Help me... Help a good friend... 1st Update!

gm4life

The Story:

A good friend of mine that I have gotten to know over the past six years is car shopping and in need a of a midsize sedan. He has done some "window" shopping and currently has considered a Altima, Accord, Camry, and Malibu. He says the Camry is the front runner and certainly I hope to change that. This friend has no loyalty to any brand his past two cars have been Accord EX-L's and would prefer something different. He has not driven any of them yet and has an open mind but has been reading consumer reports... Not good... This person trusts me and am going to need ever bit of fire power to sway him away from a Camry and hopefully to a Malibu.

Any idea's to help me prove or show what a great car the Malibu is? Or sales points in general? (Besides articles and other ratings like that...)

This will be used as a private drivers ed car as he teaches drivers ed.

Edited by gm4life

The Fusion is a great car, I'd even consider one for myself. Drives real nice in the bends as I took it on a 500km trip on a twisty coastal road in Nova Scotia. The 3.5 is a great engine but compared to the 3.0 even though more power is there the fuel economy hit is prohibitive. If I were in the market for a midsize car right now I would only be considering an SEL V6 Fusion or an LT2 V6 Malibu. Check out the interior materials in the Fusion. I'd say the build quality between Fusion and Malibu is equal but the Fusion definitely eeks it out on materials quality. Also the shape and size of the trunk is more usable. Overall the Malibu has more interior space though.

2010-ford-fusion-sport-image.jpg

2009-Chevrolet-Malibu-LTZ-03.jpg

Styling is subjective but I prefer the more conventional C-Pillar back styling of the Fusion.

The manumatic mode on the Fusion uses the gear shift while the one on the Malibu uses paddles so the preference is subjective. I'm not a big fan of the paddles. Malibu's interior is better looking. The Fusion utilizes nicer leather by a wide margin than the Malibu (feels much more soft and supple than the Malibu).

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Don't forget that this car is going to be used for drivers ed.

Exactly, that is why interior materials aren't a huge deal. This car will be beaten and I know a Malibu will take it, as for the new Camry, not so much. I will make sure he looks at a Fusion but I am thinking he would prefer the Chevy. Anyways any other tips or pointers or good ways to push the Malibu?

Edited by gm4life

The Fusion also has the handbrake in the center console and not the driver's footwell, which is is important if he has to make an emergency stop for the kid. I know they modify the cars to put the brake pedal on the passenger side as well as teh driver's side, but in MA it's required that the e-brake be accessible by the road test instructor.

The Fusion also has the handbrake in the center console and not the driver's footwell, which is is important if he has to make an emergency stop for the kid. I know they modify the cars to put the brake pedal on the passenger side as well as teh driver's side, but in MA it's required that the e-brake be accessible by the road test instructor.

Oh good point, but he has had GM cars before for drivers ed and foot pedal E-Brake was never a problem.

We didn't get a chance to drive one yet... But after some articles from C&D, MT, Automobile and other sources he has pretty much narrowed it down to a Malibu or maybe another Accord. Right now a Malibu 1LT in Taupe Gray Metallic or Mocha Steel with the body side molding, spare tire and convenience package (Bluetooth, Remote Start, and power driver seat) is what he is leaning towards. He got a great quote on a lease from my small town dealer, lower than an Accord and slightly more than a Camry that I simply talked him right out of. (The recall no-doubt helped.) We talked about a Fusion and refused, because he had very bad luck with one Ford product years and years ago. He prefers the new Malibu's looks over the current Accord as well... It is looking like a new Malibu 1LT will be in his driveway within a month or so, and the 2007 Accord will be returned back to Honda.

He also brought up he plans on replacing his 2006 Ridgeline and asked for a suggestion, and I told him Silverado or Avalanche. Then he asked me if he could get a Silverado Extended/Crew or Avalance for the same price as a Ridgeline and I asked him how much is the Honda? He replied 35K. I said you can have a new extended cab Silverado LTZ 4X4 for less after the current rebates. Then he asked me about fuel economy and I replied 15/21 and told me his Ridgeline was rated at 15/20 under the new EPA ratings... Then I... :smilewide:

The looks on his face was priceless, and I am sure he was wondering how BOF V8 powered half ton truck could get better fuel economy than a unibody CUV based V6 powered Ridgeline... :breakdance: I have no doubt we will get into this more later this year.

Moral of the story this person might just be back to an all GM house again, to go along with his mint low miles 2001 Olds Aurora, and nothing could make me happier.

Edited by gm4life

I love it when people base opinions on past cars, and ignore how the Fusion and Ford in general has been getting excellent reliability ratings as of late.

I hate it when friends act like they're a car (or furniture, or appliance, or anything else) salesman and try to pressure me into something, its pretty douchey.

I love it when people base opinions on past cars, and ignore how the Fusion and Ford in general has been getting excellent reliability ratings as of late.

I understand but lets just say he had the car 6 months and out six months it was at the shop all but 45 days! He had very bad luck with it, Ford ended up buying it back and he got an Olds.

I hate it when friends act like they're a car (or furniture, or appliance, or anything else) salesman and try to pressure me into something, its pretty douchey.

Just trying to help the man out, plain and simple. I didn't know you were such a wise a$$... :neenerneener:

I find the Fusion to have better frontal and side visibility than the Malibu, which could be important for driver's ed. Both cars kinda suck for rearward visibility.

If I were set on getting a Chevrolet Malibu, I'd buy a CPO one and save $5,000.

I find the Fusion to have better frontal and side visibility than the Malibu, which could be important for driver's ed. Both cars kinda suck for rearward visibility.

If I were set on getting a Chevrolet Malibu, I'd buy a CPO one and save $5,000.

He will only do a new car. He has pretty much narrowed it down to a new Malibu 1LT or maybe an Accord.

He will only do a new car. He has pretty much narrowed it down to a new Malibu 1LT or maybe an Accord.

If you want him to buy the Chevy, you can also say the Malibu is an IIHS Top Safety Pick, whereas the Accord and Fusion missed out (if only slightly).

So he had a lemon, like GM never put out a lemon? Or Toyota? Or anyone?

You can't blame someone for not wanting to replace a car they had issues with with another car of the same make. Most people don't follow the car industry and have no idea that an Impala and Cobalt are totally different while a Lucerne and DTS are one in the same.

Its no different then if you went to a store, bought a product, felt like you got screwed and vowed never to shop there again. It takes years of hard work to change perception, and that work is one the part of the automakers, not the consumer.