Spying: Lincoln MKS

William Maley

Spying: Lincoln MKS

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

November 4, 2011

post-10485-0-26862100-1320438874.png

The Lincoln MKS has been a poor seller during it's almost four years being on sale. Ford is hoping to change that with a new refresh that was announced earlier this year. Some new spy shots have come out of a new MKS undergoing some testing.

The front end of the MKS will lose the waterfall grill, going towards a more a new grill with many small chrome bars. Around back, the taillights get a new strip of LEDs and a new trunk lid.

The MKS is expected to get MyLincolnTouch, adaptive suspension, and the option all-wheel drive. Powertrains are expected to be the 3.7L V6 from the MKX and a new EcoBoost V6.

The refreshed MKS will go on sale sometime in 2012.

Source: Automobile Magazine

Ford just doesn't have the balls to take Lincoln to a level where it will shine. Lincoln styling is downmarket, materials quality is downmarket, and interior design is downmarket. This would be fine if it were priced against VW, but it isn't. Until Ford gets its band positioning under control, they will flounder with Lincoln. Anyway, now that Ford's unloaded the PAG, WHERE'S THEIR LUXURY BRAND?? Lincoln's about as "luxury" as Acura.

The Taurus has the better looking dash design of the two, IMO. The biggest design flaw w/ the Taurus and MKS IMO is the doors are too tall and flat--they seem F150 sized..need larger windows or section about 4-6 inches out of the body...

New grille, new lights, more power, adaptive suspension, and the same problem. It is still a FWD Taurus for $45,000. It still won't sell.

You just hit utter reality with your sarcasm...

The Taurus has the better looking dash design of the two, IMO. The biggest design flaw w/ the Taurus and MKS IMO is the doors are too tall and flat--they seem F150 sized..need larger windows or section about 4-6 inches out of the body...

Taurus is a heavy looking design...

Even the 65 Galaxie 500 had a light, elegant look...Ford has lost that...

65galaxie-mcdonald06sm.jpg

But the new Taurus is still a really nice looking car...

• Agree 1

I like a lot of things about the new Taurus. But the visibility out of the car is atrocious. The back glass is a slit to look through the mirror out the back of the car.. and what does Ford do? Put the 3rd brake light in the top center of the back glass, further blocking rearward vision. I mean, I like the idear of a high hip point, which in theory is supposed to help with visibility, but when you pair it with a super-high beltline, you're kind of nullifying any advantage you gained.

• Agree 1

I like a lot of things about the new Taurus. But the visibility out of the car is atrocious. The back glass is a slit to look through the mirror out the back of the car.. and what does Ford do? Put the 3rd brake light in the top center of the back glass, further blocking rearward vision. I mean, I like the idear of a high hip point, which in theory is supposed to help with visibility, but when you pair it with a super-high beltline, you're kind of nullifying any advantage you gained.

That's one thing I particularly didn't like when I drove one last year as a rental...hard to see out the back. One the of the things I love about the Panthers, as old they are, is the excellent outward visibility...almost airy compared to the dark cave the Taurus I drove was...

Panthers are really cool.

I am trying really hard not to buy one right now.

My buddy with the body shop has a pristine 04 black gmq ..minimal damage...I can buy it cheap...fix it for about two grand and make it perfect....70,000 original miles.,

Melikes!

I actually like the simplicity of the MKS dash. It has a minimum of buttons compared to so many other luxury cars. Simplicity is one of the things that lent the '61 Continental its classic status. The XTS dash looks a bit busier, plus it has some sort of dorky interface system that might not play well in Boca Raton.

I actually like the simplicity of the MKS dash. It has a minimum of buttons compared to so many other luxury cars. Simplicity is one of the things that lent the '61 Continental its classic status. The XTS dash looks a bit busier, plus it has some sort of dorky interface system that might not play well in Boca Raton.

It surely beats the Acura dashboards with their complexity...or the fake Star-ship Enterprise feel of the new Fiesta, Focus, Civic, et al.

The problem with the MKS dash is that all those buttons you see are from the Fusion, Taurus, or F-150. The plastic is hollow sounding, kinda like the plastic in a Lucerne. Sure it's all sewn together tightly, but for $63k, there are a lot better choices out there based on interior alone.

The problem with the MKS dash is that all those buttons you see are from the Fusion, Taurus, or F-150. The plastic is hollow sounding, kinda like the plastic in a Lucerne. Sure it's all sewn together tightly, but for $63k, there are a lot better choices out there based on interior alone.

That photo you posted just looks so dull. Lots of gray plastic with a little bit of matte silver trim. Very bland design.