Acadia replacing Envoy??

So I'm confused. How big exactly is this Acadia? I mean I guess I kinda know as I saw the Enclave at the Chicago Auto show, but they are calling it a crossover??? Seems to be big enough and have the amenities to just be another SUV. Besides that, is this going to be replacing/phasing out the Envoy or selling alongside it? If it is replacing the Envoy(and Rainer with the Enclave), then what is Chevy going to do about the trailblazer? We've only heard of the 3 vehicles(GMC, Saturn, Buick). My wife has a 2003 Envoy now and she loves it, just wondering what her next SUV/Crossover will be now as she will only buy GM. Someone please clarify this for me.

It seems possible that GMC will let the SWB Envoy run its course while the LWB XL is phased out, replaced by the 7-seater Acadia to complement the Yukon. I suspect sales of both will be strong as they cater to different clientele.

Ok, in the year 2007 what consumer would go to a buick/pontiac/gmc dealership and choose a heavy, bland, fuel thirsty, large, GMC Yukon over the what seems to be impressive Acadia? If the change in design AH-HA mentioned happening to the 07 Yukon in a couple years is going to happen, it better be pretty damn good... :unsure:

So GM is building a brand new "crossover" larger than their standard wheel base SUV to fill a VERY SMALL niche where the Envoy XL currently is? Is the XL selling poorly enough that they felt it needed replacing? And furthermore, if you are to drop it, why not leave that void, so you can force people up to the Yukon? Maybe even bring the price point of the Yukon lower yet so it remains semi-affordable and doesn't leave too much price gap between it and the Envoy Denali.

So then is the Enclave replacing the Rainer, or becoming an upper model in Buicks lineup? And why doesn't Chevy get another badge-engineered vehicle to complement thier lineup of trailblazers and Tahoe?

I guess until these new vehicles come out, I really don't see the sense from a financial standpoint for them to co-exist with all the current offerings(except Envoy XL)

To me only the Saturn Outlook works as Saturn doesn't currently have a large vehicle such as this.

Within the company, Acadia supplants Envoy XL. In the grand scheme of things, GM has two 7-seat crossovers: the Rendezvous, which is being replaced by Enclave, and the Cadillac SRX, a pretty top-heavy lineup in terms of pricing.

Why would the regular Envoy be killed? It sells well, doesn't it? Its always popular around here, much nicer than TrailBlazer or the others, IMO. I'll miss the EXT/XL, but without overlap, what would their purpose be?

• 1 month later...

Ok, in the year 2007 what consumer would go to a buick/pontiac/gmc dealership and choose a heavy, bland, fuel thirsty, large, GMC Yukon over the what seems to be impressive Acadia? If the change in design AH-HA mentioned happening to the 07 Yukon in a couple years is going to happen, it better be pretty damn good...  :unsure:

What change to the Yukon are you referring to?

The Envoy, Yukon and Acadia all serve different markets.

Yukon - Those needing heavy duty towing and hauling ability.

Envoy - Those wanting a true "truck" SUV with body on frame. Great for heavier towing and capable of going "off-road"

Acadia - Those wanting a "city" SUV. Able to pull a small trailer, and haul the kids to the soccer game.

I do think the Acadia will steal from the other two with todays gas prices, but I think it's more likley to steal from those wanting something bigger than a sedan and not willing to buy a minivan.

They should make a Lambda Van to replace the Astro and Safari.

The Astro and Safari were truck-based vans. Lambda is rumored to be used for the next gen of GM vans. The first supposed real comeptitor to the rest of the compeititon.

Envoy - Those wanting a true "truck" SUV with body on frame.  Great for heavier towing and capable of going "off-road"

But the vast majority of Envoy buyers are soccer moms and dads. Acadia will generally replace Envoy, though maybe there is a market niche big enough to justify keeping the SWB Envoy.

But the vast majority of Envoy buyers are soccer moms and dads.  Acadia will generally replace Envoy, though maybe there is a market niche big enough to justify keeping the SWB Envoy.

I strongly agree with you there. I think GM probably does too.

I think GM is taking a "wait and see" approach. If it appears Acadia is stealing a significant amount of Envoy sales. Envoy is Dunzo.

Otherwise they might actually give it more than just a face lift in a few years.

It people can get a a) bigger vehicle b) more room c) better fuel economy for the same price as an Envoy, then i see no reason why they'd buy envoy over the acadia.

Edited by jbartley

The Envoy, Yukon and Acadia all serve different markets. 

Yukon - Those needing heavy duty towing and hauling ability.

Envoy - Those wanting a true "truck" SUV with body on frame.  Great for heavier towing and capable of going "off-road"

Acadia - Those wanting a "city" SUV.  Able to pull a small trailer, and haul the kids to the soccer game.

I do think the Acadia will steal from the other two with todays gas prices, but I think it's more likley to steal from those wanting something bigger than a sedan and not willing to buy a minivan.

WHAT HE SAID IS PERFECT. 100% GOSPEL. they can't kill the envoy...its far to popular and as an ICON now in the SUV landscape. If anything, the Acadia will allow the Envoy to become even more trucky and professional grade. The Envoy is truly a signature product for GM. To mess with it is about as dumb as selling a G6 GXP stick without the 3.6.

I strongly agree with you there. I think GM probably does too.

I think GM is taking a "wait and see" approach. If it appears Acadia is stealing a significant amount of Envoy sales. Envoy is Dunzo.

Otherwise they might actually give it more than just a face lift in a few years.

It people can get a a) bigger vehicle b) more room c) better fuel economy for the same price as an Envoy, then i see no reason why they'd buy envoy over the acadia.

some folks like the toughness of the body on frame the trailblazer and envoy offer. and its a diehard bunch that remains a solid market size no matter what.

since GM has built many different version of the trailblazer, they can keep building the envoy in lesser numbers and still fill the factory with ASCENDERS, 9-7xs, Raniers, etc.

i know the rainer is bowing out after 07, and so is the Ascender.

it'll just be envoy, trailblazer, and 9-7x(although not that much longer)

• 2 months later...

143426[/snapback]

AND WHAT minivan that GM makes would that be, pray tell?

The answer is..... NONE!!

The General done wrote off this whole market segment..... at least until sometime

when Hell freezes over, waiting for a "Lambda mini-van"!

Might as well go look for the leprechans pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, as

wait for the General to "decide" if they want to even have a mini-van!

I don't know who the product planners are talking to at GM, but it sure is not the

car-buying public!

Has anybody there studied the demographics lately? The car buyers with discrectionary cash are getting older!.... Just like the population!!

Sporty cars are nice..... but I never owned a Camaro.... cause I could not sit in one comfortably for more than 2 minutes!

You guys concentrate on looks and appearance, but there are more family-Moms,

with car-buying cash than wanna-be teen-agers! And that's the facts, man.

Wake up........ somebody!!!!!!!

:hissyfit:

I, too, give the Camaro a big shrug (the old one never sold, why would this one be any better?). If it leads to a large, RWD Buick and Chevy sedan, then I say it is a good thing, but the minivan is a much more important segment to the Canadian market than it is to the American. Case in point: the Caravan/Voyager twins were the #1 selling vehicles in Canada for years; whereas, in the States it has been the bigger, gas guzzling pick ups. Leaving Chevrolet without a competitive (other than on price) minivan for another couple years is only going to significantly contribute to the continued erosion of GM's market share in Canada. I would have been far more excited about the Camaro if it was planned 3 years ago and was on the market this year.