The LA Times Susan Carpenter on the Volt

tmp

That is good. This is one of the main taget areas for this car to really make inroads in the So Cal area.

Autoblog gave it a pass. They liked the drive but bashed it on interior space and material quality. They have to also throw a tantrum about GM saying the engine assisted the car. I still thing their feelings are hurt. They really need to get over it.

I see in this story another EV-1 comment here. I wish more people had driven one or at least sat in one and they would really understand why they were not ready for prime time. THey were a good idea just way before the technology would carry them. They also fail to remember the price on those cars if given at what they really cost would make the Volt look cheap.

Hey it is a car that will use less fuel, merge onto a on a freeway without getting you killed and still get you home. Three things many other Electic cars will not or can not always do.

The real factor with this car is for those of us in the north. This is one of the few electric cars we can buy here and drive year round. While the ICE will kick in sooner and more often it will still get around on a 10 degree day and take us where ever we need to go.

I would like to see performance numbers in the cold on this and the Leaf. That is the real test of this type of car.

And what is the daily crow special are you going to boil with those numbers?

I don't know if you have noticed yet, but they REALLY didn't build the car they claimed they would. We've already talked about how they missed on style, price, volume, ICE MPG, etc... but now we can add the fundamental nature of the vehicle (i.e. ICE driving the wheels) to the mix. I suspect that to you these are minor details, but they are significant in discussing what exactly GM built in the Volt.

But yes, for the zillionth time, I didn't think they would bother building this car. Perhaps I gave GM management too much credit. I certainly failed to see the extent of how Prius-Envy controlled their lives. At least it sounds like they have realized their mistake and are moving on to plan B (their first mainstream real hybrid car) and C (full EV).

• Disagree 3

Hey it is a car that will use less fuel, merge onto a on a freeway without getting you killed and still get you home. Three things many other Electic cars will not or can not always do.

But can it seat 5? :) I know, that isn't one of the approved criteria.

I think you can take the "freeway merging" out of the mix. It sounds like the Leaf will be just as fast as the Volt. Rumors are (I don't know if I believe it yet) 0-60 time of 7s.

The real factor with this car is for those of us in the north. This is one of the few electric cars we can buy here and drive year round. While the ICE will kick in sooner and more often it will still get around on a 10 degree day and take us where ever we need to go.

I would like to see performance numbers in the cold on this and the Leaf. That is the real test of this type of car.

I`m having trouble finding the reference (so hopefully I`m not complete mistaken), but I believe I read that at under 15 degrees the engine would come on as soon as the car was started. I`m still trying to find confirmation that the Volt has any ability to heat or defrost the windshield without running the ICE. The information from GM that I have seen refers to heat coming form the ``on-board generator`` (i.e. ICE). So sure it will drive you around on a 10 degree day, but at that point you are essentially driving a $40K mid-30ish MPG gas car. Prius or Plug-in-Prius will do that for $10-$15K less up front and get significantly better fuel economy (and seat 5 :)). You also have to ask how well that center stack is going to work trying to use the conductivity of your finger when you are wearing big winter gloves.

A Leaf won`t have as good a range when it gets cold. But if the range is sufficient then a driver can drive the Leaf with no gas whereas the Volt is essentially a gas powered electric generator at cold temps.

Just don't ever plan to drive the leaf more than 100 miles.

less than that if you're going to be using that 0-60 time rather frequently

You also have to ask how well that center stack is going to work trying to use the conductivity of your finger when you are wearing big winter gloves.

I actually already have gloves that have conductivity in them for touch screen phone use. I can use my Android without taking my gloves off.

You also have to ask how well that center stack is going to work trying to use the conductivity of your finger when you are wearing big winter gloves.

I don't think the cast of Doctor Zhivago is the target audience of the Volt. :P

I can't recall the last time I used gloves in my car during a Canadian winter, although I'd appreciate tactile dials over the touch interface anyways.

But can it seat 5? :) I know, that isn't one of the approved criteria.

I think you can take the "freeway merging" out of the mix. It sounds like the Leaf will be just as fast as the Volt. Rumors are (I don't know if I believe it yet) 0-60 time of 7s.

