Is Canada all that different from America?

Variance

I don't live in Canada (obviously) and haven't visited there before. I'm aware of the obvious differences in currency, standards of measurement, government and all of that but I was wondering if Canadians were terribly different from Americans intellectually-speaking. You know, personality-wise and the like.

From my own experience we are much the same by region. If you look at Eastern Canada, most in the region share many of the same values as those in the Northeastern US. Same holds true for the midwest and the west coast. My brother moved Connecticut from Newfoundland and has fit in nicely. He loves it there because people are similar to what they are back home. His wife is from Connecticut, she loves Canada (in the summer) but says if she ever moves here it will have to warm up. We all agree that the system of government in Canada and the US are very different but both are very corrupt. A few major differences: Gay marriage is legal in Canada, though that will change in the US the next time the Democrats are elected. There is no capital punishment here, our justice system is way too laxed. I feel we need to punish more rather than the liberal "rehab" system, they are there to re-learn right and wrong. Dumb idea, do the crime, do the time. Edited by Cremazie

but I was wondering if Canadians were terribly different from Americans intellectually-speaking. You know, personality-wise and the like.

[post="60996"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes. IQs are significantly lower, they are just now starting to put their opposable thumbs to use. They speak this primitive form of English that involves adding this nasal "eh?" sound at the end of their sentences. They seem to be unable to directly answer questions and put a large emphasis on "feelings" so much that it impairs their ability to be honest. That said, Canadians generally are friendly and well-intending, though Americans should be advised that they are not to be trusted.

........and if anyone bought that load of crap they should be VERY embarrassed.

Duh, cultural differences exist just like someone from the West Coast will feel like they are venturing into an unknown civilization when they travel to the Midwest and vice versa.

Canadians are much like Americans, though they tend to be much more polite, spell certain words strangely, and have an odd accent in comparison. Canadians enjoy this place called Tim Horton's, have a special affinity for the Pontiac brand, like Hockey more than Football (I KNOW...WTF!?!?), and don't have their heads ten feet up their asses regarding politics.

The Canadians. They walk among us. William Shatner. Michael J. Fox. Monty Hall. Mike Meyers. Alex Trebek. All of them Canadians. All of them here.

[post="61010"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't forget Celine Dion.. Thank god she is in Las Vegas.

Don't forget Celine Dion.. Thank god she is in Las Vegas.

[post="61017"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:rotflmao:

(You guys really hate her dont you? Sort of like Owensboro, KY hates MTV and that John guy from the Real World show in LA) Edited by CD/BP

When I was in Thunder Bay a few years ago I noticed there was just about no garbage on the streets and most of the people were driving around smaller cars with very few SUVs. Plus everything was in metric. (Shudder.) Can't complain about the exchange rate though B) . Crazy clean Canadians with your welfare state, tiny cars and everything in a crazy pagan measurement system. How is South Park doing in Canada after the song "Blame Canada?"

[post="61026"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think most Canadians were happy to be mentioned in an American Cartoon! I think it became more popular because it was also mentioned on the news. (Free Advertising)

I noticed one thing about Canadians when living in Michigan........ Most of them (that hadn't travelled the U.S. too much) based most of their opinions on the U.S. on the two cities that are nearest their borders....(talking about people in Ontario here)...... Detroit....and Buffalo..... No offense to anyone living in those two areas.....but they are, to put it mildly, not the most beautiful or clean examples of U.S. cities.... Originally being from Dallas myself, I was continually defending other parts of the U.S. when out with Canadian friends in Michigan or Ontario.

thread title: Is Canada all that different from America?

Canada is still AMERICA just like the USA. :P

Don;t forget Jim Carey, Alanis Morisette & Bryan Adams!

Now now, we've already appologized for Bryan Adams on several occasions. It's aboot Democracy and it's aboot... [/SouthParkBLU]

Blame Canada!

Posted Image

and that b!tch Anne Murry too...

All joking aside I love Canada. I've had many fun vacations up there as a kid. They have some good looking girls up there too, I almost lost my virginity in Toronto but that's a story for another day...

:CanadaEmoticon:

Edited by Sixty8panther

Canada isn't really that different from the 'States, but most Canadians like to think that Canada is. Makes them feel special, or something. I, for one, don't understand it. One thing I do wish we had here: White Castle! That stuff is addictive!

