Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

How many of us

Camino LS6

Camino...just glad to know that you are a "fellow traveller" in this regard!

Chris

For more modern stuff, I'm obviously into road racing, though...

cIMG_8618.jpg

Edited by 66Stang

Camino ~ >>"Have to part company with you on the MCs, Balthazar."<<

You kno what- I have to revise my earlier statement.

These cars just don't stick in my memory! After reading your post I looked at some pics & ads- the dual headlight '79, the quad HL '80, the 'streamlined' '81... blech. Well, the '81 mostly fixes the 'charicature' design of the -yes- awful '78-80, but all these ('78-8whatever) have lost that planted, brawny, broad-shouldered look of the '73 gen. Now that my memory is refreshed, I could own a '73 gen (greatly prefer the circular headlight look), but no way would I consider a '78-80.

Thanks for making me go look. :smilewide:

ocnblu ~ >>"If we met Balthy, would he be in black & white?"<<

That's not just an avatar- that's a pic of me. Yep; the color faded out of my parched, dried skin decades ago; I'm black & white all right! (grey... to be accurate).

>>"Is it right that I'm proud of myself?"<<

Right is right!

I have to make sure the vehicle in question is in my mind's eye- it's not like I don't have 25,000 pieces of car-related reference les than 10 feet from me....

I'm just glad to know we are on the same page on this.

What do you think of the first gens?

I think they are ok, but I actually prefer the Chevelles of the era. I did know of a '71 454SS MC that was near-perfect though...sweet car.

While I like the '69 GP, I prefer the look of the '72, it was "sharper", with more attitude in its details. I have fond memories of riding in the back of a '72 in orange/saddle half top over saddle buckets.

LOVE the GP of that ERa 'blu...but I am a Chevy man fist and foremost.

Man has to have his priorities right now...Can't go lettin' the Pontiac guys get all the credit now can we?

Chris

While I like the '69 GP, I prefer the look of the '72, it was "sharper", with more attitude in its details. I have fond memories of riding in the back of a '72 in orange/saddle half top over saddle buckets.

+1. I prefer the '71/72 over the '69/70. I esp. like the rear end of the '71/72, w/ it's crisp decklid detailing. Along w/ the '71/72 Riviera, probably my favorite '70s GM asses...though the '70-73 Camaro and Firebird rears are quite fetching, as is the '71 LeSabre/Centurion.. :)

I'm a chevelle man myself, through and through...but SS454 Monte is just badass!

Chris

This one was just one of those cars that is so "right", if you know what I mean.

Best of the best.

It was in shadow grey (silver really) with a black interior, Corvette rallies, and every detail in perfect shape. It was on display for a while at the Gast "museum" in Lanacaster county.

I loved its sleeper nature.

They also had a 'loaded '59 El Camino that sat outside by the entrance, complete with a 348 tri-power.

It was worth the drive.

Edited by Camino LS6

No fair Camino...you know how I feel about 59 chevrolet's!

Seriously...helll yes on the Monte Carlo. to me it is even more right than the GP of the Era.

But agree with Cubitar on the Camaro ass end. 1971 is when the Camaro pulled ahead of the mustang IMHO...and it wasn't even close again until the mid 1980's.

Chris

Alas, the Gast Museum in Strasburg is now home to an Amish furniture store. :(

They also had a Tucker there. It was great to be so close to such a cool spot for old cars.

Robert, come on, give me a hug, you big stud.:AH-HA:

Z06...THAT's what I'm talkin about.

However, aside from a few car shows old Iron like that just isn't on the road very much around here any more.

I miss it!

Chris

Sorry my luck ran out with the camera. This is the last one I could grab. Could not get the other Impala and the Camaro.

1966 Impala SS with 327 4-speed.

Another one is also a 1966 Impala SS with an auto.

The Camaro is a 6-cyl 3 speed. The guys is asking about $10,000. Great shape possibly 65,000 original miles.

Add PCS and this thread will be full of old timers.

At 44 I'm one of the oldest guys here...my daughters church has a Cafe called the garden of Eatin. Anyways...one of the females at the church comes up to our table and starts talking bible things with my daughter...I'm thinkin this lady is sharp...and then she starts showing me pics of her grandkids.

Perhaps my next vintage musclecar can have a wheelchair lift...pretty sad when you need a wheelchair lift instead of lifting the front wheels at the dragstrip but...

Lots of us getting old.

chris

Sorry my luck ran out with the camera. This is the last one I could grab. Could not get the other Impala and the Camaro.

1966 Impala SS with 327 4-speed.

Another one is also a 1966 Impala SS with an auto.

The Camaro is a 6-cyl 3 speed. The guys is asking about $10,000. Great shape possibly 65,000 original miles.

Killer find!

