Dealer installed protection packages

I thought I would see if this is a common practice at other dealers as well. When we were test driving vehicles, the Chevy/Cadillac dealer (and no one else) put a "protection package" on every single new vehicle they had. The package was basically some sort of scotch guard type application done to the interior, nitrogen in the tires, and the windows were etched with the VIN or whatever it is they do.

Anyways, this package is $599, and it's on every f@#king vehicle. Really annoying to see a $20,800 Cruze bumped to $21,399, or even worse on an Cruze LS or Aveo. I can see putting it on $50,000 Cadillacs, but $599 on an $18000 Cruze LS is a price increase of 3.33%.

Since we never got to the haggling point on the Cruze because we decided to get the Civic, it didn't matter, but I would demand that they eat that $599 (which probably costs them all of $100) and then give me a fair price as well if I ever bought a car there. And if I ordered a vehicle I would tell them not to put that crap on it.

Anyways, anyone have dealers that do the same thing?

just tell them you never asked for it and you aren't paying for it and that there is a chevy dealer every 5 miles down the road that will gladly take your business as you request.

scotchguard is worth some, but at 599 for what amounts to a 5 dollar can of spray, you might as well spend the extra for leather instead of a spray can to protect the burlap on the seats.

i've always been asked if i want it, but none of the last 3 4 times i bought did they press the issue. I just take a moment to fake like i am considering it, contort my face a little to make it seem agonizing just to gratify their effort. If they every did force the issue I would just say 'sorry i changed my mind we do not want the car anymore'.

it would be smarter to apply that 600 bucks to an extended warranty or even buy a unit with the RS package, something tangible.

Regarding warranties, never bite on the first quote. Ex warranty prices are very much haggle-able. SOmetimes they will buckle and go down to half of their first quote. An extended warranty for 20 bucks a month vs. 40 or more is not all that bad of something to consider depending on if it extends a lot of protection on your car and is transferrable.

I don't see a lot of dealers that force it on every car anymore though, the protection packs and stuff.

Edited by regfootball

Well since we got the Civic anyways we are no longer in market for the Cruze. It just seems ridiculous that if you don't argue for them to not charge for the BS that even if they give you the car at invoice they're still making at least $1k on every vehicle when factoring the huge profit margin on the protection package and dealer holdback.

But yes, that is very true about extended warranties. I was looking into Honda extended warranties and a lot of people on Edmunds have gotten ripped off, paying $2500 at their dealer for an extended warranty you can buy at any Honda dealer, and there are dealers that will give you quotes online. We can extend the warranty on ours to 110k and 5 more years for $900. My dad is going to call the local Honda dealer tomorrow (we did not buy the Civic there) and see what they will do on a warranty. I'm sure it will be some ridiculous amount like $2k, at which point we will call up the dealer that gives you quotes online.

Here's another add-on story...a coworker and his fiancee bought a new Sentra last week to replace her worn out '02 Camry..he was going on about the deal they got, incl. some kind of every 6 month paint sealant treatment (zaktek) that was normally $1500 (wasn't sure if that was a one time fee or every 6 months)...sounds like snake oil.