Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Car Help

Z-06

The most comfortable and efficient 4-cylinder you can get.

You didn't give a budget, so I'm going to say Malibu LT 4-cylinder + 6-speed auto

Budget, car type, condition (new or old) is no bar for the person.

mpg is a big deal here. yet a hybrid won't help. is this all straight shot interstate or is it two lane roads?

a TDI might be cost effective here.

sales dude at the subaru palace told me some drivers with the CVT on the new Legacy report 35, 38 mpg in long distance highway travels. I would assume 30 mpg is no prob.

Fusion and Malibu I hear can each get 30 mpg in that same context. g6 or aura?

perhaps a simple impala with the 3.5v6.

saab 9-3's with stick and 4 get good mpg over the highway i hear.

Honda Fit aside from being noisy is not bad for an econocar here. CRZ?

Corolla, VIbe, Matrix?

Chevette diesel?

Actually this situation may be where the new Cruze will shine.

Edited by regfootball

Depends on their budget.. Add Sonata in the mix there too with its 35mpg rating and its crazy warranty. Really any car over 32mpg or more would be decent, anything less is pretty lame for a 2010 model 4 banger.

Edited by frogger

I'll take just what I bought for a work car, 29 plus going to and from work 38 highway cruise set at 75 all the power needed...Want same mileage less power get the Cruze.

Edited by RjION

TDI is definitely a good option. What do you guys think about a used E class diesel with low miles? What about a Fusion hybrid?

Considering the distance, what about a Prius?

I'll take just what I bought for a work car, 29 plus going to and from work 38 highway cruise set at 75 all the power needed...Want same mileage less power get the Cruze.

What car was that?

Depends on their budget.. Add Sonata in the mix there too with its 35mpg rating and its crazy warranty. Really any car over 32mpg or more would be decent, anything less is pretty lame for a 2010 model 4 banger.

Budget is not a problem. I have reservations recommending a Hyundai. Despite of touting the best warranty, the dealers always tried to wiggle out of the warranty and forced some of my acquaintances (three of them to be exact) to shell money of their own pockets.

TDI is definitely a good option. What do you guys think about a used E class diesel with low miles? What about a Fusion hybrid?

Considering the distance, what about a Prius?

I'm looking at this from the perspective of MPG first, long distance comfort very very close second, reliability third.

TDI would work out well. They're probably your best bet for highway cruising. Pruises are the mileage champs if you're in the city more than on the highway, but it's a penalty box interior that I wouldn't want to spend 125 miles a day in. The Fusion hybrid was nice, had your typical mid-size interior and was quite comfortable on the road. The Fusion Hybrid and the TDI are probably the best two for MPG + comfort.

The only way I'd look at an E-class diesel is if it's CPO with an extensive warranty.

While you've said that budget isn't an issue. You don't always want to spend money just because you've got it. That said, I revert back to my original suggestion of a Malibu LTZ with the 4-cylinder. Pick one up that is CPO and you're looking at a well equipped car that'll do 34mpg highway for around $21k. If they person is even the least bit sporty, even a Camaro V6 will do 29mpg highway if they use cruise control. Mid to high $20s there.

Can we ask who this is for and what they drive now (and if they like it or not)?

I'm looking at this from the perspective of MPG first, long distance comfort very very close second, reliability third.

TDI would work out well. They're probably your best bet for highway cruising. Pruises are the mileage champs if you're in the city more than on the highway, but it's a penalty box interior that I wouldn't want to spend 125 miles a day in. The Fusion hybrid was nice, had your typical mid-size interior and was quite comfortable on the road. The Fusion Hybrid and the TDI are probably the best two for MPG + comfort.

The only way I'd look at an E-class diesel is if it's CPO with an extensive warranty.

While you've said that budget isn't an issue. You don't always want to spend money just because you've got it. That said, I revert back to my original suggestion of a Malibu LTZ with the 4-cylinder. Pick one up that is CPO and you're looking at a well equipped car that'll do 34mpg highway for around $21k. If they person is even the least bit sporty, even a Camaro V6 will do 29mpg highway if they use cruise control. Mid to high $20s there.

Can we ask who this is for and what they drive now (and if they like it or not)?

I personally think that Fusion Hybrid and Jetta TDI are the best bets and so is the Cruze, when it will be available. Focus is too far a release for the wait. I was not talking about the W-210 E class, not the W-211, which has horrific build quality. The E300D turbo was the old engine which has been super reliable. I was throwing Prius as an odd ball. While the "numbers"are scintillating 51/48 City/Highway the car itself is like sitting in a breadbox with egg crate interior.

It is an exercise for me of a potential job offer. I do not want to leave where I live. I personally am inclined to keep both my cars and drive them to work as they are in great condition and not bad on fuel economy. But the new company is willing to pay $0.45/mile in travel allowance for any car that is less than 3 years old. None of mine qualify for that. That is about $1,170/ month. While I do not want to spend all the dough, price is therefore not a barrier for the cars with high fuel economy.

Sonata or Jetta/A3 TDI. Diesels can rack up hundreds of thousands of miles, and the Jetta or A3 both get over 40 mpg.

Sonata a NO as mentioned before.

A3 can be a possibility.

Since I love making excel spreadsheets, I made one for you.

I assumed 20 commuting days a month. I looked up the gas prices for Tampa and added a few cents.

post-51-12800983064659.png

Any of those numbers will support another car payment plus insurance. You could even swing a new Camaro V6 and insurance and still have a little left over for yourself.

Since I love making excel spreadsheets, I made one for you.

I assumed 20 commuting days a month. I looked up the gas prices for Tampa and added a few cents.

post-51-12800983064659.png

Any of those numbers will support another car payment plus insurance. You could even swing a new Camaro V6 and insurance and still have a little left over for yourself.

Thanks for putting it in writing, this is exactly what I was thinking. I can totally see the V6 Camaro as an option and use my GM card points to reduce the price. The net gain between Jetta TDI and Camaro is approximately $115. I would say screw that for the amount. Also, I can think of the Cobalt SS Turbocharged and use it for weekend trips at the circuit.