I've never even had White Castle before! :huh: I don't think we're all that different other than the obvious things. The most glaring difference would be our vastly different political beliefs. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe mainstream Canada leans left (or far left) and the mainstream U.S. leans right. A few months ago I heard about a poll (forget who it was done by) that was taken around the time the gay marriage legislation was passed in Canada that said the majority of Canadians were against it. I believe it's the same for England, too, but I'm not sure. Please let me know if I have it mixed up. Democrats will never win the 60 seats to overcome the Republican fillibuster on it, anyway. Mainstream America has nothing to worry about. I went to Quebec for a French class trip in 10th grade. It was nice, I guess. Quebec City was a lot better than Montreal, IMO. I remember a group of my friends were eating at a restaurant in Montreal and some girl tried to order in French. It was so embarassing...it was like we never even learned French for a day. I still feel like I didn't experience the real Canada because Quebec is akin to the renegade province or something along those lines. I'd visit Toronto and Vancouver but definately the midwest and east coast. Beautiful. Edit: can I spell correctly just once? Edited by sciguy_0504

Do we even feel Democrats will really come back into power? I don't mean to turn this into a political thread, just a simple question with a simple answer. Nothing against either side, it's not about sides, I just want to know if, in general, people feel they might come back into power, and what the reasons are for it. Have Bush's policies really affected that many people? I just don't see how his policies really would taint the Republican party in general. Not to say they haven't, I don't really know.....so can someone educate me?

Well, I get to visit Canada occasionaly and really enjoy it when I go to Toronto. It's where everything happens. I'm amazed at how much construction and growth there is when driving up there and at the same time disgusted that Buffalo, a city that's been around a lot longer is in the crapper and continues to fade away into oblivion because all the politicians and "old-money" don't like progress because it takes away their power. Greed, Unions(not UAW), and NYS taxes have turned this city into ruins. Canada (specifically southern Ontario) Rocks! If the taxes weren't so high, I'd live there in a heartbeat. Canadians are cool. My neighbors are Canadian, I went to school with a bunch of ex-canucks. Nothing different about them with the exception of the accent. Funny how much of a difference there is when you cross the border. I'd really like to visit Vancouver BC someday. It sounds like a very beautiful city.

Its funny some of you mention a Canadian accent. I find its Americans with the strange accents. Some Canadian: Hey dude, lets go get some coffee at Tims, eh? Some American: Huuuh? What Ya'll sayin' now? Some Canadian: Er, you know, Tim Hortons? Some American: Dang, h'wats that ya'll? Some Canadian: Um, a place, with like good coffee eh! Some American: Uuuuh Huuh. :P When I travel from Southern Ontario to Upstate New York, and Detroit, it seems as though the grass is nice and green, birds are singing, everything is clean...then I cross the border into the US, and its all yellow, smoggy, and borded up houses. I dunno. Ill stay on this side of the border. ^_^ :CanadaEmoticon:

Do we even feel Democrats will really come back into power?

[post="61167"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, especially if their presidential candidate is another moderate Southern governor, like former Va. governor Mark Warner. Democrats win the Presidency with moderate Southern governors (Carter, Clinton).

Long-term demographic trends (declining percentage of non-hispanic whites) also indicate a chance for Democrats to be more successful in the future.

Canadians seem to have the same social views as most people on the West Coast and Northeast have. The Ford and AFA threads showed me that few people at C&G are from the South. Edited by ehaase

As far as my Canadian girlfriend is concerned, she feels more at home in Australia than she does in the USA. Similarly, I notice the difference when I cross the USA/Canada border, and I feel far more comfortable in Canada than I do in the USA. It's a strange thing, and nothing I can explain, but I can certainly sense that there is a difference. As it has often been said, "Canadians are just like people from the USA except that Canadians have mastered the art of saying 'please', 'thank you', and 'pardon me'."

Just to add to this topic, he is tongue in cheek still a right wingnut. Man, I really hate the: "Either you agree with us completely or you are the enemy" anyhow, it's funny to read.

Canada is a 'retarded cousin,' says U.S. pundit

Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Canada has been described lately by a conservative U.S. television host as "a stalker" and a "retarded cousin."

Another pundit recently asked if Canadians weren't getting "a little too big for their britches."

There's been a spate of Canada-bashing by right-wing media commentators in the United States ever since Prime Minister Paul Martin's complaints about lumber penalties and U.S. policy on climate change. His remarks prompted an unusual rebuke last week from the American ambassador.

