The Taxi of Tomorrow is: The Nissan NV200

The Taxi of Tomorrow is:

The Nissan NV200

post-51-0-84645600-1304435929.jpg

Drew Dowdell - Chief Editor - CheersandGears.com

May 3, 2011

In a move that is certain to be controversial, the Taxi and Limousine Commission of New York has selected the Nissan NV200 to replace the city's aging Ford Crown Victoria fleet. Two of the other finalists where the Ford Transit Connect and an entry by the Turkish car maker Karsan who promised to build it's entry in Brooklyn. Winning the contract gives Nissan the exclusive rights to sell cabs in the city for 10 years.

Among the controversies is the fact that the NV200 is not handicap accessible like the Karsan design and unlike the Ford Transit Connect which is manufactured in Turkey, the manufacturer is not a domestic corporation. Currently, only 240 of the over 13,000 city cabs are handicapped accessible.

post-51-0-65312800-1304436412.jpg

Proposed interior of the Nissan NV200

More details from the Nissan Press Release:

post-51-0-32152700-1304441294.jpg

The Nissan NV200 taxi will be produced in North America at Nissan’s facility in Cuernavaca, Mexico. The Nissan NV200 taxi will be a modified version of the compact commercial vehicle currently available in global markets including Japan, Europe and China. Total manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) of the vehicle, with all planned standard features, will be around $29,000.

As part of the program, Nissan also will work with the City and taxi owners on a pilot program to study the use of zero-emission, electric vehicles as taxis. Nissan will provide up to six 100-percent electric Nissan LEAFs to taxi owners for testing in 2012 as well as the charging stations to support their use.

“The city’s Taxi of Tomorrow is the Nissan NV200 – and it’s going to be the safest, most comfortable and most convenient cab the city has ever had,” said Mayor Bloomberg. “We started this process to leverage our taxi industry’s purchasing power to get the highest quality taxi, one that that can expand and redefine the legendary image of New York City taxicabs. The new taxis will be custom-designed to meet the specific demands of carrying 600,000 passengers a day in New York City traffic and the vehicle meets the top priorities identified by the public in our on-line survey.”

Planned innovations, which respond to direct input from drivers, owners and passengers, include:

• 2.0L 4-cylinder powertrain, engineered to enhance the emission performance and fuel efficiency of the taxi fleet;
  • Ample room for four passengers and their luggage, substantially improved over current taxi models;
  • A low-annoyance horn with exterior lights that indicate when the vehicle is honking, helping reduce noise pollution;
  • Sliding doors with entry step and grab handles, providing easy entry and exit;
  • Transparent roof panel (with shade) that will provide unique views of the city;
  • Independently controlled rear air conditioning with a grape phenol-coated air filter to improve cabin air quality;
  • Attractive, breathable, antimicrobial, environmentally friendly and easy-to-clean seat fabric that simulates the look and feel of leather;
  • Overhead reading lights for passengers and floor lighting to help locate belongings;
  • A mobile charging station for passengers that includes a 12V electrical outlet and two USB plugs;
  • A six-way adjustable driver’s seat that features both recline and lumbar adjustments, even with a partition installed;
  • Standard driver’s navigation and telematics systems.

Nissan also focused on passenger safety when designing the NV200 taxi. Key safety features include:

• Front and rear-seat occupant curtain airbags, as well as seat-mounted airbags for the front row;
  • Standard traction control and Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC);
  • Sliding doors to reduce the risk of pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists getting struck by doors opening unexpectedly;
  • Lights that alert other road users that taxi doors are opening.

With more than 13,000 taxis traveling a cumulative 500 million miles per year, durability was a key factor in the “Taxi of Tomorrow” selection process. Nissan will train taxi fleet operators to conduct routine in-house service and repairs, and Nissan Commercial Vehicle dealers will provide prompt service by providing the first available service bay to taxi operators needing service.

Couple of things:

1) No Wheelchair access = automatic lawsuit.

2) Thanks NYC for trying to be the super patriotic city then going with Nissan who is using cheap Mexican labor to build the "van"

3) All that electronic gizmo crap will break quickly and won't be repaired = waste of money.

4) 10 year contract is absurd. No public enteity should be able to sign a purchasing contract that will last that long. Plus, I'm guessing there will be another 10 year option after the first few years that NYC can pick up if they are happy lazy.

This is going to get interesting when purveyors hate these things and cant get anything else.

Can we get Team Six to take out Bloomberg? He's done nothing but stupid things for NYC ever since he became mayor.

This totally should have gone to the Transit Connect, especially after years upon years of reliable service privided by millions of Crown Vics.

1) No Wheelchair access = automatic lawsuit.

