2006 NAIAS: Saturn VUE Green Line

For release: Jan 8, 2006 at 12:01 AM EST

Posted Image

SATURN VUE GREEN LINE HYBRID DELIVERS GREAT FUEL ECONOMY THROUGH NEW, LOWER-COST HYBRID SYSTEM

DETROIT – Saturn unveiled the production version of the 2007 Vue Green Line Hybrid, the first GM vehicle powered by a new, more affordable hybrid system. The Vue Green Line delivers an estimated 20-percent improvement in fuel economy, depending on driving conditions. It is expected to deliver an EPA estimated 27 mpg in the city and the best highway mileage of any SUV at 32 mpg. The Vue's hybrid system will cost under $2,000. The full vehicle price will start at less than $23,000.

“The Vue Green Line is expected to be the lowest-cost hybrid-powered SUV in the market,” said Mark LaNeve, GM North America vice president of Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. “Its lower price allows us to offer the fuel-saving benefits of hybrids to a wider group of customers.”

The Vue Green Line uses sophisticated controls and a unique electric motor/generator mated to a 2.4L VVT four-cylinder engine and 4T45-E four-speed transmission. It is a simple and flexible hybrid design that provides additional power from the motor/generator during acceleration and allows increased fuel economy through engine shut-off at idle, fuel cut-off during deceleration and the capability to capture electrical energy through regenerative braking.

The Vue Green Line will be available in the summer of 2006. It is based on the popular Vue SUV, which was restyled for 2006 with distinctive exterior appointments and a more refined interior.

“As Saturn continues an aggressive product lineup expansion, a hybrid version of the popular Vue is a natural addition,” said Saturn General Manager Jill Lajdziak. “The Vue Green Line st rengthens our position as an environmentally aware brand that provides great value – an attribute that has always appealed to Saturn customers.”

Along with the Vue Green Line, Saturn will introduce the Sky roadster, Aura midsize sedan and Outlook crossover utility vehicle during 2006.

Fuel-saving performance

Vue Green Line’s innovative 2.4-liter hybrid powertrain is rated at 170 horsepower (127 kw), a powerful increase from the 143 hp provided by the 2.2-liter engine in the conventional four-cylinder Vue. This maintains the vehicle’s sporty feel, with acceleration better or equal to many non-hybrid SUVs.

The Vue’s hybrid system reduces fuel consumption by:

* Shutting off the engine when the vehicle is stopped, to minimize idling

* Restarting the engine promptly when the brake pedal is released

* Enabling early fuel shut-off during vehicle deceleration

* Capturing vehicle kinetic energy during deceleration (regenerative braking) to charge an advanced nickel metal hydride battery

* Performing intelligent battery charging when it is most efficient

Additionally, the system provides additional power from the electric motor/generator during launch, when required. At wide-open throttle, such as during a passing maneuver, the system improves acceleration feel by using the motor/generator to bolster the gasoline engine to achieve maximum power.

The new hybrid system also is designed to automatically maintain full accessory functionality, including climate control, when the vehicle is stopped, so that hybrid operation is transparent to the driver and passengers. The Vue Hybrid allows an appropriate balance between fuel economy and comfort by providing a system with two driver-selectable operating modes. An economy mode favors fuel economy by limiting the affect of air conditioning, while the other mode favors maximum passenger comfort and defogging performance.

Three hybrid systems

The Vue Green Line is one of 12 hybrids GM will launch, providing customers with several levels of fuel economy savings at different price points on vehicles ranging from cars to full-size SUVs.

GM launched the world’s first hybrid pickup trucks in 2004, with retail availability expanding nationwide with the 2006 model year. GM also will introduce an all-new, two-mode hybrid system that is uniquely compact and scalable to vehicles of all sizes. This new system will debut in GM’s new, full-size Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon SUVs in 2007.

Saturn VUE Green Line from MPH-Online

Any more specifications? AWD availability? A VUE FWD 2.2 costs $19,345, add $2000 and that should be $21,345. Maybe it comes with more equipment. Still, $2000 is quite a lot of money for a 5 MPG improvement, and the VUE FWD V6 costs $21,990, produces 250 horsepower, and gets 20/28 MPG, which isn't bad either.

