Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Listen Up - ipod can cause deafness

Somebody is suing ipod, alleging that the product is inherently defective because if used as intended it can cause permanent hearing loss. If you don't care about your hearing read no further. Otherwise, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if one spends all day with an amplified source blaring high sound levels into the ear (or ears) from a headset, audiophile headphones, bluetooth, etc. that will cause gradual, permanent hearing loss. Add that to all the other noise everybody is subjected to. Think it over.

Add this to the reasons I don't use an iPod. People who always use them just seem so out of touch with the world around them. I know I always feel my most creative when I'm just observing my surroundings and letting my mind wander.

Of course, it does make for a lot of fun, since iPod people are easy to sneak up on. Sean May (UNC's former center, for those who don't follow college basketball) always wore one, and I felt tempted to just run up and try to scare him. Of course, being that he could crush me with one hand, I decided against it.

Add this to the reasons I don't use an iPod.  People who always use them just seem so out of touch with the world around them.  I know I always feel my most creative when I'm just observing my surroundings and letting my mind wander.

Of course, it does make for a lot of fun, since iPod people are easy to sneak up on.  Sean May (UNC's former center, for those who don't follow college basketball) always wore one, and I felt tempted to just run up and try to scare him.  Of course, being that he could crush me with one hand, I decided against it.

The main reason I use mine at work is for focus... cube farms are noisy and there are a lot of distracting conversations going on around me..so when I have to get it done, I turn on the music...I don't use the earbuds, though, I use my Bose noise-cancelling headphones.

Edited by moltar

they proabbly work too the bose ones, for 2-300 doollars they better!!

The Sharper Image ones do a decent job, but the Bose ones are definitely better. I use mine mostly on trips (great on airplanes) and usually keep the Sharper Image ones at the office.

Edited by moltar

I bought my girlfriend an iPod a couple weeks ago, she turned the volume up really high for some reason and now one of the ear buds doesn't sound right, there is a lot of static.  Her hearing seems fine though.

Sounds like she blew the speaker in the bud?

Anyway, I've never found that even with the volume up to the max on my iPod, it's not THAT loud. It may be that my earbuds are not the types that go all the way in your ear, but rather let outside noise enter around them. I bought them specifically with that intention as like 10 years ago I remember reading about how you could destroy your hearing by just blasting music directly into your ear canal.

The suit will be THROWN out.

I'm going to have a cup of McD's coffee, eat a meal at Jack-in-the-Box, roll over my '95 Explorer and then buy an iPod so I can cash in big time! :D

dont forget blow out a firestone tire!! i lived by the quadriplegic lady who originall suied FMC and Firestone, her house was literlay a huge mansion, huge!

How about you not be so f-in' obsessed with your iPod? Idiots...

Yeah, I do hate the obsession with the greatness of the iPod. But I can't front, if the money was there, I could use one (will never stop me from collecting vinyl, however).

Sounds like she blew the speaker in the bud?

Anyway, I've never found that even with the volume up to the max on my iPod, it's not THAT loud.  It may be that my earbuds are not the types that go all the way in your ear, but rather let outside noise enter around them.  I bought them specifically with that intention as like 10 years ago I remember reading about how you could destroy your hearing by just blasting music directly into your ear canal.

The suit will be THROWN out.

May not help Apple. It may still cost them a lot of money and they have no redress in the US. Enough copycats and they may still drive the ipod off the shelves for good, even if every case is thrown out the first day. Elsewhere the plaintiff would have to pay the legal costs for wasting everyone's time.

I bought my girlfriend an iPod a couple weeks ago, she turned the volume up really high for some reason and now one of the ear buds doesn't sound right, there is a lot of static.  Her hearing seems fine though.

The ear buds are under warranty (1 year?). The same happened to mine (allthough I never cranked up the volume), so I took them to an Apple store and they gave me a new set.

Add this to the reasons I don't use an iPod.  People who always use them just seem so out of touch with the world around them.  I know I always feel my most creative when I'm just observing my surroundings and letting my mind wander.

Of course, it does make for a lot of fun, since iPod people are easy to sneak up on.  Sean May (UNC's former center, for those who don't follow college basketball) always wore one, and I felt tempted to just run up and try to scare him.  Of course, being that he could crush me with one hand, I decided against it.

I guarantee that if you got one.. you'll change your mind completely.

I never would've considered buying an iPod. I received one as a gift last year and I haven't stopped listening to it since. I've consolidated my whole musci library and I use an FM transmitter so I can listen to it through my car's speakers when I'm driving.

I will say this.. there are some people out there who listen to the iPod all the time. They will never turn it off. That's a very small majority and they're total tools.

Most people I know who have it.. listen to it in their free time or when doing something that doesn't involve any social interaction.. like working out at the gym. I use my iPod when I work out.

Most people I know who have it.. listen to it in their free time or when doing something that doesn't involve any social interaction.. like working out at the gym.  I use my iPod when I work out.

Yup...At the gym in the cardio room, on airplanes, doing hw when roomie is studying and i cant just play it on the laptop...or even occasionally going to and from (and even sometimes during) class.