The Crown Vic wasn't handicap accessible. At least the NV200 _could_ be made wheel chair accessible in the future... the current wheelchair accessible taxis in use a rear liftgate-style loading setup, which I'm sure could be implemented to double as the rear cargo area.

2) Thanks NYC for trying to be the super patriotic city then going with Nissan who is using cheap Mexican labor to build the "van"

As opposed to being patriotic using Canadians? Granted, the Canadians do get better wages, but they aren't part of the US... yet.

3) All that electronic gizmo crap will break quickly and won't be repaired = waste of money.

In the past, I would agree... but the NY TLC has been very good at keeping the current crop of installed electronic gizmos from being broken. Even though you still get some verbal claims of "broken card system", they usually actually work... but the driver's prefer you to use cash.

Its been a LONG time since I was in a NYC taxi with a glaring problem.

4) 10 year contract is absurd. No public enteity should be able to sign a purchasing contract that will last that long. Plus, I'm guessing there will be another 10 year option after the first few years that NYC can pick up if they are happy lazy.

Yeah, 10 years is a bit long, especially considering this isn't that much better than some of the minivan taxis that have been driving around NYC for the past 5 years.

I'm wondering about this contract. NYC does not own the taxis. And to the best of my knowledge, taxi companies can still purchase any car on the NY TLC approved taxicab list. I'm wondering if this purchase contract is for smaller companies that might buy through the city to get better rates, financing or something. Otherwise, is it a contract for Nissan exclusivity on the TLC approved taxicab list?

Bloomburg is just in it for the money. Nissan probably wrote him a big check. Bloomburg is the worst, yet I bet he somehow gets a 4th term.

This is going to get interesting when purveyors hate these things and cant get anything else.

Well, depending on what street (or borough) you stand on, you might not get any taxis even in 2011. ;-)

Apparently, you can get one of 6 Leaf taxis.

Seriously, I think NYers only care that the taxi is reasonably roomy. With the disappearance of the Crown Vic in five years (Taxicabs must be 5 years old or less), some sort of SUV or minivan taxi was the future... it looks like this will be roomier than the Transit Connect... and thats all I care about when riding.

I wonder how the EV tie in will work... the TLC has previously said that new taxis would have to be hybrids or better... which this appears to not be. Some greenies like taking one of the incredibly tight hybrid Prius or Altima taxis. (I took one once... will never again, as I took up the whole car.) I imagine these are as close to picky purveyors as you're going to get.

As a rider, I'm horrified by the 4 cylinder engine... my taxi will not be able to drive like Mad Max to get me to my destination.

As a driver alongside the taxis, I'm delighted by the 4 cylinder. I'm going to be able to chop up taxi traffic like a herd of cows. Those V8 powered CVs in the steel grip of a determined taxi driver were a real PITA to get around before.

See I was aiming the comment about accessibility assuming this is the only model. I know right now that there are accessible taxis in NYC. I'm sure a certain percentage have to be.

Also, the Turkish company was going to use Union American labor for assembly. I would still have pissed on Ford for not building them in the US.

See I was aiming the comment about accessibility assuming this is the only model. I know right now that there are accessible taxis in NYC. I'm sure a certain percentage have to be.

To my knowledge, there is no TLC requirement for any percentage of vehicles to be handicap accessible. 240 of 13,000 taxis means you aren't going to see many on the street. In fact, in 5 years, I have only seen one... granted it blended in pretty well, but it was clearly not a normal unit.

Perhaps there is a dispatch you can call for a special taxi... but at that point, its a "car service" (TLC regulates these, as well, but differently... the NV200 is not replacing the Town Car.)... and I'm sure there is at least one specialized car service for this need.

Yea- I would be interested to know how & why the age & make of taxis needs to be regulated, and what the specific restrictions are.

Well, I guess its like how in Atlantic City, the jitneys used to be basically any old jalopy with a sign on it... eventually, the Jitney Association required the Jitneys to be a specific color, body... and handicap accessible.

I don't know the history of the TLC, but the 5 year-or-newer requirement didn't start until about the '90... when at the time the Checkers were still driving around... and a lot of really trashed Chevies and Fords. I suppose Giuliani helped push it through as a way to clan up the city from the awful '70s and '80s. There was a huge uproar about the 5 year-or-newer rule... as the iconic Checkers would be phased out. So the Checkers were grandfathered in... pending rigorous inspections... IIUC, one fail, and the cab had to be retired...

I would think that simple functionality would be enough to keep certain vehicles out... but since the TLC has approved cars IMHO unsuitable (Prius) to be taxis, I feel the TLC has become a useless place for the mayor's friends to collect a salary.

The NV200, by the way, is a minivan smaller than the Quest and has been out in Europe and Asia since 2009..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_NV200

(trivia--it's predecessor in Europe was the Kubistar (cool name) that was based on the Renault Kangoo).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar