Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daves87rs

What wax do you use?

37 posts in this topic

I'm curious to see which one everyone is using...

I switched from Mother's to Meg's this year, to see if the wax will last a bit longer...

I've been using Rejex since my neighbor started using it on his Corvette about 2 years ago. It lasted for 6 months on my car through the winter with just one coat. It also allows bugs, etc to just wipe off the paint when washing. The only down side is it is only available at True Value hardware stores, and cost about $22.

It ads a good shine (though not as good as the Meguiar's Gold Class), but it has amazing longevity, and is easy to use. I also leaves no dust!

I use Meguiar's 3 step Deep Crystal wax system minus step 1 since they discontinued it, replacing it with their Ultimate Compound. For in between I use their quick wax.

I'm considering trying Adam's Swirl and Haze Car Polish, a lot of people on LHforums swear by the stuff.

I'm inclined to believe since it can do this:

vondavette1.jpg

vondavette4.jpg

Very Impressive. 8)

I've been using 3M's Perfect-It "showcar" wax for 5-6 yrs. now and really like it. Seems to leave the fewest swirl marks on my black VUE which has always had incredibly easy to scratch paint for some reason. I'd blame it on the additives used to make it stick to the plastic body panels but my '96 Saturn had very durable paint on it.

Any compounding has been done with Imperial hand glaze or Perfect-it III compound used sparingly.

Meh, I don't think the scratch was really that bad... if you threw a bunch of dirt on it again you would be able to see them. You can tell from the reflection that that area has hardly been perfected.

The best wax you can buy outside of a carnauba wax (which costs hundreds) is 3M, the stuff is magic. The only thing that can take a bird $h! stain out of paint is some sort of 3M polish (it's been 3 years since I was detailing cars, so I don't remember except that it was 3M). I use 3M at home as a result.

I use Meguiar's 3 step Deep Crystal wax system minus step 1 since they discontinued it, replacing it with their Ultimate Compound. For in between I use their quick wax.

I'm considering trying Adam's Swirl and Haze Car Polish, a lot of people on LHforums swear by the stuff.

vondavette1.jpg

vondavette4.jpg

Wow!

MgGuires Cleaner wax works well on a daily driver...

Chris

Mothers for a show car...

Chris

Mothers for a show car...

Chris

I like Mothers (Have used it for a while), but it doesn't seem to last as long any more. Anybody else have those issues?

I don't wax. It's not my thing. But I'll be happy to

ask my wife what she uses on her legs... oh, wait

I get it. Riiiiight.

In all seriousness I have not waxed a car in about

seven years. I did wax the Camaro a few times

but even that was a waste of time. Besides, I'm all

about patina.

Of course if a new or newish 5th gen. Camaro ever

ends up in my ownership, or perhaps a CTS-V, then

I'll most certainly wax it to keep it looking good.

I don't wax. It's not my thing. But I'll be happy to

ask my wife what she uses on her legs... oh, wait

I get it. Riiiiight.

In all seriousness I have not waxed a car in about

seven years. I did wax the Camaro a few times

but even that was a waste of time. Besides, I'm all

about patina.

Of course if a new or newish 5th gen. Camaro ever

ends up in my ownership, or perhaps a CTS-V, then

I'll most certainly wax it to keep it looking good.

What about Nu Finish? That might work for you...

Given the condition of his 92 Buick, spray on bedliner might also work well as a finish.

Chris

I don't wax. It's not my thing.

Here in FL, even some of the clearcoat cars will have the paint all burnt to **** in <5 yrs. without frequent waxing. :o

Many people still don't wax their stuff though, even the plastic headlamps which look yellow and nasty on a lot of fairly new cars.

Here in FL, even some of the clearcoat cars will have the paint all burnt to **** in <5 yrs. without frequent waxing. :o

Many people still don't wax their stuff though, even the plastic headlamps which look yellow and nasty on a lot of fairly new cars.

Wow!

I haven't waxed in years, since I started leasing my vehicles and not giving them the kind of attention that I gave the cars I owned. Even when I had the SKY I didn't wax it, though I wanted to. The wife's '08 Pontiac G6 will be getting a full detail soon, especially since it's approaching it's 1 year anniversary this Sunday. Keep posting what you all use and why you like it, since I need to go out and buy wax ASAP.

And seeing as how I'll be attending the All-GM Nationals show on Saturday in Carlisle, I could use advice quickly as Meguiars and Mothers are usually there hocking their wares (and usually at a car show discount). TIA!

And seeing as how I'll be attending the All-GM Nationals show on Saturday in Carlisle, I could use advice quickly as Meguiars and Mothers are usually there hocking their wares (and usually at a car show discount). TIA!

Use Meg's NXT 2.0....great shine....and actually lasts a while....

Just make sure it is the 2.0.

Cars i care about get good ol turtle wax 4 times a year and the others get nu finish 2 a year. nu finish lasts forever but doesnt look good at all.

Before clear coat finishes one who polished and waxed frequently could achieve that wet look. Everybody else's finish turned to chalk board. Now the clear coats all look wet, but the clear coat dulls quickly, too. You're not really taking care of paint any more, just a clear coat.

Cars i care about get good ol turtle wax 4 times a year and the others get nu finish 2 a year. nu finish lasts forever but doesnt look good at all.

Nu finish is finally getting a better shine to go with that protection that it offers....

Haven't used turtle wax in a while...

I don't wax, oh you mean on the car ??? Never mind ... :duck:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I don't wax, oh you mean on the car ??? Never mind ... :duck:

:fryingpan::neenerneener:

Use Meg's NXT 2.0....great shine....and actually lasts a while....

Just make sure it is the 2.0.

Thanks for the recommendation. There were a ton of people at the Meguiar's tent yesterday at Carlisle, and many bought the NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 (including me). It was pricey - $17 for a 18 fl. oz. bottle, but if it works as great as you say, then it will be well worth it.

Yes, I've heard on LHforums that NXT 2.0 is great, but from their experience it doesn't last that long. Haven't tried it myself though.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0