I Have The Chicken Pox!!!!

Can you believe it....?

I am one of the rare kids that never caught the Pox......and now, at 35 years old, I've got 'em BIG...!

I must have caught it during my heavy travels over the last month or so.....in-and-out of airports and airplanes and stuff.

It started out with heavy chills, fever, and night sweats on Monday and Tuesday (3-27, 3-28) and then Wednesday morning, the little red bumps started showing up.

By Thursday afternoon, I was returning from a meeting in Nashville....and the red bumps turned a nice shade of NASTY....! I was SO humiliated flying home from Nashville thru Las Vegas to Los Angeles. I was broken out ALL over my face and head....but it looked like really bad acne...not the tiny red bumps.

I went straight to Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo Thursday night when I got close to home and they confirmed that, yes, I had the Chicken Pox.

Today is Sunday and I'm broken out all over, however, many of the bumps have started to crust over, which means I'm getting closer to being done with this. The word is....the uglier and nastier they begin to look, the closer you are to being healed. There's no medication and no treatment. You basically just let them run their course (7-10 days according to the doc.)

Other than looking like a FREAK from the circus, I feel pretty good. It's a beautiful day outside today and I'm thinking of taking the 'Vette down and washing it and detailing it. I just can't get around anyone. I really haven't had any itching either (Chris knocking on wood.) Although, they could begin to itch as I get to the end of all this.

Because of the contagiousness of this, I've been in the house since Friday and have really enjoyed doing nothing but tearing through old car magazines and stuff, watching The Golden Girls DVD sets, and playing with the dogs. Hopefully I'll be cleared up by mid-week (that's my hope.)

Any other entertaining experiences with this cute little virus....?

You don't itch?! You lucky ass! I was SO itchy when I got them. It was crazy!

Wanna hear something rare and weird? My mom had them twice.. the second time was while carrying my sister, but my mom's dad hasn't had them once.

I got the pox right as Christmas break was almost over in second grade, so I had an extra week long vacation. Although it wasn't all it was cracked up to be...I remember a couple nights were the itching was so bad that I couldn't sleep at all. I still have a few spots where I scratched the chicken pox too much that it left a light scar mark.

I feel for you... I haven't had them either.

Variance, I've heard the same thing also, but I know someone who went through it in his 40's. It was pretty much the same situation as O.C.'s.

Still don't want them. It's not really the Chicken Pox that worry me; it is the Shingles that might occur later.

Yeah I've heard that they can be a lot more serious when your older too. If thats true, then it sounds like you are getting off pretty easily oc.

I got em when I was about 6 or 7. it made it's way around the whole grade school, at least 20 kids were out of school at one point. I had em really bad. I musta had close to a thousand spots. It was horrible.

Can you believe it....?

I am one of the rare kids that never caught the Pox......and now, at 35 years old, I've got 'em BIG...!

I must have caught it during my heavy travels over the last month or so.....in-and-out of airports and airplanes and stuff.

It started out with heavy chills, fever, and night sweats on Monday and Tuesday (3-27, 3-28) and then Wednesday morning, the little red bumps started showing up.

By Thursday afternoon, I was returning from a meeting in Nashville....and the red bumps turned a nice shade of NASTY....!  I was SO humiliated flying home from Nashville thru Las Vegas to Los Angeles.  I was broken out ALL over my face and head....but it looked like really bad acne...not the tiny red bumps.

I went straight to Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo Thursday night when I got close to home and they confirmed that, yes, I had the Chicken Pox.

Today is Sunday and I'm broken out all over, however, many of the bumps have started to crust over, which means I'm getting closer to being done with this.  The word is....the uglier and nastier they begin to look, the closer you are to being healed.  There's no medication and no treatment.  You basically just let them run their course (7-10 days according to the doc.)

Other than looking like a FREAK from the circus, I feel pretty good.  It's a beautiful day outside today and I'm thinking of taking the 'Vette down and washing it and detailing it.  I just can't get around anyone.  I really haven't had any itching either (Chris knocking on wood.)  Although, they could begin to itch as I get to the end of all this.

Because of the contagiousness of this, I've been in the house since Friday and have really enjoyed doing nothing but tearing through old car magazines and stuff, watching The Golden Girls DVD sets, and playing with the dogs.  Hopefully I'll be cleared up by mid-week (that's my hope.)

Any other entertaining experiences with this cute little virus....?

dang thats rough. Is it shingles, or are you still too young for that? that can be dangerous. hope it runs its course quickly

Wow... get well soon! My dad got em at like 43. He was fine after like a week.

Chargerino, your sense of humor is pretty developed.

O.C., seriously, we hope you feel better soon.

lol, you know i sware when i first read the post i tohught..ooops....im not suppose to be around people with chicken pox..ill get it..and im like oh duh this the internet. lol.

dang thats rough. Is it shingles, or are you still too young for that? that can be dangerous. hope it runs its course quickly

I had shingles when I was like 20. I found it humorous... they tell you that you can only get chicken pox once. Then you find out it's because they rename it the second time. :blink:

You don't itch?! You lucky ass! I was SO itchy when I got them. It was crazy!

Wanna hear something rare and weird? My mom had them twice.. the second time was while carrying my sister, but my mom's dad hasn't had them once.

I've been SO lucky on the non-itchy front. They are starting to all scab over now (meaning I'm getting close to being done with it) and they are still not itching.

They SAY that if you've had the Pox, you can't get them again. However, the doc DID tell me that if your first case of the Pox is a relatively mild case, with not too big of a rash, you might be able to catch it a second time.

I'm hoping another two days and I'll be almost done.

Don't they say chicken pox can be fatal when you're older?

Nah.....

It's just a bigger pain-in-the-ass as an adult because, as a kid, you don't have to worry about being away from work for 7-10 days....and as an adult, I think it's FAR easier to get bored at home....I've been DYING to get out....do to dinner....go shop for car rags....ANYTHING....

The doc did say there was a (small) chance of pneumonia......so if I start to cough or have trouble breathing, I'm supposed to go back in. However, knock-on-wood, I've felt quite good the entire time....with the exception of this NASTY-looking rash....

Chargerino, your sense of humor is pretty developed.

O.C., seriously, we hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, ocnblu, trinacriabob, and everyone else.

The really $h!TY thing about the Pox is that, while at the beginning you have the chills and night sweats and fever, once the bumps actually break out, you are over the "feeling bad" portion.

SO....you are confined to home.....can't hang out with friends....can't go out to dinner.....can't do ANYTHING, yet you FEEL A-Okay.....! THAT's what sucks....

It's one thing to be able to sleep in bed all day when you are down with the flu or somethin' else....throwing up, and crappin' juice....but when you feel really good, you can't go out and do anything.

Well, at least I can drink WINE at home.....and watch DVDs.....and read all my old car rags....