Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The best Buick for $4000-6000

I have a friend looking for reliable wheels, and I want to ask a simple question-using JUST BUICK as a possible choice, what would be the best set of wheels for 4-6K?

Chris

How about a late model LeSabre..I see several clean '00 vintage LeSabres on eBay in that price range... I wouldn't consider anything too old. Mo' old, mo' problems.

e.g. this one: A blue interior in '00? Amazing..this car looks to be in great shape..

'00 Le Sabre

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Sounds like I might be suggesting a Regal to my friend!

Chris

...and the search idea is pure genius, Camino!

Chris

Tell your friend to go on the local craigslist under "cars and trucks" and do a search using "grandfather" or "grandmother" as the search term.

That's such a great tip, I just had to try it locally. Crappy stuff, but a few interesting ones!

The best thing you could buy in that price range is a W-Body Regal or Century. Slightly less solid would be the LeSabre

Why is the LeSabre less solid slightly?

Why is the LeSabre less solid slightly?

Just isn't the rock the W-bodies can be. The H-body Lesabres are pretty decent, but have some interior trim issues (airbag covers curling, small electrical gremlins).

The G-body LeSabres are nice and solid but can have wheel and suspension issues that sound a lot worse than they really are due to the smooth quiet ride. Often you can't just to a standard wheel balance on the G-bodies, you need to opt for the more expensive road force variance balance as well or you'll get wheel shudder. I've had direct experience with every G-body model except the Bonneville (stiffer suspension?) having this issue. Cheap tires will only make this situation frustratingly worse.

I recommend the Regal LS over the Century because the 3800 is the most reliable of the pushrod V6 bunch. The Regal GS with the supercharger would be good too as long as the owner is willing to remember to change the S/C oil at it's scheduled time.

Just isn't the rock the W-bodies can be. The H-body Lesabres are pretty decent, but have some interior trim issues (airbag covers curling, small electrical gremlins).

The G-body LeSabres are nice and solid but can have wheel and suspension issues that sound a lot worse than they really are due to the smooth quiet ride. Often you can't just to a standard wheel balance on the G-bodies, you need to opt for the more expensive road force variance balance as well or you'll get wheel shudder. I've had direct experience with every G-body model except the Bonneville (stiffer suspension?) having this issue. Cheap tires will only make this situation frustratingly worse.

I recommend the Regal LS over the Century because the 3800 is the most reliable of the pushrod V6 bunch. The Regal GS with the supercharger would be good too as long as the owner is willing to remember to change the S/C oil at it's scheduled time.

STill see quite a few og both floating around here...

Of course... I try this trick and end up with this.

http://wheeling.craigslist.org/cto/1491050761.html

:palm:

That's a really clean Vette. Get that Wheelin' feelin', drive it to Wheeling Downs, Oglebay Park, and Jamboree in the Hills in the summer...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar