LeSabre and get back closer to my generation.  Ok so I am only 30.
To answer my own question about the car lighter.  It does not have a lighter unless you order it, but the lighter plug is listed as an accessory plug that will work with anything that goes into a lighter plug.

[post="55102"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

congrats on your purchase. it'll be an awesome car. sounds like you got a pretty sweet deal, AND a sunroof, cool!

2)If I buy a car not already on order it will take about 6-8 weeks to get it.  Does that long sound normal?

[post="50345"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes. The usual time frame you are quoted is 6-8 weeks. Best case scenario if you're really lucky you'll have your car in 5-weeks. I had a great customer of mine order up a 2003 Silverado with a very complex list of wants and "deletes" and it was on the dealer's lot in 5 weeks! He was thrilled. Always good to have a Police Officer as a friend. :)

The other side of the coin is pretty bad though. My friend Mike calls his Nassau Blue 1998 Corvette wiht a white top his "BABY".

Why? He waited 9 months to get the car from the point the order was placed. He was also quoted about 2 months. This happened durring the infamous ordering snafu that occred when GM went to a paperless ordering system.

Best of luck, I'm sure the Lucerne is a great vehicle I just wish it had a Park Ave and a RWD Roadmaster for siblings.

I have some good news and bad news Well lets start with the bad news 1)My pocket book is now empty 2)I do not own a digital camera 3)I have 5 days to wait --AHHHHHH Now the good news 1)I have 5 days till I get my dream car. Yes I have been dreaming about it since the auto show 2)I might be able to get a digital camera 3)My pocket book will survive. 4)I did not have to wait 6-8 weeks. I am only day 2 out of 7 and already going nuts. Anybody think its time to open the wine bottle I got in 2000 when I bought my LaSabre. That might be a good going away party. I think even the dealer cannot wait. I have recieved several calls from different people at the dealer, including some I never heard from that day. What a difference from my last car buy. I never heard from the dealer except when they wanted more money when I came close to each service. If anybody is wondering why I would dump the 2000 laSabre is because the plenum went out recently causing alot of problems with the car since then. Even the other dealer service said if it was them they would dump it. My bet is they thought I would dump it with them :-). Thats what they get for not returning my price quote in 48 hours. The dealer that gave me an initial quote in 2 hours got the sale. My new dealer did enough to get me in the door and keep me there. They knew that I had 3 closer dealers to go if I left the building. Edited by berg0449

I have some good news and bad news

Well lets start with the bad news
1)My pocket book is now empty

2)I do not own a digital camera 
3)I have 5 days to wait --AHHHHHH

Now the good news
1)I have 5 days till I get my dream car.  Yes I have been dreaming about it since the auto show
2)I might be able to get a digital camera
3)My pocket book will survive.
4)I did not have to wait 6-8 weeks.  I am only day 2 out of 7  and already going nuts.
Anybody think its time to open the wine bottle I got in 2000 when I bought my LaSabre.  That might be a good going away party.

I think even the dealer cannot wait.  I have recieved several calls from different people at the dealer, including some I never heard from that day.  What a difference from my last car buy.  I never heard from the dealer except when they wanted more money when I came close to each service.
If anybody is wondering why I would dump the 2000 laSabre is because the plenum went out recently causing alot of problems with the car since then.  Even the other dealer service said if it was them they would dump it.  My bet is they thought I would dump it with them :-).  Thats what they get for not returning my price quote in 48 hours.  The dealer that gave me an initial quote in 2 hours got the sale.  My new dealer did enough to get me in the door and keep me there.  They knew that I had 3 closer dealers to go if I left the building.

[post="55751"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Uh... if you decide to open up the bottle of wine and celebrate, PLEASE do not get into the Lucerne after and drive away!!! It's not that I care about your safety, it's that I care about the Lucerne being left in one piece! lol :)

Just kidding... congrats! I can't wait to see some pictures--make sure you borrow a digital camera and take TONS of pictures!! :) And that includes some nighttime shots of the interior illuminated :)

I love your comment Paolino about the wine.  Now I could make you go nuts by breaking the bottle on the Lucerne :blink:  :o But I am not nuts :P  You can probably tell I drink alot, since its unopened after almost 6 years. :P

[post="56021"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

hey i'll help ya fininsh it off :lol:

Lol i'll wash your car if you take me for a ride in it? B)

I didnt read all the post, just the first few. Congratulations first. Im a little concerned with this "aftermarket" sunroof. There may be all kinds but some are a bad deal. They are supposed to have 4 drains, one at each corner, they are supposed to have tubes running down through the front and rear pillors, draining out at bottom of the car. Any failure to do it proper will compromise the car down the road, usually not the problem of origional owner however, unless it starts leaking into the car. These new cars most likely have a dense foam sound insulation in the pillors, making it hard to run these drains after the fact. Just something to think about and maybe check up on. I would suspect that an aftermarket installer would just let the drains run off into the pillors and not tube it down to the bottom. I wanted to put a factory electric moonroof in my 86 LeSabre but cant see how I can get tubes down through front pillors with them packed full of foam ? Then at the bottom of pillors the sheet metal dead ends and its not the kind of thing you can get to to drill straight. Perhaps these people have tools for just these problems but Im rather pestimistic as to the integrity of the typical repair or aftermarket shop, multiplied by 2 for "dealerships". the front tubes on my LSS come out the very front of the rocker panel at the bottom of the A pillor behind the front fenders. The rear Im not sure about