Cruze tops Camry for June

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/05/cruze-knocks-camry-out-of-best-selling-car-spot-for-june/

I see the Cruze is doing better than good in sales. I suspected with the numbers of them on the road I see that do not have Enterprise stickers on them.

I took a trip to Cleveland yesterday nad saw nearly 25 of them round trip on the road. I did not count parking lots or dealers.

I know winning June is not going to win the war but you need to win battles to win the war. The story here is a little biased. I know they like to blame the earth quake but I suspect it is more than lack of supply too. This car is what the average driver wants in a car. It may not be the first choice to Cheers and Gears fans but we are not the target market. Pricing has been good for what you get and there have been little quality issues other than the few under the mircoscope. This is how GM can built for the future. The addition of the new Malibu will be the next block.

I was suprised with the #4 finish of the present Malibu. It is a good car and even with age is still a good value. If they can keep the sales up a new car should do well. The Earthquake and limited availablilty may have helped move sales but the car is what got people to buy it. Lets face it there are many other choices they could have picked.

It goes back to giving people what they want not what they need.

A dark blue Focus SE Sport sedan pulled up next to me in traffic this morning, it was pretty snazzy looking. Maybe a bit too odd for some folks, as the unassuming Cruze topped them all in sales for June. The Cruze interior, even in base form, is very decent. It always amazes me how some cars look great to me in the beginning, but then fade out of favor when I see them in person, while others do not wow me at first, but then dig in and prove themselves in the end.

As for the subcompacts, I still believe I'll prefer my Ford to the upcoming Chevrolet, even with the horsepower advantage Chevy has. The Sonic interior just does not seem as nice, and the Ford is great fun to toss around a corner.

Now... a Cruze coupe or 2-door hatch could tempt me to return to GM....

I for one was under whelmed by the first Cruze I saw. It was a LT and a preproduction car with little on it. I saw the Ford and thought it may be in trouble.

But since now that I have seen better Cruze on the road it is a good looking car. To be honest I like it as it does not look like anything else and it not got some crazy styling that ages fast. It looks like a Chevy and does not have to be ashamed to do so.

The Ford on the other hand looks like a Mazda. The Hyundai's I feel will age fast in the styling department. They are trying to look like a cut rate Benz.

The key to the Cruze is it appeals to the main group buying cars today. It is no more a Cheers and Gear car. But then it should not be as what we all crave here would not sell in the top 10 for the most part. People like quality sedans with good MPG and comfort. They want something that will get them point to point affordaby and looks good but not wild. The Cruze delivers these in spades.

It has been termed a compact car for adults.

It will be interesting to see how the Buick takes off. In photo's I though what a mistake but in person it was a very nice looking car.

The Cruze is not a car I would want for myself but it is the car GM needs and the market wants. The key now is to keep the quality and features up and not cheapen the car. They need to make this car like wine and make it better with age.

This is the kind of car that can win hearts and minds of the paying public. The earthquake produciton cuts may have given more the open mind to test drive a Cruze but it was the car that has to sell itself. They could have gone to Honda or Hyundai very easily.

• 2 weeks later...