"Tragedy" Happened To My VW

MyerShift

So unfortunately, I experienced an automobile accident last Friday at 4:50pm.

My VW is totalled.

Fortunately, I am okay.

Anyway, I was on my way into work, headed east on State Road, going over the bridge that spans Interstate 69.

As I crested the "hill" I saw a blue Toyota RAV4 (ironic, no?) roll up and stop at the white line at the end of Willowbrook Road. They looked left (towards me), looked right, rolled a bit more, so I lifted off the throttle and then the stopped again.

Again, they looked left (and during all of this, I am travelling at 55mph and slightly reducing because of circumstances) but instead of staying put, they pull out waaay too late. The right front of the Toyota didn't even cross the centreline when the impact happened.

It all went very quickly; the bang of the airbag being the loudest thing I remember aside from the vehicles themselves. When my car came to rest, I did a quick check over of myself, my knee felt bruised but otherwise I seemed okay. Being that my car was in the middle of the road facing sideways, I got out as quickly as I could because I didn't want to end up really getting hurt because I got creamed again but sideways.

Everyone was okay, I was upset and it mostly stung my pride because I had worked so hard for my VW.

Went to the hospital later on because of my knee and wrist, but they were okay. I felt like I had gotten punched in the chest and back, the sides of my hips bruised because of the seat belt, my knee cut AND bruised because of my key fob, and some minor abrasions on my face and one on my right arm from the airbag. I got crutches and a pain pill called Tramadol (which I laughed at) which makes me barf if I don't eat enough with it. Yeah, that part wasn't fun either.

So, anyway, I am okay and I am very thankful for that and do know that my car was very safe, as it was a rather high speed head-on collision for me, and offset frontal for them, because I was able to walk away under my own power with only minor injuries.

Thank God you survived this accident and walked away with only minor cuts and bruises. The car did its job by protecting you. My advice to you - be sure to save a piece of the car as a good luck charm, a'la the Subaru commercial aired earlier this year (where the guy retrieves his belongings and takes the shifter knob).

Edited by GMTruckGuy74
  • Agree 2

Thank you all very much, and I will keep everyone posted on what I am getting next. I am very tempted to go VW again since I know they are safe, hehe. But... used A4 keeps popping into my head *grins*

I am so sorry about your accident. I just this thread. I am so sorry. The most important thing is that you are okay. I read that and was like wow! It hurts when you work so hard for something and this happens. Please keep everyone updated on your status as well as your situation.

Glad to hear you are doing well...

Speaking of accidents w/ Toyotas, found out this morning that my coworker got his restomodded '55 Chevy Bel Air ht out for the first time since his heart attack a few weeks ago...was a mile from home when a neighbor's kid (on a cell phone) ran a red light in a Camry and broadsided him...no injuries, but his Bel Air is pretty banged up.

• 4 weeks later...

Yikes, MS ... glad YOU are OK. Sorry about the collision, though. But, as others have said ... cars can be replaced, people can't.

You had problems with Tramadol? Really? I've taken it before (for obvious reasons...lol) ... and have had NO problems with it....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Rt 66+northwestUS, 2011?

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Watch over them for me" ... Darryl Worley ... 'If Something Should Happen'