My first Cobalt problem

Not a big deal... but I still can't believe it happened already.

I've worn a hole in my floor mat with my foot. Already. 25,000 km. It's about the size and shape of a small Swiss Army knife, and it's right where my right heel rests while I'm driving. The grey carpet is completely worn away, and I can see the white fabric underneath.

Is this kind of thing covered under warranty?

I don't see why not. That's really terrible though. I used the carpet mats that came with the car for about six months, then got the all weather rubber mats from GM Accessories. They'll wear a lot better and are much easier to clean...just take them out of the car and shoot them with the hose. I still have the carpet ones (which only show very minor wear).

Since a few years ago, it's been nothing BUT rubber mats in our cars.

Sorry, but I'd rather have something that can not only be cleaned and look like new in just a few minutes, but also actually serve it's purpose of being a floor PROTECTOR and not just another slab of carpet to get grimey...

Even in the Caddy's...color matched rubber looks mighty fine, and wears like iron :AH-HA_wink:

The GM Accessories rubber mats for the Cobalt are really well made. They're a really thick rubber with little circles on them that catch the dirt/dead grass/etc that gets on your shoes. And they're form-fitted to the Cobalt footwells. Is your rug grey or black? The GM mats probably won't look so great on a grey rug since they only come in black.

Get the OEM replacement carpet mats if they're under warranty, then store them somewhere and, as Fly said, pick up a cheap set of mats from the car care store of your choosing. Then, when it comes time to part with the car, throw the cheapies out and put back with the GM ones that you got replaced under waranty.

I've never had "squeaking" problems, and definately am not always sloshing my dirty feet down on a piece of carpet no different than the rest of the floor.

I always thought the role of floormats was to protect the floor, just not be a piece of the same carpet to get even dirtier and ruin...

uhh having plastic on your seats is like having plastic on your couch having rubber matts is like having soles on your shoes . . . its where your feet go your shoes are to keep your feet clean, dry, and intact. . . theyre not to keep other things that way you have to protect your own car that way. . . you can take em out for a date but theyre a good investment.

I agree w/ dart, I don't like rubber mats either. Good custom-fit ones look OK, but they're slippery when wet, so my heel slides around sometimes. When I buy my 4th set of floor mats one of these days soon (probably look for good aftermkt), I'll cut a good piece off the old one and double-sided-tape it to the new one where my heel goes. Works great, looks good (dark gray carpet blends in together), and keeps my foot put. Heh-heh, I rhymed.

I think my Datsun is on it's 1438th set of floor mats.

I have a generic set on the bottom and a set of Chevrolet stamped

rubber ones on top of those. If I ever stuff a V8 in it I'll put the ones

out of my Camaro. :)

They should be covered under warranty, they were an original part of the car, right?

My truck didn't come with mats. I bought a set of "best quality" cloth mats at Pep Boys when I first got the truck. The driver's side has a hole almost all the way through and it looks disgusting, at 32k miles. I've been thinking of a set of those "custom fit" heavy-duty rubber mats you see advertised in some car magazines.

Goood point Ocnblu.... when priciing out a Cobalt online I remember

them costing $80,00 so they better be replaced under warranty!

They should be covered under warranty, they were an original part of the car, right?

My truck didn't come with mats.  I bought a set of "best quality" cloth mats at Pep Boys when I first got the truck.  The driver's side has a hole almost all the way through and it looks disgusting, at 32k miles.  I've been thinking of a set of those "custom fit" heavy-duty rubber mats you see advertised in some car magazines.

I think, for a truck, the custom-molded Husky Liners are some of the best. We put a set of Weathertech rubber ones in the Suburban at first (they're kinda thick rubber and floppy), but then I replaced the 2nd row one with a better fitting Husky liner.

They fit like OEM and, in a few seconds, are back to looking like new and not greasy, grimey, and disgusting like a carpet mat.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt that they're under warranty. I also doubt that they're $80 too, because that's just a rediculous price. Anyway I haven't worn a hole in mine yet, but there are two nice little depressions where the carpeting on the mats has been trodden down right under the gas and clutch pedals. Nothing to major, and nothing's worn away. I don't have that much less on the odo than you do though, mine's at about 21,650mi.

Maybe you dig your heel in too hard under acceleration?