Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Winter is Killing My Car

Winter in NY sucks for one more reason. Potholes.

By early March, these things aren't mere holes in the road, and in many cases, they're unavoidable. Case in point: late tonight I was on my way home doing around 35 when a trench (no, really) caught my eye about 10 feet ahead. I would've gladly swerved around this monster, but it crossed all 4 lanes of the road. With nowhere to go and not nearly enough time to stop, I took a deep breath and hit it straight on.

This thing rocked my car hard enough for me to feel it. Luckily, my front bumper was saved, but I'm sure my suspension felt it. Ouch. How a crater this deep could even be allowed to exist is beyond me.

Between the cold, snow, ice, sand, salt, and potholes, winter really takes a beating on cars around here. I'm sure mine is wishing I lived in Florida right about now. I can't wait for spring. The first day the temperature breaks 50 I'll be outside washing, waxing, buffering, vacuuming, etc. I have all new OEM floor mats on the way, too.

Spring can't come soon enough at this point.

Salt here in the NE is a killer. Most GM truck frames have that thick, waxy coating that keeps them looking fresh for years, but the Colorado/Canyon just has a painted frame (like a Japanese truck), and mine is getting some surface rust on the edges. Me no like.

It's because they've ordered so much damn salt and we've gotten nothing. Then when it does snow, the media hypes it up as "THE SNOW STORM OF THE CENTURY" so the road commissions go out, dump 5 tons of snow in one night on roads. It's ridiculous.

I've already washed/waxed my Sol quite a few times. But, this weekend it is to be the first actual day above 50 degrees...oh boy I just might be "sick" come Friday or Saturday.

it's why around here, cars like Camaros are winter only cars. No one wants to run their pride and joy as an every day driver in the winter to have it eaten up by salt and have the chassis all beat to hell. So if you want a Camaro, you also end up having to have another car, which most folks can't afford. So between the winter abuse and RWD factors (being bad in slippery weather), that's why you can never count on big sales in the snow belt for cars that folks can't use or don't want to use 12 months out of the year.

It's because they've ordered so much damn salt and we've gotten nothing. Then when it does snow, the media hypes it up as "THE SNOW STORM OF THE CENTURY" so the road commissions go out, dump 5 tons of snow in one night on roads. It's ridiculous.

I've already washed/waxed my Sol quite a few times. But, this weekend it is to be the first actual day above 50 degrees...oh boy I just might be "sick" come Friday or Saturday.

They're putting SNOW on the roads? That is ridiculous.

*tags CD/BP and jumps into ring*

it's why around here, cars like Camaros are winter only cars.  No one wants to run their pride and joy as an every day driver in the winter to have it eaten up by salt and have the chassis all beat to hell.  So if you want a Camaro, you also end up having to have another car, which most folks can't afford.  So between the winter abuse and RWD factors (being bad in slippery weather), that's why you can never count on big sales in the snow belt for cars that folks can't use or don't want to use 12 months out of the year.

Camaros are winter only cars?!

it's why around here, cars like Camaros are winter only cars. 

Actaully I drive my RWD cars in the summer too! :metal::yes::pbjtime:8)

I even drove the '68 Camaro wiht bald 12" tires through a blizzard and past a 4x4 Blazer and 4x4 Ranger that went off the road and into a ditch on different parts of Rt.495.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Makes me glad I have a winter beater...hopefully it will make it though the winter.... :(

I wish I had a "winter beater" ... so my '87 MC LS didn't have to be out in winter. Luckily, I wax it at least 3 times (if not more) during the spring/summer/fall months ... so it is protected a bit ... at least, I hope so. Haven't seen much rust pop up in the last couple winters I've had it in ... course, this year isn't over yet :(.

I actually looked at a light blue/dark blue 2-toned '85 Buick Riviera today ... for a winter beater. But, I'd still rather have RWD ... so don't know :(.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Nothing lasts forever" ... Guns N Roses ... 'November Rain'

I wish I had a "winter beater" ... so my '87 MC LS didn't have to be out in winter.  Luckily, I wax it at least 3 times (if not more) during the spring/summer/fall months ... so it is protected a bit ... at least, I hope so.  Haven't seen much rust pop up in the last couple winters I've had it in ... course, this year isn't over yet :(.

I actually looked at a light blue/dark blue 2-toned '85 Buick Riviera today ... for a winter beater.  But, I'd still rather have RWD ... so don't know :(.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Nothing lasts forever" ... Guns N Roses ... 'November Rain'

Man Rivieras are great cars why would you ever want to make it a beater plus being fwd its not gonna be half as fun as rwd. My 85 riviera is a great car nice and solid and very little rust which I'm taking care of soon...

Man Rivieras are great cars why would you ever want to make it a beater plus being fwd its not gonna be half as fun as rwd.

Sadly, the one I saw on Saturday is already a beater, with rust in several places (not through tho) and a bit "rattly".... It was shown to me by a friend who is trying to find me a winter beater. She (actually, the same dealer from whom I bought my '97 malibu and '00 mc brand new; she now has her own used car lot) found the Riviera and thought of me, even though she knows I want RWD.

I know RWD would be more fun ... that's why I'd rather have it ;). Though, I've always liked Rivieras, too.... So, I don't know....

My 85 riviera is a great car nice and solid and very little rust which I'm taking care of soon...

Cool! Is your Riviera the one in your sig? If so, that's a convertible one, right?