Word Association

Charger4U

Ill be quite the anal retentive a-hole on this.

Pete Rose never cheated. 

Pete Rose bet on baseball. For his team to win.  While he was playing and managing. 

Pete Rose was never charged let alone be found  guilty of arranging  baseball games...

Pete Rose is the all time leader in hits. Played hard every single time he was at bat and running the bases. He stretched singles into doubles. Doubles into triples.  Scored on runs that others would simply just stay on 2nd or 3rd base. Pummel the other team's catcher and give them concussions literally while trying to be safe at home trying to make the run count.  Pretty hard to arrange losses when he played this way for all 162 games in a season, every season he played for 20 years. 3562 games played. 14 053 at bats.  4256 hits.  batting average .303  

Dont believe me?

Charlie Hustle was his nickname.  One could mistake the name hustle as him hustling his way through gambling...but with 4256 hits, the most ever in MLB history even to THIS day, I think hustle means that he played to win rather than play to lose. Catch my drift? 

And quite ironically and more hypocritically, like anything coming out of the MLB,  gambling on baseball games has now become legal in all the  American States and Canadian Provinces. No more a taboo gambling is. The 1919 ChiSox scandal Pete Rose is not and never was...  

Pete Rose GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Pete Rose barrels over Ray Fosse on Make a GIF

Im not even sure one could call him an a$$h073 for playing the game hard as he did, but he did have haters for it.. 

If its any consolation, no runner could gun down the catcher anymore... but he is definitely not a cheater.  And he DOES belong in the baseball hall of fame down in Cooperstown!

Major League Baseball owners and leaders and decision makers have a pretty BIG and hypocritical baseball bat lodged deep inside their collective asses.  MLB has colluded many a-time for keeping players' wages ridiculously low up until the players got a strong union formed. That would be sometime in the late 1980s to early 1990s.  Baseball had reached its century mark and THAT is a far worse taboo and crime committed if you ask me...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks @oldshurst442 for the history, I only have the news to go on since I watch NO PROFESSIONAL or ANY SPORTS. Waste of time IMHO. Especially all the wasted Billions spent by politicians on palaces for billionaire owners who should have to pay for the stadiums themselves. I refuse to support the owners and the over paid whinny athletes.

Machining

Machining Turning GIF by Dormer Pramet

22 minutes ago, David said:

Thanks @oldshurst442 for the history, I only have the news to go on since I watch NO PROFESSIONAL or ANY SPORTS. Waste of time IMHO. Especially all the wasted Billions spent by politicians on palaces for billionaire owners who should have to pay for the stadiums themselves. I refuse to support the owners and the over paid whinny athletes.

Machining

Machining Turning GIF by Dormer Pramet

I aint gonna tell you to watch sports or anything like that.

But watching sports has NOTHING to do with supporting anybody.

Watching sports is entertainment. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Now...I DO agree with you that in MANY cases, billionaire sports teams owners and sports team leagues are GREEDY and DO play with the system.  

And yes...whiny athletes do exist from time to time.  

But...athletes are NOT overpaid.  

Sports is a BILLION dollar industry, several billion times over across the world, thanks in part to folk like me...but athletes ARE the product and THEY DESERVE ALL the money they get and quite honestly, they NEED to make MUCH more than they do...

So...the ONLY thing I disagree with you on that last statement and I do find it inaccurate and not quite offensive but it does bother me to hear it, is that athletes are overpaid.  They are not. They are most definitely underpaid.

You could say that teachers and doctors are overpaid, but teachers and doctors are not working in a career where their respective industry is generating several billions of dollars of revenue. 

If you have contempt for sports and its athletes, then you must have the same contempt for the TV and movie industry and its actors and the music industry and its rock stars and rap stars.

If it has taken you (personally) decades of hard work and training for you to reach the levels of your body building to where you are now, its the same thing for athletes.  

There are just as many greedy owners in sports as there are very generous ones.

Some owners are greedy cons and crooks. While others are very respected members of society and contribute greatly to their communities in various ways including donating MILLIONS of dollars YEARLY to various causes locally and nationally. 

No different from Hollywood sexual predator casting couch directors, pedophilic rock-n-roll stars, TV evangelical hypocrites,  tax evading, possible rape artist billionaire multinational corporation owners like a Bezos or a Gates and definitely like an Epstein...  

But for every  shyte human businessman, there are just as many that use their influence, star media power and money to help others in need.  And you dont hear about them because most of the time, they dont want and need the accolades. 

