Toyota recalls 57,000

Newbiewar

Link to Article

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. said on Wednesday it is recalling 11,000 Lexus cars in Japan and 46,000 overseas to fix a faulty seat belt part.

Toyota will replace seat belts in both front seats, which can become jammed inside the holding due to a faulty part, it said.

The affected cars are Lexus GS and IS sedans.

No accidents have been reported due to the defect, it said.

Toyota, close to overtaking General Motors Corp. as the world's No.1 seller of automobiles, has sold 15,000 Lexus GS and IS in Japan since it ushered in the 16-year-old Lexus brand to its home market in August 2005 in what it said is a major step toward taking on top luxury marques everywhere else.

It did not disclose estimated recall costs.

Copyright 2006 Reuters

Toyota, close to overtaking General Motors Corp. as the world's No.1 seller of automobiles

Talk about an unnecessary quote! Holycow it doesn't get much worse than that.

Japanese cars seem to have crappy seatbelt designs that treat the slightest movement as a high G-force impact, locking the retractor and forcing you to completely unbuckle and rebuckle the belt to get any freedom of movement back. I've never had the problem in a domestic; even if the retractor locks, I just lean back a bit and it frees up quickly.

Japanese cars seem to have crappy seatbelt designs that treat the slightest movement as a high G-force impact, locking the retractor and forcing you to completely unbuckle and rebuckle the belt to get any freedom of movement back. I've never had the problem in a domestic; even if the retractor locks, I just lean back a bit and it frees up quickly.

Yeah I hate that sooooooo much...the back seatbelts of a Focus do it to though.

A little bit of an exageration, but I do know what you are talking about, in both my Civic and Integra.

THis actually made my local news telecast.

Of course it did. Mine too. Actually I just heard the teaser which did not specify Lexus... just "A Japanese automaker". I won't bother ranting about how the media just smeared all Japanese automakers for no reason. :P

FOG's insane ravings aside, the media gives equal opportunity to sensational news. Ford, GM, and Chrysler just have many more recalls that Toyota and Honda.

Of course it did.  Mine too.  Actually I just heard the teaser which did not specify Lexus... just "A Japanese automaker".  I won't bother ranting about how the media just smeared all Japanese automakers for no reason.  :P 

FOG's insane ravings aside, the media gives equal opportunity to sensational news.  Ford, GM, and Chrysler just have many more recalls that Toyota and Honda.

thats because toyota and honda try not to recall stuff... they cover it under warranty or something...

thats because toyota and honda try not to recall stuff... they cover it under warranty or something...

As a general rule that probably applies to all automakers. But it isn't really possible as recalls are often forced. Even the recalls that aren't forced are more than likely done because they are going to be forced, or to try to mitigate legal liability.

Ford has had 9 times the number of recalls/year over the past ~15 years as Toyota. Chevy anout 6 times as many as Toyota.

Things have gotten better recently for the domestics, but we have to be fair and realistic. We wouldn't say that Ford and Chevy are doing better because they are covering things up.

Hmm......seatbelt failure....gee I think I'd be firing an engineer or some other stupid-head for that one....And I for one know that the Nipponese like to have their seatbelts lock up and stay that way anytime you even use mildly heavy brake authority....friend of mine's camry would damn near choke you if you had to get on the binders too heavy.

Apparently Lexus is giving the owners free iPod nanos when they bring their car in for the recall work. It doesn't make the situation any better, but it does help keep good relations with the owner. And as long as they keep doing things like this, they will stay in a positive light with the owners in spite of recalls.

Apparently Lexus is giving the owners free iPod nanos when they bring their car in for the recall work. It doesn't make the situation any better, but it does help keep good relations with the owner. And as long as they keep doing things like this, they will stay in a positive light with the owners in spite of recalls.

now thats a damn good idea!

although probably not the cheapest solution... a very good idea... to bad GM doesnt have that kinda money laying around

Great so Lexass is buying people off to get them to ignore their recall-mobiles. :stupid:

Maybe enough of them will smarten up and buy a real car at their nearest Buick, Pontiac or Chevy dealer instead of wasting their time on these Jap traps.

Dump your Lexass folks, it ain't all that its cracked up to be. Just an over priced Toyota hunk of shiyte.

Great so Lexass is buying people off to get them to ignore their recall-mobiles.  :stupid:

Maybe enough of them will smarten up and buy a real car at their nearest Buick, Pontiac or Chevy dealer instead of wasting their time on these Jap traps.

Dump your Lexass folks, it ain't all that its cracked up to be. Just an over priced Toyota hunk of shiyte.

Can you read?

Lexus 1st recall for the LS400 involved them sending mechanics to the owner's home.

They had to fly one out to Alaska.

So lexus is really going to spend 8.5 million dollars on giving out 57,000 Ipod nanos.....on top of the the vehicle repairs?? :o

They should be required to pay an extra couple billion in US taxes, for our country allowing them to sell their overpriced $h! here. Heck, they probably already do.....except directly into the politicians' pockets! :cussing:

Lexus sure does know marketing/customer service. I wish GM/Caddy would take a note of this.

