Buick Lineup Starting to Look Stale

I keep looking at the relentless decline in Buick's sales numbers and wonder how much time the name has left. I was pretty excited about the LaCrosse when it first arrived (maybe because it looked so much better than the cars it replaced), but now it's starting to look fairly dated already. The same with the Lucerne (though to be fair I've not seen one in person here in LA). What will the sales numbers look like a year or two from now when the Enclave is introduced? And then another few years after that when the Epsilon II replacement arrives and later (maybe) Zeta? I wonder, too, how well Enclave will do compared to Arcadia both being sold at the same dealers? We might see Buick selling under 200,000 units annually in a few years if things continue as is. That's around the same level as Olds when it was killed. GM always seems behind the eight ball (3 steps forward, 2 back).

The Buick lineup has been stale for some time-the only product I think that stands a chance at reviving the brand is the Enclave. The Terraza and Rainier are soon to die (and Rendezvous-though it could be a nice mid-size filler based on LWB Theta, on a similar wheelbase as now), and the stale and vastly underwhelming LaCrosse and Lucerne sedans, which are pretty closely priced and sized, kind of like in the mid-late 1970's with Ford and Mopar "mid-size" and large cars.

If Saturn is successful in the next few years, I'm sure it's the end of Buick. Simply too many brands right now.

The truly sad thing is, when Oldsmobile was killed, they actually had some interesting cars (Intrigue, Aurora) that competed with the best that Japan, Inc. could make. Meanwhile, Buick soldiers on with an overpriced Taurus-lookalike and a supposedly up-market flagship that has less base power than the car that it replaces. While I am certainly impressed with the Enclave, it is by no means a brand-saver. More likely than not, it will become an Acadia Denali by 2009, which will be the year that the prolonged incompetence of General Motors kills this once-proud brand.

If Saturn is successful in the next few years, I'm sure it's the end of Buick. Simply too many brands right now.

I disagree. There's still not to many brands. GM's product remain's hazey brand identity for to many brands, and the lack of proper product for brand. If done properly, all brands could exist easily.

The truly sad thing is, when Oldsmobile was killed, they actually had some interesting cars (Intrigue, Aurora) that competed with the best that Japan, Inc. could make. Meanwhile, Buick soldiers on with an overpriced Taurus-lookalike and a supposedly up-market flagship that has less base power than the car that it replaces. While I am certainly impressed with the Enclave, it is by no means a brand-saver. More likely than not, it will become an Acadia Denali by 2009, which will be the year that the prolonged incompetence of General Motors kills this once-proud brand.

Yeah, the last Oldses were definitely more interesting and competitive than what Buick has currently, IMHO...

I disagree.  There's still not to many brands.  GM's product remain's hazey brand identity for to many brands, and the lack of proper product for brand.  If done properly, all brands could exist easily.

I agree.... Even with Oldsmobile, GM didn't have too many brands.

The only problem is that GM does not successfully utilize all of their brands. They have THE POTENTIAL to be the most focused automaker ever. They could cater to ALL types of consumers through there various ESTABLISHED and WELL RECOGNIZED channels/divisions

If GM were to really FOCUS it's divisions and make them consumer friendly (i.e. better as in more specific value) they'd be unstoppable.

Phasing out Oldsmobile was an expensive disaster and has done NOTHING to help GM. If they make the same mistake twice then they (GM) don't deserve to survive.

So much potential.... If only GM would utilize it.

I agree.... Even with Oldsmobile, GM didn't have too many brands.

The only problem is that GM does not successfully utilize all of their brands. They have THE POTENTIAL to be the most focused automaker ever. They could cater to ALL types of consumers through there various ESTABLISHED and WELL RECOGNIZED channels/divisions

If GM were to really FOCUS it's divisions and make them consumer friendly (i.e. better as in more specific value) they'd be unstoppable.

Phasing out Oldsmobile was an expensive disaster and has done NOTHING to help GM. If they make the same mistake twice then they (GM) don't deserve to survive.

So much potential.... If only GM would utilize it.

Exactly! The fact is GM could own about 40% of the market if they did the right thing and focus each brand. There are not to many brands that is the silliest thing I ever heard. Most people latch on to it because they read it so much. GM could have a focused:

Luxury Brand ala BMW Benz - Cadillac

Luxury Brand ala Lexus - Buick

Near Luxury Brand ala VW/Audi - Saturn

Near luxury brand ala Acura/American - Pontiac

Economy Cars ala Honda/Toyota - Chevy

Now when it comes to trucks well all they have to do is focus money on Chevy and let Gmc be a Fleet brand that sells dumbed down versions of different makes so that resales could be salvaged. They could also remove features and components that are expensive to make them as cheap as possible.

Edited by rueben44

Buick is huge in China...it's not going anywhere.

GM will force the rest of its uncombined GMC/Buick/Pontiac stores to join before they chop a brand.

I've read it cost GM almost $2billion (& counting) to close Olds. I doubt that they'll go that route again...

I think you'll see a sale of Saab or their share of Suzuki or Isuzu before anymore US brands are chopped. The bad PR alone isn't worth it.

No offense to this Buick-hating thread but here are undeniable facts.

The LaCrosse isn't being sold to fleet nearly as much as the Century and Regal and the sales have surpassed the Century and Regal.

The Lucerne has been raved about by every reviewer and owner I have found on the internet. If the LaCrosse didn't make them look at Buick twice the Lucerne definitely did.

No offense but if you haven't seen a vehicle in person or sat in it, it's hard to know whether it looks 'dated' or not. That term gets thrown around so loosely like everyone can agree on what your idea of 'dated' is. I'm sure looking at stock pictures of the Lucerne constantly I'd begin to call it dated too, but I've checked it out in person and it is definitely on top of things. I'd like you to find something factual that shows it's dated.

The only complaints about the Lucerne have been the fact it's still a 4-speed and the gas mileage isn't quite up there with Toyotas, but that doesn't mean the Lucerne doesn't have Toyota beat in almost everything else.

And any complaint you find with the Lucerne you will be sure not to find with the Enclave (aside from the gas mileage maybe, we don't know yet but GM as a whole seems to be lagging there). The Enclave isn't just any boring vehicle, it is setting the industry standard!

The reason why the decline in sales is mostly because of backing off of Fleet sales. Both GM and Buick have known this would happen but the Rendezvous has oversold what they've expected (Don't tell me the spawn of the Aztek was EVER supposed to sell NEARLY as many vehicles as they have), the LaCrosse is selling exactly where it is expected and the Lucerne is too early to tell but there has been virtual silence on its negative aspects, the average age of a Buick buyer has plummeted, and the Enclave was one of the biggest raves at the biggest auto show all year....

What exactly is making you concerned for Buick? Because aside from your hunches and worries about sales of 3 vehicles not outputting as many as 5 vehicles with fleet sales is a bit absurd. If Buick is going to die it is strictly because GM has been planning it for years, because everything they've done so far is working as planned or better. Check out the "Buick's Bright Future" thread for even more facts that Buick is not hurting at all.

Edited by Cananopie

No, it would cost too much to kill a brand... They still haven't made up for killing Oldsmobile, besides Buick has been stale since the 90's, nothing has changed except for new models and weren't the LaCrosse and Lucerne being developed before Lutz joined GM? Edited by -Camaro-