The attacks on Canada have had web bloggers typing overtime and a non-profit group that's monitoring the trend, Media Matters for America, says it's disturbing.

Yet Paul Waldman, a senior fellow for the group, said Monday the criticism is confined to the usual faction that erupts whenever there's criticism of President George W. Bush's administration and it probably won't last past Canada's Jan. 23 election.

"There are always going to be occasions when it pops up. But Canada is never going to occupy an extraordinary amount of American thought," said Waldman.

"It's more like: `Who can we beat on today?' It's never going to reach the heights of animosity toward France in the run-up to the Iraq war."

Last week, MSNBC host Tucker Carlson, a well-known conservative pundit, let loose with a string of anti-Canada rants.

"Anybody with any ambition at all, or intelligence, has left Canada and is now living in New York," he said.

"Canada is a sweet country. It is like your retarded cousin you see at Thanksgiving and sort of pat him on the head. You know, he's nice but you don't take him seriously. That's Canada."

Carlson also said it's pointless to tell Canada to stop criticizing the United States.

"It only eggs them on. Canada is essentially a stalker, stalking the United States, right? Canada has little pictures of us in its bedroom, right?"

"It's unrequited love between Canada and the United States. We, meanwhile, don't even know Canada's name. We pay no attention at all," he said.

The day before, Fox News host Neil Cavuto highlighted Martin's remark at a news conference that the United States is a "reticent nation" lacking a "global conscience" on climate change.

"So have the Canadians gotten a little too big for their britches?" Cavuto asked.

"Could our neighbours to the north soon be our enemies?"

Douglas MacKinnon, a press secretary to former Republican senator Bob Dole, also recently accused Canada of harbouring terrorists.

"Can Canada really be considered our friend anymore?" he asked in a recent commentary in the right-wing Washington Times newspaper.

"What other question can be asked when the Canadian government not only willingly allows Islamic terrorists into their country but does nothing to stop them from entering our nation?"

U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins warned Martin last week to tone down anti-American jabs or risk hurting bilateral relations. But Martin was unrepentant, saying he would "not be dictated to" by the United States and his hard line appears to be resonating with some voters.

While the offensive from American pundits isn't widespread, it still has the potential to affect cross-border ties, said Waldman.

"On Capitol Hill, the TVs are turned to Fox News. This kind of media environment is what the White House pays attention to," he said.

"That hostility is probably shared by a lot of people in the administration."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories Edited by Cremazie

Do we even feel Democrats will really come back into power?

As much as I have a few problems with the Republicans and MAJOR problems with the Democrats it's the balance between the two that makes our nation so strong and dare I say powerful.

If the Republicans had too much power we'd all be begging for tax money for schools, more jobs and religion would start to creep in too much. On the other hand if the Democrats had it their way we'd all be bending over backwards to feed starving crack whores and help them overcome their addiction, making the country bankrupt in the process while Cars would be mandated to 1.9 liters max and trucks to 3.9 liters max. while families in poverty would be issued a lifetime of beer money (uh, I meant food stamps) and they would be given a government issue Toyota Echo for free.

I'm neither but as a Libertarian I lean to the right. Although this current administration has no concept of right vs. left to be honest. Politics sucks. Edited by Sixty8panther

As much as I have a few problems with the Republicans and MAJOR problems with the Democrats it's the balance between the two that makes our nation so strong and dare I say powerful.

[post="61260"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's absolutely laughable since there is almost NO difference between the two parties. Congratulations, you've bought into the great American myth.

I think it's hilarious how many Americans confuse Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee with Yin and Yang. :lol:

Canadians and Americans are more alike than either will admit. Our governments will always try and make political hay out of our differences - that is the nature of politics. There are so many Americans in Canada and vice versa. We are irrevocably linked by culture, language and business. It is interesting to note that Canadian politics is always dominated by Quebec, while American politics is always dominated by the South. We haven't had a non-Quebecois Prime Minister in decades (unless you count the short lived Turner, or even shorter lived Kim Campbell - neither of whom were elected to head the country), just as American Presidents always seem to be from the South.

Do we even feel Democrats will really come back into power? I don't mean to turn this into a political thread, just a simple question with a simple answer. Nothing against either side, it's not about sides, I just want to know if, in general, people feel they might come back into power, and what the reasons are for it. Have Bush's policies really affected that many people? I just don't see how his policies really would taint the Republican party in general. Not to say they haven't, I don't really know.....so can someone educate me?

