MT on GM's future RWD plans

Take this for what it's worth since it's from MT, but I figure that if they have news about it, it's been on for at least 2-3 months by now:

"The rear-drive revolution is gaining momentum at GM. Even as the Camaro concept stole the Detroit show, insiders confirmed that a rear-drive Chevy sedan was being worked on at GM's design studios. What's more, a rear-drive Buick sedan using the same architecture is also now under serious study. They even have a name for it: Invicta.

Now, couple this with Lutz's comments, and it would seem that these vehicles (along with the GTO) that were "under serious study" have gotten approval.

I figured the Buick would be the next-gen Lucerne.

Unless the Lucerne is to continue on the G-Body, what else could it ride on? The only other option is to put both the Invicta/Statesman and Lucerne on Zeta and simply make them be different sizes -- maybe the Lucerne could downsize and the Invicta could be slightly larger than the current Lucerne.

It doesn't make much sense to me for Buick to go that route though. I think something around the size of the Lucerne would satisfy most buyers' needs.

How does Invicta cause controversy?  It's a (damn sexy) NAME, people!

Invicta is a great name...Electra would be even better, IMHO... both names with Buick heritage. Statesman is so dull...about as boring as Ambassador (an old AMC) or Diplomat (an old Dodge)..

Invicta is a great name...Electra would be even better, IMHO... both names with Buick heritage. Statesman is so dull...about as boring as Ambassador (an old AMC) or Diplomat (an old Dodge)..

Electra should be a trim level for the eventual hybrids.

Hmm... just imagin.....

Buick Lacross Electra

Buick Lacross Super Electra

Buick V'elite Electra

Take this for what it's worth since it's from MT, but I figure that if they have news about it, it's been on for at least 2-3 months by now:

Now, couple this with Lutz's comments, and it would seem that these vehicles (along with the GTO) that were "under serious study" have gotten approval.

I am guessing the sedan is the new Impala as I have heard it is going to be a home run just as the Camaro has been. Not sure of the details but it is a lot new but a little retro just as the Camaro is.

A lot of GM fans (me included) would probably kill themselves if they could see how many really cool designs never see the light of day beyond the courtyard walls, only to be replaced in production by, shall we say, less than stellar looking machinery.

You don't even want to know what I'd do to be able to tour the GM design facilities responsible for bringing Zeta to life here in the US.

Agreed, I like the name Invicta.  Statesman is sorta generic, dull, and straight outa the 40's.

Yes indeed Invicta is a great name, too bad it only stuck around for four years originally. I say bring it back.

Either way there's a good chance I'll own an Invicta soon.

Posted Image