Nominations for Concepts that shouldn't have been left on the shelf

GM wasn't going to build a unique platform for the production G6. It had to share hard points with the rest of the Epsilons of the time, just like every Pontiac in its class since the '61 Tempest. It was on the longer wheelbase of the Maxx, and it shared no visible body or interior parts with the Malibu. It was sold as a coupe and a hardtop convertible, bodystyles not seen anywhere else at GM on the Epsilon platform.

The mistake was to put out such an exaggerated version of the future production car as a concept, when GM knew full well it couldn't deliver on that promise.

I made no mention of needing a 'special' platform. As well, I made no mention of sharing visible cues, either. Needless to say, the G6 offered nothing but a different look over its Epsilon brethren. A look that got lost in translation, at that.

What I'm saying is that they started with a great design that featured good proportions, stance, and detailing with a nicely tailored interior (all of which wasn't exactly far-fetched by any means). GM had the full ability to make the production version a closer adaptation of the concept than they managed. It was thoroughly half-assed with everything that was loved about the concept getting lost in translation. Even if GM chose to build a platform for it, they likely would have brought themselves better profitability and something far more flexible and sustainable than the unique platform they built for a low-cost, low production niche pair of roadsters everyone loves. This platform could have easily been spread among other brands and underpinned many different vehicles, hypothetically speaking. Again, though, limited to what GM currently had at its disposal, there is absolutely no reason the production vehicle couldn't have been truer to the concept.... While still producing your beloved coupe and convertible versions, as well.

I'm not exactly thinking radically here, unlike some nominations in this thread.

Form me, it would have to be the 99 Charger Concept, I actually gota chance 2 see it @ the Chicago Auto Show.

The Dodge T-Rex Cuz its just a monster truck, I think if it would have gone into production, it would beat the pants off the Raptor.

The Hemi convertable,had it been a Plymouth instead of a Chrysler.

The F-body Chevy Nomad cuz it was just f@#kin cool!!!!

The Mercury Messenger, cuz it would have given Mercury a Flagship vehicle.

THe Ford Forty -Nine, cuz I love the whole throwback look of the 49 Tudor.

One last serious candidate from me, the Holden Coupe 60.

post-394-0-79449200-1292799413.jpg

This is the next-gen GTO we should have had. The strength of the lineup that included this as well as the sportwagon and Ute would have made the G8 family so much more powerful in the market. For once, a single model with various bodystyles would have illustrated just how to leverage an architecture to greatest effect.

Opportunity lost.

• Agree 1

Jeep Gladiator

msg-394-0-97677400-1292809383.jpg

This is a complete no brainer. There's long been demand for another Jeep pickup. Chrysler has toyed with the idea many times. It's only natural to build it, especially with the Dakota either being phased out in favor of or moving to unibody. A compact, Wrangler based pickup that would appeal to those who want a small truck as well as Jeep enthusiasts, while doing the Jeep name proud, and being much more of a Jeep than the Compass or Patriot.

• Agree 1

Do prototypes count? Because...

90_Proto_%28Small%29.JPG

Obviously, this is as easy as 'GM cancelled the Fiero when things were just getting good. The next generation could have really made itself into a great sports car and lead the brand to less potential failure at driving excitement.'

Edited by blackviper8891

Jeep Gladiator

This is a complete no brainer. There's long been demand for another Jeep pickup. Chrysler has toyed with the idea many times. It's only natural to build it, especially with the Dakota either being phased out in favor of or moving to unibody. A compact, Wrangler based pickup that would appeal to those who want a small truck as well as Jeep enthusiasts, while doing the Jeep name proud, and being much more of a Jeep than the Compass or Patriot.

That's the best concept out of Chrysler in years. Now that is a truck I'd consider owning..(as long as it had heated and cooled cupholders and 10 way power heated/cooled seats available) :) (j/k)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

One last serious candidate from me, the Holden Coupe 60.

This is the next-gen GTO we should have had. The strength of the lineup that included this as well as the sportwagon and Ute would have made the G8 family so much more powerful in the market. For once, a single model with various bodystyles would have illustrated just how to leverage an architecture to greatest effect.

Opportunity lost.

That would have rocked as a GTO. 4dr and wagon G8, ST ute..what a line up that could have been. Too bad the Grand Am name image was ruined by the FWD model, the G8 sedan and wagon would have been quite nice as Grand Ams in the 1973 sense of the name...

Not so sure really bad bodywork guarantees a good "great" sports car (let's ignore the GT-R for the moment)...

I gave you a point.

But I was more looking at the mechanical improvements that were to come with the Gen-II. Style wise, yes, it's not for everyone and the interior was largely a carryover