Two great GM engines...

Which long-standing GM 6 cylinder engine is better/more durable?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which long-standing GM 6 cylinder engine is better/more durable?

• Buick 3800 V6 (1985+ multi-port)
    • Chevrolet 250 Inline 6 (60s and 70s)
    • Equally good
    • Apples and oranges because of tech. changes
    • This is a dumb question
    • Other - explain

I think about this every now and then.

As for the 3800 V6 engine by Buick, once it went transversely mounted, received roller hydraulic lifters and fuel was delivered via port injection, it became one of the best engines ever. I'm closing in on 270,000 miles on the old car and still love the car and this engine.

However, I also think back to a 1970 Pontiac LeMans coupe my Dad owned. He never thought much of Pontiac, until he bought this car. He loved "la Pohn-tee-ak"...and so did our Australian Shepherd. It had the 250 inline 6 with a 1-barrel car and NO air conditioning, so the engine compartment was a mechanic's dream, with every plug easily accessible and lots of free space. It was a very smooth running engine and they had a 7-main bearing crank, pointing to long life.

Now, the inline 6 has had a great track record since it was "born." The Buick V6 had some teething problems...older ones were odd-firing and prone to throw timing chains.

So, then, here's the question: Under the exact same maintenance regimen, which of these two long-lived GM engines is more durable and reliable?

I voted Chevy inline 6, but I could be wrong.

Inline 6 engines have more journal bearings per cylinder and thus spread the stress out over more parts.

By virtue of there being more room for more mains, and there being more harmonics to quell with the longer crank. I mean, a 7 main V-6 would be the size of a V-8.

I would tend to vote for the 250- it's so understressed WRT low power levels, plus it's far less complex than the commonly-computerized 231.

I'd rather have the 3.6 DOHC DI V6, since it's available in current models. :)

(of course, my daily driver has a 4.0L pushrod straight 6 and my seldom driven fun car has a 5.0 pushrod V8. But most anything new I'd want has a DOHC or SOHC engine...)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The inline 6 wouldn't even physically fit into most of the vehicles the 3800 was in.

About the only GM vehicles that I recall that went from the inline 6 to a V6 in the same platform were probably the RWD B- bodies and X-bodies...IIRC, Chevy switched from the 6 to the V6 in '80 for Impala and Caprice...and the '78-80 A/G bodies didn't have the straight 6 at all, just V6s, IIRC. Re: the X-body--didn't the RWD Skylark use the Buick V6?

Also, the '73-77 A bodies had V6s (some Buicks) and straight 6s.

About the only GM vehicles that I recall that went from the inline 6 to a V6 in the same platform were probably the RWD B- bodies and X-bodies...IIRC, Chevy switched from the 6 to the V6 in '80 for Impala and Caprice...and the '78-80 A/G bodies didn't have the straight 6 at all, just V6s, IIRC. Re: the X-body--didn't the RWD Skylark use the Buick V6?

Those and the trucks.

Yes, the RWD A-body Skylark/Special used the V6.

Those and the trucks.

Yes, the RWD A-body Skylark/Special used the V6.

I wondered about the trucks...I wasn't sure when they went to V6s....if it was '88 or before.

Also the 2nd gen F-bodies.

Buick V6 left a LOT of open space in the front of those Firebirds...

Rob: Exactly what I was thinking.

The V6 lived on in 3.8 carbureted form in the 80s GM mid-sizes, and even some full-sizes (early Impala/Caprice and Parisienne).

The in-line 6 was present, along with V6s, in '73-'77 mid-sizes. IIRC, the distribution went like this:

Chevrolet: inline 6 in all of these years in the Malibu - makes sense, it's a Chevy engine

Pontiac: inline 6 in LeMans in '75 and '76, V6 (odd firing) in '77

Oldsmobile: ditto

Buick: V6 in '75-'77 (odd-firing) - makes sense, it's a Buick engine

The reason I started this thread is because I remember that the inline 6 in my Dad's '70 LeMans was a lot more pleasing to ear than the 3.8 2 bbl. V6 in his '76 Regal coupe.

The reason I started this thread is because I remember that the inline 6 in my Dad's '70 LeMans was a lot more pleasing to ear than the 3.8 2 bbl. V6 in his '76 Regal coupe.

I have an affection for straight 6s myself..having had both BMW and Jeep inlines..

Now for some trivia---I know about the Pontiac OHC 6 that lasted through '69, but when did Buick and Olds last have their own straight 6s? Sometime in the '50s?

Apparently, Buick's last straight 6 of it's own was in 1936...wow...list of GM straight 6s from Wikipedia, don't know how accurate it is:

* 1908-1912 Oldsmobile Limited six (acquired as part of the founding of GM)

* 1913-1923 Oakland Series 60 six

* 1913-1915 Oldsmobile Series 50 six

* 1914-1916 Buick Series 50 six

* 1916-1923 Buick Series 40 six

* 1916-1927 Oldsmobile Series 30 six

* 1923-1930 Buick "removable-head" six

* 1923-1928 Oakland six

* 1926-1927 Pontiac "split-head" six (also modified for GMC Truck models)

* 1928–1936 Chevrolet "Stovebolt" six

* 1928-1950 Oldsmobile F-Series six (also used in Marquette)

* 1928–1954 Pontiac GMR six (also modified for GMC Truck models)

* 1930s-1966 Opel OHV six (as used in large Opels like the Kapitän)

* 1936–1962 Chevrolet Blue Flame six (also used in some GMC Truck models)

* 1939–1962 GMC Truck six

* 1948-1985 Holden six (see note below)

* 1962–1990s Chevrolet "Generation 3" six

* 1963–1969 Pontiac Tempest six (derived from the Chevrolet "Generation 3" six)

* 1966–1993 Opel

* 1999-present Daewoo XK six (marketed as E-TEC; acquired via GM's purchase of Daewoo Motor)

* 2001–2009 GM Atlas six (marketed as Vortec)