15 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I aint gonna tell you to watch sports or anything like that.

But watching sports has NOTHING to do with supporting anybody.

Watching sports is entertainment. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Now...I DO agree with you that in MANY cases, billionaire sports teams owners and sports team leagues are GREEDY and DO play with the system.  

And yes...whiny athletes do exist from time to time.  

But...athletes are NOT overpaid.  

Sports is a BILLION dollar industry, several billion times over across the world, thanks in part to folk like me...but athletes ARE the product and THEY DESERVE ALL the money they get and quite honestly, they NEED to make MUCH more than they do...

So...the ONLY thing I disagree with you on that last statement and I do find it inaccurate and not quite offensive but it does bother me to hear it, is that athletes are overpaid.  They are not. They are most definitely underpaid.

You could say that teachers and doctors are overpaid, but teachers and doctors are not working in a career where their respective industry is generating several billions of dollars of revenue. 

If you have contempt for sports and its athletes, then you must have the same contempt for the TV and movie industry and its actors and the music industry and its rock stars and rap stars.

If it has taken you (personally) decades of hard work and training for you to reach the levels of your body building to where you are now, its the same thing for athletes.  

There are just as many greedy owners in sports as there are very generous ones.

Some owners are greedy cons and crooks. While others are very respected members of society and contribute greatly to their communities in various ways including donating MILLIONS of dollars YEARLY to various causes locally and nationally. 

No different from Hollywood sexual predator casting couch directors, pedophilic rock-n-roll stars, TV evangelical hypocrites,  tax evading, possible rape artist billionaire multinational corporation owners like a Bezos or a Gates and definitely like an Epstein...  

But for every  shyte human businessman, there are just as many that use their influence, star media power and money to help others in need.  And you dont hear about them because most of the time, they dont want and need the accolades. 

Again will agree to disagree as I think teachers, doctors, engineers, scientist are worth far more than they are paid in comparison to athletes which are overpaid for their skill. Athletes do not build a world, they are entertainment and you are right everyone has the right to earn as much as possible. I choose to not contribute to their wealth and ego.

EGO

Congratulations Ego GIF

@David

If you noticed, I am not that enthused by the MLB. Their collective ownership group  and the people that run the MLB. 

I SHARE your thoughts on their greed.  But Im also on the side of the fence that understands as long as our society as a whole worships the almighty dollar, crooks and cons will always exist. 

Nothing we can do to erase that.

You might not want to be entertained by watching sports, and that is all fine, I do not want to change any of that of you, but I do want you to reconsider your position regarding your statements of athletes being overpaid.   

There exists another problem in our society...

Where we have been bamboozled in thinking that the working man makes too much money...  Keep in mind that athletes ARE the product that sports teams make their billions on. 

We are conditioned to think that unions are bad....

In India last week or two, some sort of accident happened that killed Indian workers. I dont remember what exactly happened because my ties to this shytty money at all costs society I live in lends me to IGNORE these kinds of stories... 

But I also havent TOTALLY ignored it either. Im aware...

I also know that at the turn of the last century in North America at the start of the industrial revolution, many of these types of accidents happened often enough to have workers rev themselves up, start protests and DEMAND to be unionized for better working hours, conditions and safety...

Our mayor, a lady, wanted to expand the subway system.  Our Quebec Prime Minister said no as it would cost too much money for that project as Quebec has other needs and Quebec (City) and Ottawa cant afford such projects.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/new-metro-line-with-29-stations-would-cost-less-than-6b-projet-montréal-says-1.4348035

She said the cost would be less than 6 billion CDN dollars...

OK...we all know that is false. Corruption and all that...it would probably balloon to 3 times that. 18 billion dollars.

Lots of money right?

Yeah...

Richard Branson and Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos are spending MORE than that on trying to reach the phoquing moon...

Bezos and Musk  are WORTH 100s of billions and I KNOW for a fact that Amazon pays NO taxes anywhere, Bezos pays his workers like shyte...but we dont say shyte about that....  We as a tax payer, will agree that expanding our subway lines is NOT worth the cost, yet we say nothing for the billions wasted on pet projects like going to the moon.  We allow Bezos to skirt tax laws...  Yet we focus on the sports leagues and its athletes...  

THAT is why I went all pissy on you David.   Sorry.  But I had to let it out... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, for the record, not every sport/franchise has public funding. I believe the NFL is the worst with this but certainly not EVERY stadium was 100% public money. 