I`m having trouble finding the reference (so hopefully I`m not complete mistaken), but I believe I read that at under 15 degrees the engine would come on as soon as the car was started. I`m still trying to find confirmation that the Volt has any ability to heat or defrost the windshield without running the ICE. The information from GM that I have seen refers to heat coming form the ``on-board generator`` (i.e. ICE). So sure it will drive you around on a 10 degree day, but at that point you are essentially driving a $40K mid-30ish MPG gas car. Prius or Plug-in-Prius will do that for $10-$15K less up front and get significantly better fuel economy (and seat 5 :)). You also have to ask how well that center stack is going to work trying to use the conductivity of your finger when you are wearing big winter gloves.

A Leaf won`t have as good a range when it gets cold. But if the range is sufficient then a driver can drive the Leaf with no gas whereas the Volt is essentially a gas powered electric generator at cold temps.

Seat 5? How often does the average driver of a sedan haul 5 people?

You miss my point on the Freeway merge. Both the Leaf and Volt need just enough to get on safely. This spitting game of top speed is just funny. If the people buying these cars care about the Eviroment so much then they should not be doing 101 MPH. This has always puzzled me about the 80+ MPH Prius I see. It just seems counter productive.

As for cold my point is the Volt will survive the winter and get the people of the north where ever they go even if it has to use some gas. The counter I see here is the leaf may or may not make it depending on how much power it uses and loses in the cold. Temp and battery condition will keep this a moving target. It also has no luxury of using the engine to cool or heat the car if needed. It will either waste a lot of energy or it will be like a VW Beetle and have more frost on the inside than out.

The Volt is just the first step in a new direction for a car. It can expand and improve in several areas. Until better batteries are developed the leaf will be just what it is another golf cart.

And I am tired of the price game. This car will get cheaper as time goes on. It is not really any different than the Big Screen TV's. The more they make and sell the cheaper it will become. Once a market is established prices will come down. GM just had to take the risk first to make a car enough people would buy. Right now the Volt looks to be the one to do so. THe EV1 could have never met the price range nor the ability to meet most average drivers demands.

Just don't ever plan to drive the leaf more than 100 miles.

Or 70 miles if driven in anger in the cold with the heater on high.

I wonder if you could go to Nissan if a cold snap comes and say I need a loaner car for a week. My range has dropped and I can no longer make my commute.

I figure the towing industry will love the Leaf. As often as you see people try to streach a tank of gas out and fail I bet many will get home later and say I will charge it tomorrow night. I should have enough to make it. Nissan should put in a small back up cell to get you at least 5-10 miles just for safety. Imagine someone running out on the I5 North near Anahiem CA at 5:30 PM in the middle lane. They could just flip a switch and get off the free way at least. Heck even bikes have reserve tanks.

Edited by hyperv6

Are we really going to make a big deal over the 5th seat? 5-seat cars are really about 4.25 person seating. To me the more important question is which vehicle would more comfortably seat 4.

I see GM doing a small mini van on this platfrom similar to the one they showed in China. If people need more room I see this the next step with the 2nd or 3rd gen. By then they will have a little more range on battery and the price will come in line more to make it more appealing. Besides the Prius one will be out next year. Though it is not really all that much bigger based on the billboards.

I don't know if you have noticed yet, but they REALLY didn't build the car they claimed they would. We've already talked about how they missed on style, price, volume, ICE MPG, etc... but now we can add the fundamental nature of the vehicle (i.e. ICE driving the wheels) to the mix. I suspect that to you these are minor details, but they are significant in discussing what exactly GM built in the Volt.

But yes, for the zillionth time, I didn't think they would bother building this car. Perhaps I gave GM management too much credit. I certainly failed to see the extent of how Prius-Envy controlled their lives. At least it sounds like they have realized their mistake and are moving on to plan B (their first mainstream real hybrid car) and C (full EV).

As usual, nothing new that has been brought on the table. Same tirade continues.

As usual, nothing new that has been brought on the table. Same tirade continues.

Some tend to forget that this car is the Alpha not the Omega. It is only the begining not the end.

They also tend to forget the first Prius and what it really was. Todays 3rd gen is no where near the same car. Also the price of the second Gen went over $30K for many who bought in the first year or two and it came down with sales. These kinds of cars advance in steps.