Has the 2012 Beetle shaken the "chick car" image?

Hudson

I was given access to a 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo for a week recently. When I first drive the New Beetle about a dozen years ago, I liked the car but it felt like more of a toy than a car I'd buy or recommend. As the years passed, it seemed to find a niche...a feminine niche. Like certain other cars (Volkswagen Cabrio comes to mind), straight guys didn't pay attention to the car much except when the pilot was an attractive female. How do you replace a car that's got the double stigma of being "retro" and a "chick car?"

This new model did something right. I liked it and wouldn't mind driving it as my daily car.

What are your thoughts?

Full review at: http://automotivetra...r.com/jump/3572

Edited by Hudson
  • Agree 1

I think it has lost some of the chic status...it's a neat car...but IMHO I think the GTI is a better car, better looking, and overall nicer.

But i'd rock a Beetle...but then i drive a Miata.

I think it's a vastly improved car this time around. The 1.8t engine should do great in this car, along with the 2.0t and TDI. I think it looks much more macho than before, and I owned 2 '98s back in '98, before it became a chick car... to me, at first, it reminded me of a baby Porsche. This new one much moreso, though. Love the squared-off roof and shallower dash with 100% nicer materials.

they pulled all the right moves with the redo, except a good basic four banger.

they could still man it up a little more, but overall i give em a solid A for execution.

It's definitely more mannish than a stinkin little Mini now.......Mini's are right up there as ultimate chick cars now....

If they could rice up the front and rear fascias a bit on some special models I think they can do it.

folks this is one of the least diluted VW's out there now. VW is whoring their brand out now to any sort of vehicle they can. Be damned happy any of their cars will have this kind of character in the US in five years.......

Edited by regfootball

Finding a car with any sort of character is becoming more and more difficult as automakers are dialing out any personality. These homogenous cars are becoming the norm. The Beetle has character, especially with the turbo engine. I'm currently driving the Passat TDI which has character...for a family sedan. Not as much as, say, the Kia Optima, but it's not an Accord or Camry.

I was at Kroger and saw 1 in the flesh for the first time and was stunned at how good it looked, I was literally floored. NOT a chick car any more. I just went to the build it site and no diesel yet also the turbo hit $30k not a very good value, and that's w/o the auto stick

The inside is certainly much nicer than the previous car. I like the outside. But I think the beatle has permanent stigma damage.

I can see that since Paul is STILL the cute one.

Wow... took me a minute... ;)