Here is a good link and at the bottom it has 111 stadiums and the breakdown via pie graphs of how they were funded. Personally, I think it should be around 50/50 split as both parties are benefitting but the city should NOT fund the entire stadium, imo. 

https://globalsportmatters.com/business/2019/05/22/who-paid-for-your-stadium/

For example, St Louis' Busch stadium(Cardinals) cost $365m and only $45m was public money. Enterprise Arena(Blues) cost $135m and only $60.4m was public money. St Louis City Stadium(new MLs team, St Louis City) costs $458m and only $5.7m was public money.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, David said:

Again will agree to disagree as I think teachers, doctors, engineers, scientist are worth far more than they are paid in comparison to athletes which are overpaid for their skill. Athletes do not build a world, they are entertainment and you are right everyone has the right to earn as much as possible. I choose to not contribute to their wealth and ego.

EGO

Congratulations Ego GIF

Its not about ego...

You of all people David....

Its a CAREER...    You focus too much on those that are negative.   But there are many that are good role models.

You probably only see Babe Ruth as a fat, gluttonous drunk that had extra marital affairs...

Yet you are oblivious to the fact that he was very generous to sick children in hospitals and had various charities going...  

I suggest you do some research before such ignorant blanket statements...

The Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens, their respective ownership groups and their respective athletes do soooooo much for Boston, Montreal, Massachusetts and Quebec...

Plays for Montreal now...

But in Nashville...he did and STILL does lots for that community

Read up on him...

Is the Nashville Predators' Shea Weber Really an Elite Defenseman? |  Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Played elsewhere...traded to Boston, won the Cup in 2011, got traded to Edmonton and I believe has since retired now its been 3-4 years.

Ex-Edmonton Oilers captain Andrew Ference knows hockey days are over |  Edmonton Journal

Well...the time he spent in Boston, he created many charities for the Boston area and while playing in Edmonton, still catered to these charities in Boston.   Still does.   Read up on him too.

Read up on what this current Bruins Captain does in Boston for Boston and for the last 15 years...

Boston Bruins Awards Watch: Patrice Bergeron on pace for another Selke

Habs Money on the Board signup form - Eyes On The Prize

Canadian Pro Sport Teams and their Charities - Charity Intelligence Canada

https://www.charityintelligence.ca/research-and-news/ci-views/44-special-reports/604-canadian-pro-sport-teams-and-their-charities

Since the Calgary Flames launched a charity foundation to complement its hockey team in 1983, other professional sports teams have jumped on the philanthropy bandwagon – the Vancouver Canucks in 1986, the Blue Jays in 1992, the Winnipeg Jets in 1996, the Ottawa Senators in 1998, Montreal Canadiens in 2000, and the Edmonton Oilers in 2001. Newly amalgamated in 2009, MLSE Foundation represents the Maple Leafs, Raptors, and Toronto Football Club (soccer).

Having a charity attached to a professional sports team offers a way to build the team’s brand in the community. Athletes give their time to do community service, and sometimes allocate a portion of their signing bonus to the team’s charity. With the donations, corporate sponsorships and money raised from 50/50 draws, the pro team charities fund a variety of charities. Grants go mostly towards other kid and sport-focused charities.

In 2017, Canadians gave $49.7 million to the eight charity foundations associated with professional sports teams. Having three teams under one charity foundation makes Toronto’s Maple Leaf Sports Foundation the league leader by size, with revenues in 2017 at $10.3 million.

Baseball tops all the hockey team charity foundations with Jays Care Foundation raising $9.4 million in 2017. Being a national team with 81 home games in a large stadium with division-leading average attendance of 39,555 (twice the average attendance of hockey, twice the number of home games) has material fundraising advantages.

The hockey teams’ charities raise between $4 million and $7 million, making them among the largest 3% of donor-supported charities in Canada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

The Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens, their respective ownership groups and their respective athletes do soooooo much for Boston, Montreal, Massachusetts and Quebec...

Plays for Montreal now...

But in Nashville...he did and STILL does lots for that community

Read up on him...

100%, Albert Pujols is still doing A LOT for the city of St Louis as he has charitable organizations here as well along with Yadi Molina and Adam Wainright. 

The STL Blues are a huge partner with St Louis' children's cancer center, along with the Cardinals. Those two organizations have teamed up A LOT since the Rams left town. 

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/friends-of-kids-with-cancer-fashion-show/c-301755572

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1