Alas, the Gast Museum in Strasburg is now home to an Amish furniture store. :(

They also had a Tucker there. It was great to be so close to such a cool spot for old cars.

Strasburg, Pa, I assume.. Strasburg, Oh is near where I grew up, and right at the edge of Ohio's Amish country. Great roads and flea markets, old car shows around there...

Looks like a '65 to me, I remember my dad repairing and painting the convertible version for a guy when I was a kid. It was that oh-so-common pale yellow...

Car next to me was a pale yellow HT of the same color and year when I was a kid.

Red 65/66 like that sitting behind the bodyshop where my 71 chevelle was painted...

Pretty sure that's a 1965... I like both '65 and '66, but prefer the '66, with its slightly smoother front end and rectangular taillamps, opposed to the '65's triple rounds.

As you know my knowledge for vintages is small. He told me they were both '66.

TY. They are of the uncle of our honorable member from our Valley Forge Park meet. The Camaro belongs to his friend. Do you think based on the limited information it is worth that much?

The Camaro?

Maybe, they are bringing stupid money these days. But, a '68 six-banger (even with low miles) is only so desireable. If it is pristine, then yes.

I'd be more interested in the Impalas though.

Edited by Camino LS6

The Camnaro?

Maybe, they are bringing stupid money these days. But, a '68 six-banger (even with low miles) is only so desireable. If it is pristine, then yes.

I'd be more interested in the Impalas though.

Yeah I am interested in the impala. Especially the one pictured since it has a stick shift. I do not think he will part it unless some good dough is given.

After I (like a dummy) sold my beloved Corvair, I bought a '66 Impala convertible, 283/PG, fresh bright red paint, white top, red vinyl bench. I owned it for one summer. It was a bondo QUEEN, with the power mechanism missing from the top (it wasn't too hard to raise and lower it manually, though). I sold it to a guy who had the intention of restoring it. I asked him to keep in touch and send me photos of the project, but I never heard from him after he trailered it off the farm.

Edited by ocnblu

Come on Camino spill it...

And yes, I remember when these cars were ten and fifteen years old and as common in junkyards as fat chicks at Walmart.

Chris

OK, you asked for it.

Back in my misguided youth, I made the mistake (or it was made for me) of attending a Tech School for a year. Duh, I took auto shop. Anyway, they had what were known as "shop cars" for us to practice on. The were donated to the school (for a tax deduction, I guess).

One of them was a '65 Impala SS 327 in white, with a black top, and a pristine blue interior.

Long story short, that car was assembled/disassembled by a bunch of clueless teenagers more times than you could count. By the time I left in disgust, it was in pretty sorry condition. I assume it met the same fate as other worn-out "shop cars", flipped on its roof in the back corner of the parking lot until it got hauled away. A '72 Chevelle, '70ish Chrysler, and a '63 Impala met the same fate. I saw it happen to the '63 and the Chrysler.

Such a waste.

...and Camino that's the sad thing. I remember seeing clean 65 Imapala SS's being used as demo derby cars back in my youth.

And I'm talking cars we'd give our private parts for now.

Like you said, such a waste.

Chris

I got your (period) Pontiac right here :

kubiszak2.jpg

Outside of the late '70s Trans Am, this is my only favorite Pontiac of the late '70s era. It was, essentially, a GTO in concept and in spirit, just with a different name and gaudy orange graphics and the T/A's shaker scoop.

On topic, I've always admired the '50s Facel Vega HK:

Facel_Vega_HK500_1960__Rick_Feibusch_2009.jpg

It's a big, elegant, baroque French coupe with a Chrysler V8. Early European sex appeal, early American muscle. It's a win/win combination in my opinion.

Edited by whiteknight

It was in the bottom of the doors, fenders and quarters. The floors weren't bad, though, even the trunk floor, surprising for a ragtop. I never "opened it up" by knocking off the body filler. I ended up selling it for the same price I bought it, $2500.

Camino, isn't it a shame that so many of what were thought of as worthless old junkers now would be worth many thousands of dollars as historical pieces of automotive art?

Edited by ocnblu

Camino, isn't it a shame that so many of what were thought of as worthless old junkers now would be worth many thousands of dollars as historical pieces of automotive art?

Too true.

I really wanted to save that car, it was pretty clean and straight overall. It had its original 327 (with the Gold displacement stickers on the unique, sqared-off valve covers), a good top, and that perfect interior.

It needed tires, a new exhaust, maybe some engine work, and a fresh coat of white.

Until it spent a year with "the boys".

Could still have been saved, but I'm sure it wasn't.

Wasn't even rusty.

Didn't feel so bad for the other cars, they were pretty clapped-out. Except for the Chevelle - it was a low-mile original 4-door that got "damaged" in a flood. Ran great.

Watching my idiot classmates maul these cars was too much for me so I bolted back to my regular high school.