$35M glass house / garage

Pretty slick, but not so much @ night, me thinks. Also, the illusions may start to crack once the first pair of dirty socks lays heaped against a wall for a few days.

Also needs to upgrade the ante' in the garage if this is a design-intensive project. FWD-proportioned wedges aren't going to butter the biscuits here. ;)

bigglass600.jpg

LINKY

I enjoy modern architecture, and design inspired by (and including) Frank Lloyd Wright.

I especially like the Willits House

Ward%20W.%20Willits%201445%20Sheridan%20Road,%20Highland%20Park1901.JPG

I especially like the clean, open and airy feel you get from these types of houses...although that one takes that to the extreme.

Some more stuff I like:

l2q-house-1.jpg

l2q-house-3.jpg

I also like it when modern, open design is combined with more traditional architecture.

custom_contemporary_home_builder.jpg

With that said I have always found other types of architecture to be fascinating, particularly Greek, Roman, and Gothic styles. Gothic Cathedrals in particular, with their ornate designs and their flying buttresses are one of my favorites.

y1pMXMAIll__iBLwP769SWloW6hzRD8inaFECLONaDd7Kf0VxcZqA9-BQ6WekAdRhaIFG5kmS1A0RU.jpg

111309800_530f7dbac0_b.jpg

I

Cold, lifeless, exhibitionist, and...

$35M?

Grotesquely over-priced.

Wrong in so many ways.

Looking at pictures of the house, its surrounded by woods, not in the middle of a densely populated area. Its only exhibitionist if people can actually see you, so WK, you can whack it in every room. As far as lifeless goes, again, surrounded by trees, I dont see how an open view of nature is lifeless.

• Agree 1

It's not the view of what's outside the structure- that would be the same if this was a 100 sq ft cabin. It's the antiseptic nature of the interior.

-- -- -- -- --

This monster is 15 minutes from me. I haven't seen it in person (it's not visible from the road) and was never lived in. I disremember how many millions the asking price is, but it reminds me of the OP house (needs a bit of landscaping) :

Screenshot2010-08-22at62252PM.png

It's not the view of what's outside the structure- that would be the same if this was a 100 sq ft cabin. It's the antiseptic nature of the interior.

Exactly.

It looks like a commercial building rather than a home.

But I do love the setting - just none of the architecture.

Part of it being so expensive is that it comes with a big honking lot in Montecito, the most expensive part of Santa Barbara (which is pretty expensive to begin with). Oprah & Rob Lowe are residents.

I couldn't live there myself; too cold. I'd feel like I'd never be able to leave a glass on the counter or a magazine out. I'd prefer something more along the lines of this.

While I always find 'extreme design' interesting, and the lines /geometry of this catch my eye, it is indeed a cold, soulless place that I could never call a 'home'.

I'd rather live in something like THIS.

From that guy's photostream...

...anybody want a Cobalt coupe?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/explorertom/3714688759/in/photostream

Abandoned places always make me wonder about the stories behind them.

Me, too!

Snapped a pic of an abandoned house this past Sunday ... and included it with my road trip pics...lol.

I saw PLENTY of abandoned places when I traveled Route 66 last year (September 2009).....

As for THIS $35M house ... I like the openness of it, in terms of natural lighting. BUT ... not so sure about privacy....lol.

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * Chicagoland Meets, 2011?

MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Just for a moment I held you too close" ... Steve Wariner ... 'The Weekend'