Camino LS6

A small chance of a big change

Something came up today that, if it pans out, would mean a big change for me.

Unfortunately, it would also mean an unpleasant commute inside the city limits of Philadelphia every day. I hate cities, but this could be worth the aggravation.

So, I'm thinking that my Tahoe isn't the right beast for such a commute (should this happen). Pushing 200k and at 15 years old, asking it to do a high-traffic, 40 mile slog everyday doesn't seem advisible.

It is very early to be thinking about this, but should it happen, a change will need to be made for daily driver purposes.

I'm thinking small 4x4 pickup.

But I'm not married to that idea in any way.

Input?

Well, I'm regularly pulling down 17.5-18mpg in pure city driving in a 2WD I5 Colorado with traction control. I'm sure a stripped down 4cyl model would do even better.

Having driven a Colorado more than my own car these past few months,, I would rank it as slightly above walking, but with more things broken.

Maybe one with a v8 and newer than 2007 are better, but the 5 cylinder 2007s we have are utter piles. I'd rather spend the money on a bigger, nicer truck, which is a shame because I like the size of the Colorado.

What about a Grand Cherokee?

• Upvote 1

All joking aside, a G8 ST would be perfect for this.

But a fullsize would be overkill (and much the same as the Tahoe).

So I'm thinking bare bones and compact.

You could always go with a Ranger. They're obviously proven, having the same powertrains since 1993. Maybe a 6cyl/stick Dakota too.

I'd suggest an S10, but 4cyl models are super weak. Try accelerating onto a highway with a vehicle whose 0-60 time is best measured with a calendar.

• Upvote 1

You could always go with a Ranger. They're obviously proven, having the same powertrains since 1993. Maybe a 6cyl/stick Dakota too.

I'd suggest an S10, but 4cyl models are super weak. Try accelerating onto a highway with a vehicle whose 0-60 time is best measured with a calendar.

I think I like the Dakota idea.

On the S-10 I agree - it would have to be a 4.3 or nothing.

I will say the Colorado is at least peppy, still would never want to own one though.

What about a late model Cherokee? Manual 5.9 Dakota, or even a current gen Frontier? What would your hypothetical budget be?

It kinda big, but how about Dodge Magnum SXT or R/T AWD?

It's a wagon, it has great road manners, it looks cool, it's not that common, prices for them are reasonable (some great deals out there).

I will say the Colorado is at least peppy, still would never want to own one though.

What about a late model Cherokee? Manual 5.9 Dakota, or even a current gen Frontier? What would your hypothetical budget be?

I think a 5k budget would be about right, and I'd lean toward lower miles vs. features.

Magnum would be very nice. What are they going for?

Ideally, I'd like to finish the Mothertruck and unload the Tahoe. Then I could just snag an interesting RWD car as a daily unless the weather is bad. A few days per year of driving the big beast won't kill me.

I have to have a 4WD, but I don't have to drive it every day.

If I put a plow on the Mothertruck, I could even unload the ROPOS. That would really make my day.

I like the Tahoe quite alot, but I have to shrink the fleet.

I fully vote Magnum, although if you are going to keep yourself to a $5k budget they're going to be tough to find for those prices.

You can also buy an AWD Magnum, which will go anywhere you want it to go, while still being and looking badass...

I like the Dakotas a lot, especially the last generation, so I would throw a vote towards one of those as well. I am just not impressed with the Colorado, and the Ranger is literally ancient and an afterthought for Ford anymore.

Skip trucks all together on this one and get a Panther....cozy, power, good on gas....

Trucks tend to be a PITA in city driving anyways....

There wouldn't be very much actual city driving (although I've done that with big trucks for years anyway). There would be quite a bit of bumper-to-bumper highway drivng though.

I'm not big on Panthers, but a Marauder might change my mind.

There wouldn't be very much actual city driving (although I've done that with big trucks for years anyway). There would be quite a bit of bumper-to-bumper highway drivng though.

I'm not big on Panthers, but a Marauder might change my mind.

Slower than an Accord V6 of the same year.

I fully vote Magnum, although if you are going to keep yourself to a $5k budget they're going to be tough to find for those prices.

You can also buy an AWD Magnum, which will go anywhere you want it to go, while still being and looking badass...

I like the Dakotas a lot, especially the last generation, so I would throw a vote towards one of those as well. I am just not impressed with the Colorado, and the Ranger is literally ancient and an afterthought for Ford anymore.

Right now, I'd say that a Dakota is the leading candidate. It wouldn't be the last generation though - I find them hideous. The previous gen is a good-looking truck, and a standard cab 4x4 with a six and a stick is just about right for the job.

I looked at some listings for Magnums and pricing is all over the place. Most of them seem to be modded in very tacky ways. Any example I would want probably will exceed what I'd want to spend this go-round.

Slower than an Accord V6 of the same year.

But infinitely more interesting.

FWD cars are out of the question.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook