Sigh my mother *rant*

Too understand my mother is to know this:

She is easily swayed off one persons opinion and once she hears the first one thats the one she adopts.

Car shopping in this point:

My sister is an import loving snob and has a Nissan Altima. Because of this she has put the idea in my mothers head that all American cars are junk. Yet every domestic we have ever owned has never left us on the side of the road at all. My sister cannot say the same for her previous Mitsubishi or her wonderful Nissan which has stranded her twice.

Because my mother now has heard "get a Nissan" thats all she wants to look at. My father has been taking her car shopping and he himself has looked at Buicks, Pontiacs, Nissan, Toyota, and Caddillac.

My father is like me, being with our good track record with GM he wants to buy GM. However due to the lemming mindset my mother has, she only wants to look at the Nissan, she asked me questions today about trim levels and etc and she knows absolutley NOTHING about Nissan. All she knows is that shes been told to get one and that she "Has" to have a nissan.

There is a beautiful Caddillac CTS with the V6 at the local Caddy Dealer. Leather, onstar, etc. She wont even test drive it. I have and its a wonderful car. This is basically the same car 3 years ago she wanted but dad wouldnt buy because her Impala was only a year old. Now that she has Nissan on the mind thats all she wants.

Shes already dismissed the Luceren because she says it looks too much like my Grandmothers Le Sabre and she hates my dads mom :rolleyes:

She wont even test drive any other car nor even look athe power, fuel mileage or anything else. All she wants is the Nissan. If I had a box with a wheel and Nissan on it she would love it. She knows nothing about cars, reliabiltiy reports and etc.

I've tried my best to get her to by something GM but with her mindset it looks like its no use. How do you reason with an unreasonable person. Its because of mindless tards like my mother and sister is why I can see GM and Ford are having problems now.

How do you fight with this stupid notion that Japanese cars are invincible when its been falsely ground into the mindset of many for so long?

Hell the Caddy has all the options she wants and it rides better to boot and is quieter. She wont even listen. She wont even look at other cars for heavens sake. How do you fight that kinda one minded idiocy?

The Buick has all the options she wants too but she wont look. Matter of fact I dont think she even looked at the Buick catalog, just threw it away and said Nissan nissan nissan.

Sorry for the rant, it just bothers me that people are like this and wont give the domestics a fair shake. I even tried to get her to look at a few lincolns, mercs, and the Chrysler 300 but she wont even acknowledge them either. :o

What gets me is this too. Its will be my fathers car as well and HE is the one paying for it lol.

Edited by Brandon Lutz

"Mom! Shouldn't you even comparison shop just so you know you're getting the best deal? Even if you don't like the car, at least then you know."

Then while she and the salesman aren't watching, replace all the Buick badges with Nissan ones. Switch them back after the deal is done.

Well, what Nissan is she thinking of getting? From the cars you tried to convince her of, it sounds like she's in the market for a upscale mdsized to large car (Altima and Maxima).

The Altima's not a bad car. It has a good engine and performance but it's not honestly what I'd call a class-leader and a new one is due to be revealed in April. The Maxima is due for a (to some people, sorely needed) interior overhaul and a exterior refreshing (complete with a grille tooth removal). If your mom's dead set on a Nissan, I'd at least advise her to wait until seeing the new Altima and refreshed Maxima to make a decision to avoid having regrets about having "last year's model".

If your mother's intent on buying a Nissan, I honestly don't see how you can do more than what you've already done. It'd be nice if she'd consider other cars but (and don't take this the wrong way) it's not your money being spent. If she'd be happy with her choice, I'd let her choose and be happy for her.

Edited by VarianceJ30

The Maxima is due for a (to some people, sorely needed) interior overhaul...

What? I love the Maxima's interior... best one in any Nissan if you ask me.

As for his mother... IDK, Nissan's not all that bad, but I would wait, like Variance said. If it was Toyota... then you start slapping her silly. :P

She wants a Maxima. Her current car is an 01 Impala thats been a phenomal car for her. However she "hates" chevy now for whatever reason. She wont tell why, but I think it has something to do with my sister saying "Get rid of your piece of crap car"

See thats the problem the general and domestics face, you have people like this who influence others in such ways. I think the solution is to duct tape my sisters mouth shut and cut off her phone service lol.

