Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
balthazar

Car shoppin' time!

91 posts in this topic

Here we go- wife & I have agreed it's time to go replacin' ... esp based on the fact I am looking at $4500 for my '94 F-150 (provided we use a dealer who participates, right?) - whose trade-in value according to KBB is $513. :rolleyes: That's a travesty, IMO.

The F-150 (as sad as it would make me to condemn it to crushing- my only new purchase) would go as the trade toward replacing her '03 GP SE. That's been a VG car and she still likes it, but the mileage is getting where I'd rather she was in something newer, and 1-2 more years withOUT the CARS cash is doing no one any favors here.

She's not necc against some sort of smaller crossover/ SUV, but as a rule, they get worse mileage & cost more than a sedan. We'd like to stay in the same size range overall (I'm not against going slightly larger), but we don't want anything smaller. Oh, and there's no foreign makes allowed in this household. SPECS: 4-person family, low-tech needs, performance not a priority, stickers up to $25K or so. She gets about 24 around town MPG (3.1L)- better than that would be great.

Questions ~

> Do dealers ever take 2 cars in on a trade, ie: '03 GP plus the '94 F-150 'clunker' ?

> Should I be aware of any problems incorporating GM card cash into the deal ($1900) ?

Feel free to suggest possibilities (it's always fun to spend other's coin, no?)

Feel free to suggest possibilities (it's always fun to spend other's coin, no?)

:lol:

It's funny because its true. :P

Well from the GM stable there's the Malibu, which is a solid choice based on reviews. It's handsome vehicle with a fairly nice interior, and even in lower trim form doesn't look cheap. On the larger side is the Impala, but you want to upgrade from the GP. I'm sure there's heavy incentives on it though, and you said performance and tech aren't priorities. As far as CUVs go, the Equinox gets very impressive mpg numbers. There's also the G8 V6.

From Ford, there's the Fusion which has been getting very good reviews, and I think you can still get the 4-banger with a stick, if she cares for such things. There's the Edge but as I recall MPGs aren't that great. You might be able to get a leftover Taurus for cheap, or go for the new one.

From Chrysler there's the Avenger, which is in base form is certainly not very techy or performance oriented. It gets good fuel economy and I'm sure has hefty incentives, but it's not nearly as refined as the Malibu or Fusion I'd wager. However, the incentives may make up or that, because I'ms sure they're much higher than incentives on the Malibu and Fusion. There's also the Charger, which again has good incentives, is comfortable, and performance is respectable with the 3.5. Skip the 2.7 though, the extra fuel economy isn't worth the gutlessness. If you plan to keep the car for a while, Chrysler's lifetime powertrain warranty might also be a factor.

I'd say go for a Pontiac G8 V6 Sedan... last chance to get such a great Pontiac/car. Of course if you're alright with a Saturn, there are a ton of deals being made on AURAs right now. If you want to stay mainstream GM, then consider a Chevy Malibu (I personally like the 2LT with the 3.6L V6 Performance Package). I'd recommend a Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan too, as my wife likes hers and it has been offering a steady 26 MPG rating (she drives mostly highway to work (I-295 to I-95 to Route 1 North to Princeton). And the G6 is well-optioned: power/heated/leather seats, 6-disc CD radio, sunroof, chrome package, 3.5L V6, etc. As for trading in two vehicles, that's up to the dealer you're going with. When I sold new BPG's back in '99-'00 I had a customer trade in 3 cars for a new GMC Sierra (of course two of the three were going right to the junkyard!). You'll have to see how the CARS cash plays into it, and how the dealer wants to handle it. Good luck!!

GMC Terrain SLE-1 2.4L AWD.

Malibu, without question.

Chris

Interesting to put my theories to the test here- I generally direct the car shopping for her to a point. Her rides: '93 Grand Am, '98 Intrique, '03 GP. Basically, a 'mid-level' GMer. Pontiac is gone.... where will we defect to ??

Malibu is a given- we'll check one out this weekend. Starts @ $21.6K, decent starting point.

I don't think I'm going to get 'warm fuzzies' from the Impy.

G6 is going to be too small.

G8 I will check- hadn't thought about it since seeing a G8 GXP on the floor @ $40K.

>>"GMC Terrain SLE-1 2.4L AWD"<< price is OK @ $24K, but sorry; I find it rather hideous. Yes, this is a factor. I'll look, tho.

I sure like what I've seen on the '10 'nox- are they @ the dealers now?

This may be the chance to do what all of you seem to have done- fritter away time in cars I have no intention of buying. I just don't kno if I could keep the revulsion off my face at the toyota dealer :P

If you can't find the G8 you want I could keep my eyes open around here.

A few local dealers have a pretty good selection of them still.

But for my money, it would be a Malibu.

Chris

Balthy: new 2010 Equinox is at dealers. You and your wife will love the interior. Very stylish, and it gets great mileage, still 29 mpg with AWD and the 2.4L. I thought you might like the Terrain because you're kind of an "Industrial Strength" type of guy.

Balthy: new 2010 Equinox is at dealers. You and your wife will love the interior. Very stylish, and it gets great mileage, still 29 mpg with AWD and the 2.4L. I thought you might like the Terrain because you're kind of an "Industrial Strength" type of guy.

Yes but he's not a poser and the Terrain is pseudo "Industrial Strength". :P

... said the guy with the Dodge Shadow of Its Former Self.:)

snipe, snipe ! :lol:

Don't forget : this is the wife's ride, not mine. I'm still cuddly with my 2500HD DuraMax.

I like what I've seen of the Acadia, but I believe it starts in the high 20s, and it's pretty large (for her).

Got some ground to cover this weekend.

The GMC Terrain won't be available until the fall, and I think they go into production in September (from what I've been told). The 2010 Chevy Equinox is on dealers lots now and you should be able to find them (atleast entry-level models). Just remember though that there are no incentives on these new CUVs right now.