From GM Media:

SATURN VUE GREEN LINE USES NEW, LESS COMPLEX HYBRID SYSTEM

DETROIT – The 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid features a unique electric motor/generator mated to a 2.4L VVT four-cylinder engine and 4T45-E four-speed transmission powertrain to deliver increased fuel economy over non-hybrid models. It is a less complex, lower-cost hybrid system than competitors’ systems.

The Vue Green Line’s hybrid system enables increased fuel economy through engine shut-off at idle, fuel cut-off during deceleration, electric motor/generator assist during acceleration and the capability to capture electrical energy through regenerative braking. The Vue Green Line is expected to deliver an EPA estimated 27 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway.

Six elements comprise the hybrid system:

* A precision electric motor/generator unit that replaces alternator, and is capable of 115 lb.-ft. (156 Nm) of auto-start torque

* Engine-coolant cooled power electronics that control the motor/generator unit and provide 12-volt vehicle accessory power

* An advanced NiMH hybrid battery pack capable of delivering and receiving more than 10 kW of peak power – the battery pack is located beneath the cargo floor between the rear wheels, maintaining full vehicle utility

* An engine control module that includes sophisticated Hybrid Supervisory software to manage both the hybrid system and the gasoline engine

* An engine accessory drive with new, dual-tensioner assembly and durable aramid cord belt that enables transfer of “motoring” and “generating” torque (see below)

* Hybrid-enabled Hydra-Matic 4T45-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic transaxle that includes an auxiliary oil pump and unique hybrid controls.

The driving situation determines whether the vehicle operates in either motoring or generating mode. In motoring mode, the hybrid system is used to quickly restart the gasoline engine upon brake pedal release and provide momentary acceleration assistance as needed. To perform these functions, the NiMH battery pack converts its stored chemical energy into direct current (DC) electrical energy. The system’s electronics then convert the DC power to three-phase alternating current (AC) energy to run the motor/generator unit as an electric motor. The vehicle’s 12-volt accessory power also is generated in this mode.

In the generating mode, the hybrid system is used to provide both 12-volt accessory power and power to charge the battery pack. To perform these functions, the engine is used to power the motor/generator unit, which then provides a three-phase electrical output. In this mode, the energy required to drive the engine may come from either gasoline when accelerating, or the kinetic energy of the moving vehicle when decelerating with the fuel cut off. The three-phase AC electrical output of the motor/generator is then converted to DC energy to efficiently charge the hybrid battery pack and vehicle accessory battery.

A Green Line-specific instrument cluster with a new “charge/assist” readout indicates when the vehicle is in the battery charging or electrical assist modes, and a tachometer that has “AUTO STOP” and “OFF” readouts. AUTO STOP indicates when the engine shuts off and OFF indicates when the key is either turned off or removed from the ignition. Also, an “ECO” indicator illuminates whenever instant fuel economy exceeds the EPA-average fuel economy ratings.

I'm more  impressed with the Vue. I think as Hybrids go the Start/Stop function is all thats needed.

I kind of agree but not totally. I think a reserve power source is important BUT not on all vehicles. Toyota puts their complex system on everything. I like how GM is not being suckered into the "one hybrid for all" scam. Sure, I think GM's big hybrid coming up is going to be very important, but simple vehicle systems like this will be just as important.

Good job GM!!!

I agree with Ocn. There's a huge market out there that wants a hybrid SUV that's bigger than the Escape and costs less than the Highlander and the Vue delivers even though it's not as sophisticated (which is a good and bad thing). If I was in the market it would be at the top of my list. Add in the new exterior and refined interior, and I can think of one word: hit.

Guest YellowJacket894

GM is coming back with a vengence, to say the least. They've got, in my opinion, a product that will find many buyers. It's got a great price, great size, and puts the Escape hybrid and the Highlander to shame. Makes me think the next Green Line VUE will be a smash hit right out of the ballpark. It's a soild, great product now. And it's bound to better the next time around.

Toyota's going to get backed into a corner shortly and GM will deliver the ass kickin'.

Any more specifications? AWD availability? A VUE FWD 2.2 costs $19,345, add $2000 and that should be $21,345. Maybe it comes with more equipment. Still, $2000 is quite a lot of money for a 5 MPG improvement, and the VUE FWD V6 costs $21,990, produces 250 horsepower, and gets 20/28 MPG, which isn't bad either.