But anyway she doesnt want to comparison shop she has this tunnel vision thing. Really wish shed consider the CTS cause well, it would be nice to have a Caddy in the Lutz family lineup :P Or a 300 C would be nice as well.

Edited by Brandon Lutz

Looks like Nissan is going to win the battle. My father took her to a Caddy dealer and the local Chrysler/Dodge dealer as well. Both times he tried to get her to test drive a fully loaded CTS or a loaded 300C.

Both times she said "No I dont want to drive them, I want a Nissan and a Nissan is better"

She hasnt driven the Nissan either BTW lol, nor sat in one as well. Hows that for blindly following what somone tells you? lol

Edited by Brandon Lutz

Ask your mom and your sister to do an oil change. Once they admit to you they can't do it, and then you show them you can, ask them a very simple question.

Who knows more on cars? Who knows more about the engineering and mechanical components of a car? Yes mother and sis, it's me and Dad.

Then ask your mom. Mom, who would you rather be influenced by when buying a car, li'l sis over here who's had breakdowns after chosing her cars, or me and Dad who's had trouble free motoring for the past x amount of years?

Besides, if Dad's paying for the car, he should be the one presenting your mom with options. That's how its done in our family. My dad has up to date models all lined up on a piece of paper and explains positives and negatives of each vehicle and then hops in for a test drive of each with my mom. Then my mom setles on what she likes best.

Me personaly being in your position, I'd ask mom if she thinks I'll help her when something goes wrong with the car Dad and I told her never to get. (if you want to get on the heavier side of things).... if she doesnt need help finding a car that works for her, then she wont be needing help if it breaks either right? Does she trust your jugement in other situations? shje should trust your jugement in this situation just like the others...

Tell your sister and mother to start showing a bit of pride for our country and support our own. And for gods sakes quit reaing Consumer Reports!!!!

I heard a guy calling in to a radio show last week. He said he drives a Chevy now but his next car "isn't going to be an American one". No problems with the Chevy, but he wants a car that "doesn't lose 50% of it's value as soon as you drive it off the lot" (>>bmw 7-series 3-yr residual: 43%<<). And he "wants something reliable".

You're right BL: you cannot reason with these mindsets. This guy had no problems with the car he has, but he is going to go ahead and rule out 150 or so vehicles merely based on what countries their parent corporations are based in (USA). All of their vehicles... ALL OF THEM... are no good anymore tho they obviously appealed to him to buy previously... because. It's flat nuts.

I agree with Flybrian: my grandmother's sentra is so mindnumbing awful, even my son said 'yuck- the buzzy car' when he was 6. Get mom in a sentra- the new ones can't be much better than those from a few years ago- tin can POS.

Fly's got a great idea there...

And I like my 1984 Maxima's interior just fine thanks. :ph34r:

Posted Image

Balthazar:

why? beacuse for some reason we as a country are a bunch of self hating anti-american retards.

If our founding fathers were alive today they'd kick all of our underserving asses. :angry:

BTW: LOL at you son's comment. So true.

Edited by Sixty8panther

lol Nissian i was watching Fox 2 news and they said that Nissian has had the worst quailty cars of 2005.

They even admitted to having poor quaility and the Nissian chairman refused to talk.

I heard a guy calling in to a radio show last week. He said he drives a Chevy now but his next car "isn't going to be an American one". No problems with the Chevy, but he wants a car that "doesn't lose 50% of it's value as soon as you drive it off the lot" (>>bmw 7-series 3-yr residual: 43%<<). And he "wants something reliable".

You're right BL: you cannot reason with these mindsets. This guy had no problems with the car he has, but he is going to go ahead and rule out 150 or so vehicles merely based on what countries their parent corporations are based in (USA). All of their vehicles... ALL OF THEM... are no good anymore tho they obviously appealed to him to buy previously... because. It's flat nuts.

I agree with Flybrian: my grandmother's sentra is so mindnumbing awful, even my son said 'yuck- the buzzy car' when he was 6. Get mom in a sentra- the new ones can't be much better than those from a few years ago- tin can POS.

Makes you wonder why people are so worried about resale...it's not like they are

in this car for profit or something... :rolleyes:

Quite a few people drive their cars until they stop running....

The difference between most cars are not much to make it worthwhile anyways...