The G6 is no smaller than the Malibu or AURA. I've had the '04 Malibu and the G6 is longer than that; I believe that the new Malibu was put onto the G6/Malibu MAXX platform. The downside to the G6 is that the athletic design of the car leads to a slimmer trunk, though we fit plenty of stuff in ours with no problem. I understand that with Pontiac going away you may want to stay away from the brand, but ours has been bulletproof so far this past year and my dad's '06 G6 V6 Sedan has been very reliable & dependable the last three years. If you like the design and it offers the features and options you want, I'd consider it (plus you might get a better deal on them than a comparable Malibu). Same thing for the AURA, but I don't know how you feel about Saturn's future.

Friends of ours just rented a new 2010 Ford Fusion this past week for a trip to Williamsburg, VA. They went from where I live in southern NJ to Williamsburg on half a tank of gas, getting between 33-35 MPG. They're big Ford fans and they own two 2005 Fords - he has a 500 Limted sedan and she has a Freestyle Limited AWD. They do a lot of highway driving to & from work and the 500 is up for replacement. She said they're going next week to look the new 2010 Fusion because of how much they liked it for the past week. I'm seeing a ton of the new '10 Fusions on the roads here in southern NJ.

I'd still recommend a GM product though :P

You know what, I forgot that you're a blended family. How about an Escape XLT/Mariner 2.5L AWD, or the aforementioned 2010 Fusion or Milan?

snipe, snipe ! :lol:

Don't forget : this is the wife's ride, not mine. I'm still cuddly with my 2500HD DuraMax.

I like what I've seen of the Acadia, but I believe it starts in the high 20s, and it's pretty large (for her).

Got some ground to cover this weekend.

As for the Lambdas, you won't find a GMC Acadia for under $31-$32K, and at that price you're looking at a base SLE FWD model. Same thing with the Chevy Traverse, but you may find some Saturn OUTLOOKs at $30K, if not slightly less (again, all cloth interiors with FWD). Trust me, I've been looking at them all down my end of the state.

What's a "blended family" ? :scratchchin: Does it mean I get to mix hard liquor into my parenting ? ;)

OK- Acadia too big & too pricey. Out.

Terrain too hideous and not here yet. Out.

No GMCs I'm afraid, Roger.

BTW- I also do a lot of work in Princeton- north side currently (Montgomery).

-- -- -- -- --

Traverse on the same platform is going to be too big, also.

I have no problem buying a Pontiac. My recollection of the G6 was shortly after they came out & I sat in one- seemed small. I'll check it all the same.

HHR: she doesn't like, and that has to be too small for us.

-- -- -- -- --

We're definately in the Malibu-class sedan or Equinox-class of CUV. Haven't been to the Ford dealer since 2 years ago- checking out the Edge. Lots of new stuff over there- will check & report.

There's also the Journey, Vue, and Caravan is she's not concerned about what's fashionable, thought the Caravan might be too big (it is however, very practical).

>>"There's also the Journey, Vue, and Caravan is she's not concerned about what's fashionable, thought the Caravan might be too big (it is however, very practical)."<<

Not to imply she's not fashion-conscious... ideally she'd prolly love a '10 Mustang convertible (or Camaro)- she had an '87 'stang and liked the 'sportiness' of it (4cyl/auto :rolleyes: ), but it was moreso than the next 3 sedans at least.

But minivans are a towering, unshakable 'NO'.

About the current Equinox & Torrent - while I like them a lot (especially the Pontiac), the one thing I can't ever get over is how plasticky the interior is (I mean no offense to you gm4life; if I found a Torrent equipped how I want it this summer and the deal was too good to pass up, I'd be hard pressed not to seriously consider it). It's something to consider and it's one of the reasons why I'd rather wait for the new Terrain to come out (or Equinox in your case).

Yeah, the Lambdas will be bigger than what she probably wants. My wife hates the HHR too, so she would never consider it for herself. While I really like them, my personal issue deals with its smallish size and being 4-cyl powered only (I really like my V6s!). There's always the Pontiac Vibe, but they're about the same size class as the HHR.

DF is right - you have quite a few crossovers to check out with the Edge, Journey, VUE, etc. For some reason I really like the Journey a lot, but like the Equinox/Torrent the interior comes off plasticky.

Have a ton of fun checking/test-driving everything and we expect a full report on your experiences :P

Edge is mildly interesting.

I'd say G8, but it might break the budget.

>>"There's also the Journey, Vue, and Caravan is she's not concerned about what's fashionable, thought the Caravan might be too big (it is however, very practical)."<< Not to imply she's not fashion-conscious... ideally she'd prolly love a '10 Mustang convertible (or Camaro)- she had an '87 'stang and liked the 'sportiness' of it (4cyl/auto :rolleyes: ), but it was moreso than the next 3 sedans at least. But minivans are a towering, unshakable 'NO'.

Here is another thought...why buy another n "normal" car ever again?

You could keep her current car running 4 ever, or until the boys are out of the house.

Buy a car you really want...Solstice, Sky, Mustang Convertible, Camaro, etc.

We have 5 kids and no "normal car"

Besides, think of how much fun you can havewt your kids with a cool car. Being a parent with a roadster is fun, as the kids know they are getting just mom or just dad when they go in the Miata. A Solstice could work the same way.

For times you all have to go somehwere, get an extra cab beater truck that runs well. Maybe not a total beater, but a 2001 Ford/Chevy Dodge 2WD could be had cheap. perhaps.

But yeah...I'd open it up to Camaro/Mustang/Solstice/Sky. But that's just me. And my wife tolerates my automotive passions well.

And with your minivan comment we can assume a Sienna is off the shopping list?

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0