Then again I've never heard anything good about customer service at regular Toyota dealerships...so maybe GM shouldn't take note there. :lol:

Great so Lexass is buying people off to get them to ignore their recall-mobiles.  :stupid:

So lexus is really going to spend 8.5 million dollars on giving out 57,000 Ipod nanos.....on top of the the vehicle repairs?? :o

They should be required to pay an extra couple billion in US taxes, for our country allowing them to sell their overpriced $h! here.  Heck, they probably already do.....except directly into the politicians' pockets! :cussing:

You are such experts... have any of you actually driven a Lexus?

I don't have to be an expert to see that if Toyota can waste 8.5 million dollars on giving away Ipod nanos, and not even blink an eye........then yes their vehicles are overpriced. They could be selling them cheaper, and still be making major profit off the stupid Americans that buy them.

I've only driven one Lexus back in the late 90's, and was not impressed. Maybe they are better now? Doesn't seem like it with recalls, and that one forum posting about oil leaks and bad transmissions.

I don't have to be an expert to see that if Toyota can waste 8.5 million dollars on giving away Ipod nanos, and not even blink an eye........then yes their vehicles are overpriced.  They could be selling them cheaper, and still be making major profit off the stupid Americans that buy them.

I've only driven one Lexus back in the late 90's, and was not impressed.  Maybe they are better now?  Doesn't seem like it with recalls, and that one forum posting about oil leaks and bad transmissions.

:withstupid:

But then there are the fairly major things that the Japanese *should* recall, but don't.

1. Toyota's engine sludging

2. Honda's Odessy and TL transmissions breaking.

Wasn't it shown that Toyota's engine sludge problem was prone to engines that had gone a significant amount of mileage inbetween oil changes...? I read the engines affected all had gone like 15K-20K miles between changes......and Toyota states an oil change interval of something like 7,500 in their warranty info....?

If that IS indeed true.....then I say "Shame consumer" not "Shame Toyota".....

But then there are the fairly major things that the Japanese *should* recall, but don't.

Everybody is doing it, do a research about the CTS's rear differential.

Edited by Member55

In today's Toronto Bleeding Star, they published (with huge headlines, of course) the terrible plight of a person with a 1999 Century that has 125,000 km (75,000 miles) and he has been told the intake gasket is leaking. Huge, bold headlines, surrounded by a Toyota ad and a Honda ad.

THINGS THAT MAKE ME GO HMMMMMM......

Now, my point here is that a 1999 Honda or Toyota would have needed a timing belt replacement by now, which Honda considers MAINTENANCE and, therefore, avoids the wrath of CR and other rags. Yet, when GM has an intake gasket go, because it is a repair, it warrants huge headlines and bashing from the usual media suspects.

Those of you who can, should pick up a copy of the Star today. This happens far too often to be a coincidence.

Yes.

Hush money! :ph34r:

Aren't you not supposed to talk about your bad Lexus transmission in exchange for the gas card??

While I do believe that, to some extent.  Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

I wonder how trouble-free your precious 300 will be by the time it reaches 200,000km, and how many recalls it will have in the meantime. If Lexus buyers are so stupid, then why is the resale value of Lexus and Toyota so high? Your Chrysler is probably worth about half now.

I wonder how trouble-free your precious 300 will be by the time it reaches 200,000km, and how many recalls it will have in the meantime.  If Lexus buyers are so stupid, then why is the resale value of Lexus and Toyota so high?  Your Chrysler is probably worth about half now.

Well, considering it cost half as much as a Lexus, then yeah.....right now it is probably worth half......as much as a Lexus. All while looing like it costs more, and performing just as well.....or better than the ones with leaking oil, bad transmissions, and faulty seatbelts.

It has had one recall for a coolant resevoir bracket. It could possibly have broke and damage a belt.

Problems after 40,000 miles:

Loose speaker grille - fixed under warrranty

Noise from moon roof - Bolt tightened under warranty

Bad windshield wiper switch - Replaced under warranty.

......and I bought one the first ones off the line! :thumbsup:

Kind of reminds me of a certain leaking gasket causing engine failure that GM is not recalling.

It is too bad that such things happen, but they really don't create an equal level between Toyota/Honda and Ford/GM in terms of the number of recalls.

I know the sludging was recalled, at least here in Canada, I heard there was something done about the Odyssey and TL, not sure though.

I know the sludging was recalled, at least here in Canada, I heard there was something done about the Odyssey and TL, not sure though.

Stateside, I don't think anything was done about it, since there wansnt a flurry of "OMG Toyota/Honda is doing a recall!!" reports on the news and since my cousin bought a last-gen Odyssey. But the whole recall thing just makes me want to smile--proof to everyone that Toyota/Honda arent the undisputed leaders in vehicle quality.