I think there's alot of people like me that are in total disgust with the current administration......and I'm NOT a democrat by definition.

I'm a republican....but a moderate. I'm fiscally-conservative and socially-moderate.

The problem today IMHO is that there is too much momentum from the far-right conservatives and I think that has ticked off Democrats AND a good number of republicans in this country.

Bush SQUEAKED by in the last election....and it wasn't just Democrats that fought him....it was alot of republicans like myself, my parents, etc., that fought against him as well.

I think in the next election, 2008, you'll see a Democrat (obviously) battle it out with a more moderate Republican.

Current polls are leaning towards Hillary versus Rudy Guilliani. McCain has a shot, but many people think he won't get the republican nomination.

Its funny some of you mention a Canadian accent.
I find its Americans with the strange accents.

Some Canadian: Hey dude, lets go get some coffee at Tims, eh?
Some American: Huuuh? What Ya'll sayin' now?
Some Canadian: Er, you know, Tim Hortons?
Some American: Dang, h'wats that ya'll?
Some Canadian: Um, a place, with like good coffee eh!
Some American: Uuuuh Huuh.

:P

When I travel from Southern Ontario to Upstate New York, and Detroit, it seems as though the grass is nice and green, birds are singing, everything is clean...then I cross the border into the US, and its all yellow, smoggy, and borded up houses. I dunno. Ill stay on this side of the border. ^_^
:CanadaEmoticon:

[post="61228"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's WHY you have to travel far past upstate NY and Detroit!

Have you ever been to Florida? Atlanta? Charlotte? Austin or San Antonio, Texas? How about the Tennessee hills and Appalachian Mountains? How about Chicago or Minneapolis?

Ever been to Denver and the Colorado Rockies? Salt Lake City? Phoenix and Tucson in the desert southwest? EVER been to Seattle? Seattle is absolutely just as beautiful as Vancouver. Then go down the 5 fwy to Portland, OR.

That's not to mention San Francisco and the Bay Area, L.A./Orange County and southern California, and San Diego which is one of my absolutely favorite cities in the entire USA.

You'll see a HUGE diversity of geography, cities, and cultures throughout the United States that unfortunately is not very well represented by border crossings in Michigan and New York State.

It's almost like the US decided to put Detroit and Buffalo there to keep the Canadians from wanting to come across... :) Seriously, the three places in the US that I will be happy to never visit again: Detroit, Buffalo, LA. On the other hand, I have travelled a lot in the US, and there were definately places I liked. I'd love to go back to: Boston, Cape Cod, Key West, St. Louis, Arizona in general, the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle. I don't hate Americans by any means. In many ways we are extremely similar. However, I think if I were to move to the US it would have to be to California, which seems like one of the few states which is liberal enough in politics and everyday life for me. What really gets me about the US, specifically the government, is when they decide to fight wars that aren't necessary, like they're the world police. That is what the UN is for - leave that job to them.

I think there's alot of people like me that are in total disgust with the current administration......and I'm NOT a democrat by definition.

I'm a republican....but a moderate.  I'm fiscally-conservative and socially-moderate.

The problem today IMHO is that there is too much momentum from the far-right conservatives and I think that has ticked off Democrats AND a good number of republicans in this country.

Bush SQUEAKED by in the last election....and it wasn't just Democrats that fought him....it was alot of republicans like myself, my parents, etc., that fought against him as well.

I think in the next election, 2008, you'll see a Democrat (obviously) battle it out with a more moderate Republican.

Current polls are leaning towards Hillary versus Rudy Guilliani.  McCain has a shot, but many people think he won't get the republican nomination.

[post="61306"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm glad we could share opinions from both sides without offending anyone or starting a major political battle. I think it's pretty clear this administration has pissed off a lot of people; it's going to be a time changing era where we look back on it in twenty years, no doubt about that.

Bush did squeak by last time, but that was Bush. A more moderate with experience like McCain and Guliani will present a tough battle for Democrats. I don't know about Hilary's prospects in this country, nor do I want to turn this into a mud-slinging contest, and this is very off-topic now, but how do we feel for her chances of winning. Certainly her chances are only strengthened by the bad taste this administration continues to leave, but McCain and Guliani each are tough competitors and not to be underestimated. Do we really feel America is ready for women. I think with so many people voting for Bush in the last election, it is clear to me a great part of this country still fears change.