But the automatic is included. Where its an option on the 2.2L.

Looks promising. And then Maybe they'll drop the 2.2L next year and have a normal and hybrid 2.4L. The 2.2L is way too small for a Vue.

I preferred the previous one's appearance.

Sigh, I guess I'll just have to wait until the Opel-style one arrives :P .

Who said the Red Line didn't work out?

If it was a Toyota you'd be praising it.

Um no... I've never liked this thing, and we all know the Red Line project went to hell for Saturn, I said it in sarcasm, that it's funny, if the red doesn't work out, let's try green... anyways, at the same time you're contradicting yourself, because you obviously love the new Buick crossover, which has allot of Lexus RX330 cues.

How am I contradicting myself? I never said anything about the RX330 being bad.

If it does share cues with the RX, it sure uses them a hell of a lot better:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is probably the only time a Buick has thoroughly kicked a Lexus' ass.

Personally, I don't see too many similarities. The Enclave makes the RX look like a piece of crap.

Um no... I've never liked this thing, and we all know the Red Line project went to hell for Saturn, I said it in sarcasm, that it's funny, if the red doesn't work out, let's try green... anyways, at the same time you're contradicting yourself, because you obviously love the new Buick crossover, which has allot of Lexus RX330 cues.

Posted Image

GM is coming back with a vengence, to say the least. They've got, in my opinion, a product that will find many buyers. It's got a great price, great size, and puts the Escape hybrid and the Highlander to shame. Makes me think the next Green Line VUE will be a smash hit right out of the ballpark. It's a soild, great product now. And it's bound to better the next time around.

Toyota's going to get backed into a corner shortly and GM will deliver the ass kickin'.

Too bad the basic VUE is such a piece of crap.....Escape and Highlander don't have anything to worry about.

Seriously.....even with the new interior, this vehicle has the worst fit-and-finish and interior quality in the segment.....

Not to mention the HUGE panel gaps on VUE....which look even worse on this vehicle than most mainstream Saturns....

Seriously.....even with the new interior, this vehicle has the worst fit-and-finish and interior quality in the segment.....

There are a couple of posters on saturnfans.com who own both esacape and VUE vehicles. They seem to be of one mind that the VUE is much quieter and more comfortable than is the Escape. No one single complaint about body panel gaps. Some do defend their choice of the escape.

There are a couple of posters on saturnfans.com who own both esacape and VUE vehicles.  They seem to be of one mind that the VUE is much quieter and more comfortable than is the Escape.  No one single complaint about body panel gaps. Some do defend their choice of the escape.

I like the Honda V6 and actually like the LOOKS of the VUE.....but in all the ones I've seen, the B-pillar panel gap....between the glass....is SO wide, you can easily see the understructure that's inside the door pillar......

Also, the inside is really tacky....the center console (where the shifter is) totally is loose and you can move it back and forth with your hand. Additionally, the trim piece that surrounds the gauge cluster is so loose it's come off in my hands in three separate ones I was in at auto shows (and no, I didn't abuse it...or try to damage it...) It just snaps off....and snaps back on.....but that makes it appear really cheap.

The Escape, on the other hand, is awash in hard plastics....but everything seems to fit much tighter and more solid....making the Escape interior seem much higher-quality....even if the plastics and materials aren't really any better than the VUE's.

How am I contradicting myself? I never said anything about the RX330 being bad.

If it does share cues with the RX, it sure uses them a hell of a lot better:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is probably the only time a Buick has thoroughly kicked a Lexus' ass.

Personally, I don't see too many similarities. The Enclave makes the RX look like a piece of crap.

um... they are very much alike, right down to the grill shape, and even the location of the fog lights. But, w/e I wonder if Hyundai did this, if you'd like the design as much?

Too bad the basic VUE is such a piece of crap.....Escape and Highlander don't have anything to worry about.

Not to mention the HUGE panel gaps on VUE....which look even worse on this vehicle than most mainstream Saturns....

After setting in a Vue redline at the autoshow I thought they were quit nice. Nicer than the Escape anyway.

The Green Line Vue looks like it would save on average of $300 per year in gas assuming being drivin 15000 miles a year. If less than $2k extra in price it take 5-6 years at 15k miles per year to break even. But you are helping the enviroment.