Which do you like better?

Which do you like better? CTS or MKS?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better? CTS or MKS?

• Cadillac CTS
    • Lincoln MKS
    • Other - explain

I often drive by a L-M dealership and am able to glance at their inventory that is on the lot or in the showroom. Sometimes I actually stop in. They are a low-key dealership.

They have a beautiful pearl white Lincoln MKS. They also have a silver one. From the outside, the car has got quite a stance. Most of its angles are good. I am not so sure I like the austronaut effect once inside. It has the high console just like the new Taurus. Also, once inside, you know you are in one hefty car. I think it's a very attractive vehicle, but it's way above my price point and way above the "statement" I need to make with my car - that is, if I need to make one at all.

I can tell you that I liked the first-gen Cadillac CTS, thinking what a great step forward it was for the brand. Rapidly, one saw many of them on the road and the age of those driving them was lower than what I would have imagined for Cadillac. I do NOT like the new CTS. I think it's overstyled. Also, sitting in one, the pillars are too thick and visibility is not what I would like. However, it gets good reviews. I am happy about that, because it's a GM product.

Of these, I pick the Lincoln MKS. The Lincoln is more timeless. The Cadillac's current styling platform for this car is more trendy.

What's your take?

For what it's worth, I immediately liked the current CTS but over time I tired of it. The MKS I first ignored when it arrived, but when I checked one out at the auto show, I grew to like it, especially the 'contemporary American luxury' themed interior.

Overall, I still give the CTS's exterior the nod, particularly in terms of imagination. I'm not a fan of its front end, but I love the side, especially a silver or white one viewed under the sun. The 18" wheels, HIDs, and foglights are a must, though.

It would be awesome if Cadillac would make a bright white (not yellowish pearl), gloss or matte CTS-V with black chrome. Like this:

lambo_gal_geneva.jpg

I wouldn't normally compare them because of the size difference (Lincoln is much bigger) and the drivetrain differences (the Lincoln being FWD/AWD). But they are at similar price points and both have powerful V6s.

I like the styling of each, have sat in both at the auto show, haven't driven either. I'd give the CTS the edge for RWD and the slicker styling, the Lincoln looks good over all, but it's so tall and slab sided. I like the interiors of both, and they both have ample content and cabin tech.

I wouldn't consider the CTS-v in the comparison, as it's in a different league all together..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

the fair comparison would be between the MKS and DTS but that wouldn't change my vote for the Cadillac

I've driven the MKS and it does not drive as nice as the DTS or the CTS. Bad axle hop over bumps and a generally unsettled and somewhat schizophrenic ride and handling characteristics. The DTS is smooth and pretty much unflappable (near perfection in the ride dept, not even torque steer worth mentioning) and the CTS is way better in the corners.

The MKS and Town Car are the only Lincolns I like...the MKS for it's modern style and cabin tech, and the Town Car for it's old school style, and that it's the last of it's kind, Lincoln's equivalent of the '90s FWB.

It's wierd, but I really think I'd be happy either w/ a modern lux car like the CTS or with a new-yet-old school one like the Town Car. Both appeal to me for completely different reasons. And comparing the Town Car to the DTS, I'd take the Town Car, no question.

The DTS is smooth and pretty much unflappable (near perfection in the ride dept, not even torque steer worth mentioning)

Right, regardless of what others think, the DTS is a trustworthy luxury car and is also timeless in appearance. Consumer Reports finds it a little soft and too isolated, but I think I too would take a DTS over an MKS.

Actually, the last line of the MKS mini-blurb in Consumer Reports said that initial reliability has been below par. That would make a 4 cylinder $22,000 Mercury Milan more reliable. What's wrong with that picture?

Actually, the last line of the MKS mini-blurb in Consumer Reports said that initial reliability has been below par. That would make a 4 cylinder $22,000 Mercury Milan more reliable. What's wrong with that picture?

Strangely enough, the last time I read CR (3 years ago), most luxury cars were rated below average in reliability, especially the German sedans.

Strangely enough, the last time I read CR (3 years ago), most luxury cars were rated below average in reliability, especially the German sedans.

IIRC, the last time I looked at CR (last May) the only luxury cars that were consistently above average were, as expected, Lexus models.

Regarding CR, I like to look at it (for free) while doing the tea or coffee thing at Borders or B&N. They seem to have a major h***-on for Japanese cars, which don't interest me. They do confirm that my two Buick purchases were good model years. The 98 and 99 Intrigue don't fare too well with them. They effin' love the new Fusion and Milans...those two show ratings that are just as good as all of the top-ranking Japanese cars. Go Detroit!

I've fallen in love...

cadillac-cts-wagon1.jpg

However, I do like what Lincoln has to offer with the MKS. The main issue with it is that the Taurus undercuts it in price and has most, if not all, of the same luxuries. What I will say is that Lincoln's MKT took me off guard. I never liked it until I saw it in person via an indoor mall showroom. It's much tidier looking in the flesh.