Uhhhhh...San Diego was named after a saint.  Much of California has Spanish/Catholic names due to the original settlement by the Spanish.

[post="61557"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yes, I know, you will see how well I know in January :AH-HA_wink:

I'm glad we could share opinions from both sides without offending anyone or starting a major political battle. I think it's pretty clear this administration has pissed off a lot of people; it's going to be a time changing era where we look back on it in twenty years, no doubt about that.

Bush did squeak by last time, but that was Bush. A more moderate with experience like McCain and Guliani will present a tough battle for Democrats. I don't know about Hilary's prospects in this country, nor do I want to turn this into a mud-slinging contest, and this is very off-topic now, but how do we feel for her chances of winning. Certainly her chances are only strengthened by the bad taste this administration continues to leave, but McCain and Guliani each are tough competitors and not to be underestimated. Do we really feel America is ready for women. I think with so many people voting for Bush in the last election, it is clear to me a great part of this country still fears change.

[post="61559"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Most Dems don't want Hilary. The D-Ticket will be some combination of Warner, Robertson, and Bayh.

Uhhhhh...San Diego was named after a saint.  Much of California has Spanish/Catholic names due to the original settlement by the Spanish.

[post="61557"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

*cough*

Ron Burgundy: Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Veronica Corningstone: No, there's no way that's correct.

Ron Burgundy: I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

Veronica Corningstone: Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?

Ron Burgundy: No. No.

Veronica Corningstone: No, that's - that's what it means. Really.

Ron Burgundy: Agree to disagree.

Edited by CD/BP

Chris, if you want to throw down fisticuffs, fine. I've got Jack Johnson and Tom O'Leary ready for ya. Right here.

[post="61577"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ron Burgundy: I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

(well...sort of)

(OK we should stop now. :lol: ) Edited by CD/BP

Most Dems don't want Hilary.  The D-Ticket will be some combination of Warner, Robertson, and Bayh.

[post="61562"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not according to the democratic polls. EVERYTHING I've read, and I've tried to REALLY keep up to speed on this, shows Hillary as an extremely dominent front-runner for the democratic nomination. No other democrat is even close......(that is IF she decides to run.)

Not according to the democratic polls.  EVERYTHING I've read, and I've tried to REALLY keep up to speed on this, shows Hillary as an extremely dominent front-runner for the democratic nomination.  No other democrat is even close......(that is IF she decides to run.)

[post="61595"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No. Not in a million years. The D's aren't stupid. They know they need a moderate candidate to win. What with the big win in VA, Warner is now a big frontrunner. You gotta remember...it isn't just democratic strongholds that need to be appealed to--they will always vote D and obviously they aren't enough to win an election--it is the vast wasteland of borderline retarded, culturally ignorant, Wallyworld-shopping, blue light special-loving, orthodontically-impaired and "fashion f*cking DON'T"-wearing "middle Americans" who make up the moderate masses of so-called "swing voters" who defy all logic in their voting patterns that must be appeased. Unless they get caught up in a massive wave of bra-burning activism (like in the 70s) or Bible-humping evangelism (like recently), this group does not stray to far from centrist political thought. Right now the D's realize that their best bet is on a moderate Democrat like the three I mentioned who might know the right hot-button soundbytes to say and, most importantly, the right shiny objects to wave in order to attract the attention (and sympathy) from this vast wasteland of America.

Current polls are leaning towards Hillary versus Rudy Guilliani.  McCain has a shot, but many people think he won't get the republican nomination.

[post="61306"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Giuliani is pro-choice and liberal on most social issues and would never win the Republican primaries, except for perhaps in the Northeast.

McCain is almost as conservative as Bush, but doesn't talk like a hick and likes the media, which is why many view him as a moderate.

You are right that Hillary is leading the Democratic polls.

it is the vast wasteland of borderline retarded, culturally ignorant, Wallyworld-shopping, blue light special-loving, orthodontically-impaired and "fashion f*cking DON'T"-wearing "middle Americans" who make up the moderate masses of so-called "swing voters" who defy all logic in their voting patterns that must be appeased.  Right now the D's realize that their best bet is on a moderate Democrat like the three I mentioned

[post="61605"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You are correct that the Democrats can only win with a moderate like Warner, but your views towards middle America are alarming.